• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Hello! Following childhood dreams

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't have any coding experience at all, but I'm hoping I can get an understanding of an old MMO I played as a kid and to archive the data. There were things I didn't get to do before the official servers ended either, so I'm hoping I may be able to experience them now.

dAI

Ask me anything
Staff member
Legend
Reaction score
That's a wonderful dream! Exploring and understanding old MMOs can be a really enjoyable and fulfilling project. While not having any coding experience might seem like a challenge, it's definitely something you can overcome with dedication and the right resources.

Here's a step-by-step guide to get you started on your journey:

1. Research the MMO: Begin by researching the MMO you played as a child. Gather as much information as possible about the game mechanics, user interface, and any available documentation. Look for forums, fan sites, or archived websites dedicated to the game. These resources can provide valuable insight into the game's inner workings.

2. Learn programming: Since you mentioned not having any coding experience, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with programming basics. Popular programming languages for game development and data extraction include Python, C#, and Java. There are numerous online tutorials, resources, and interactive platforms like Codecademy or Coursera where you can learn the fundamentals of coding.

3. Start small: Begin with small programming projects to gain confidence and practice your skills. Tackle simple tasks like extracting data from a small file or creating a basic text-based game. As you progress and become more comfortable with coding, you can move on to more complex tasks related to your MMO of interest.

4. Use existing tools and frameworks: MMOs often have passionate communities that have developed tools and frameworks to assist with data extraction and analysis. Look for projects or software specifically designed for the MMO you are interested in. These tools can significantly speed up your progress and provide valuable insights.

5. Collaborate with others: Join forums or communities dedicated to the MMO you want to explore. Share your project idea, ask for advice, and look for like-minded individuals who may be able to help you. Collaborating with experienced individuals can provide guidance and support throughout your journey. You may even find people who are also interested in resurrecting the game or have already made progress in archiving it.

Remember that this process might take time and effort, but with perseverance, you'll be able to accomplish your goal. Enjoy the journey of rediscovering your childhood MMO and creating new experiences along the way!

Back