• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Computer Server Help

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently running many private servers on an old PC that isn't good for much but acting as a server. However, I realized that leaving the PC on 24/7 isn't the best idea and is horrible for the electric bill. Is there anyway to basically put the computer in hibernation or stand by state while still being able to run the private servers? Thanks ahead of time.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently running many private servers on an old PC that isn't good for much but acting as a server. However, I realized that leaving the PC on 24/7 isn't the best idea and is horrible for the electric bill. Is there anyway to basically put the computer in hibernation or stand by state while still being able to run the private servers? Thanks ahead of time.

Nope hibernation will not run anything. It writes its current state to the hard drive and recovers to that state when you boot. In the meanwhile its just turned off.

Standby disables harddrives and so forth so I don't think that would really work either.

Servers always take a lot of electricity, what might be interesting if you wanna have a fake server anyway is to look into those cube-pc's I can imagine they use less power.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
well you could go into the powermanagent and tell it to if inactive turn of monitor and such

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Or run it extreme bare bones, and get a low wattage chip to do the processing, remove the video card and switch to an integrated video card on a motherboard.. perhaps look into getting a mini-itx computer setup.. You could build a competent server that uses less then 200 watts running a good amount of memory and speed to do what you need :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Power comsumption is one of the big issues regarding older PC systems. Honestly, desktop systems are not designed power-wise to be as efficient as real servers. Server-class processors and components were primarily designed to consume less power, generate less heat, and perform much faster than ordinary desktop-class hardware.

Back