Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GTX 275 vs GTX 285

Which card?

• GTX275

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • GTX285

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Looking at both the GTX 275 and the GTX 285 from nvidia, the prices are around

Reaction score
Go AMD, that's what I would suggest. The 4890 costs the same as the 275. Though performance between the two cards is great. At normal resolutions (16x10 and below), the 4890 is on par with the 285 and in most cases a little faster. It's not until XHD resolutions (19x12 and higher) is where the 285 pulls ahead.

Sure you do not get Physix with the AMD card but that's not a big deal. AMD has announced that their GPUs will still be able to render physics with the next Havok engine. Now when it comes down to Havok vs Physix support, Havok has been the industry standard for many many years. So you can expect most games next year to support GPU physics via Havok.

I personally have the 4870X2 and I love that card. Runs anything just fine. The drivers are a little lacking as you can't make profiles but I can't really complain as they do work very well.

NoPeace - out

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Go AMD, that's what I would suggest. The 4890 costs the same as the 275. Though performance between the two cards is great. At normal resolutions (16x10 and below), the 4890 is on par with the 285 and in most cases a little faster. It's not until XHD resolutions (19x12 and higher) is where the 285 pulls ahead.

Sure you do not get Physix with the AMD card but that's not a big deal. AMD has announced that their GPUs will still be able to render physics with the next Havok engine. Now when it comes down to Havok vs Physix support, Havok has been the industry standard for many many years. So you can expect most games next year to support GPU physics via Havok.

I personally have the 4870X2 and I love that card. Runs anything just fine. The drivers are a little lacking as you can't make profiles but I can't really complain as they do work very well.

NoPeace - out

I am running at 19x12 resolution, and the driver support which has been ongoing for the ATI cards for a while now I am aware some newer drivers where released recently which ups compatibility alot. This just makes the GTX275 more appealing to me.

Lewis.

Edit: Do you know how overclockable the 4890 is as i've just looked at the price and its quite appealing :D

Edit2: Just had a little look around, shows how close the two cards are, in memory reliant games the ATI comes out trumps.

Reaction score
I am running at 19x12 resolution, and the driver support which has been ongoing for the ATI cards for a while now I am aware some newer drivers where released recently which ups compatibility alot. This just makes the GTX275 more appealing to me.

Lewis.

Edit: Do you know how overclockable the 4890 is as i've just looked at the price and its quite appealing :D

Edit2: Just had a little look around, shows how close the two cards are, in memory reliant games the ATI comes out trumps.

I really can't complain about the driver support from AMD. Unlike nVidia, they do correct most problems quickly and they release drivers monthly. I remember at a time when I couldn't play BF2 because there was a bug in the nVidias drivers. It actually took them 8 months to fix it! I've never had that problem with AMD. Also take a look at the reviews on the Windows 7 drivers. AMD either stays the same or actually gets better where as nVidia cards drop on average 30% moving to the new OS.

Also take a look at other reviews wish shows other games. It really depends on what games you are playing. For the most part, the 4890 is in between the 275 and 285. It really just determines on the game you are playing.

Also, what I don't like about the current generation of nVidia cards are that they run extremely hot! Which is something I really can't stand as chip creep could happen because of it.

As for how overclockable the 4890 is. I have no clue, I don't own one. It should be able to go much higher then my 4870 though. That's for sure, but the real key is if you stick to the stock cooling or going to water. Water will allow you to run it at max settings in the driver with no problem.

Also, one thing that I've always loved about ATI/AMD cards is that colors just appear more richer on them. I've noticed this back on my 9700 Pro and every ATI card since. They just produce more richer colors.

Like when I had my x850XT. That card sucked balls in terms of performance especially when I upgraded to a 7800GTX. Though one thing that I didn't like when I moved to the superior nVidia card is that colors were just not as good. The same applied to the 7900GTX and 8800GTX and even the new GT200 chips are the same from what I've seen. This isn't something that is talked about much but it is really apparent when you use them. For the majority of the time, I can tell what company makes the video card by just look at the screen. It's just one of those subtle things.

NoPeace - out

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I really can't complain about the driver support from AMD. Unlike nVidia, they do correct most problems quickly and they release drivers monthly. I remember at a time when I couldn't play BF2 because there was a bug in the nVidias drivers. It actually took them 8 months to fix it! I've never had that problem with AMD. Also take a look at the reviews on the Windows 7 drivers. AMD either stays the same or actually gets better where as nVidia cards drop on average 30% moving to the new OS.

Also take a look at other reviews wish shows other games. It really depends on what games you are playing. For the most part, the 4890 is in between the 275 and 285. It really just determines on the game you are playing.

Also, what I don't like about the current generation of nVidia cards are that they run extremely hot! Which is something I really can't stand as chip creep could happen because of it.

As for how overclockable the 4890 is. I have no clue, I don't own one. It should be able to go much higher then my 4870 though. That's for sure, but the real key is if you stick to the stock cooling or going to water. Water will allow you to run it at max settings in the driver with no problem.

Also, one thing that I've always loved about ATI/AMD cards is that colors just appear more richer on them. I've noticed this back on my 9700 Pro and every ATI card since. They just produce more richer colors.

Like when I had my x850XT. That card sucked balls in terms of performance especially when I upgraded to a 7800GTX. Though one thing that I didn't like when I moved to the superior nVidia card is that colors were just not as good. The same applied to the 7900GTX and 8800GTX and even the new GT200 chips are the same from what I've seen. This isn't something that is talked about much but it is really apparent when you use them. For the majority of the time, I can tell what company makes the video card by just look at the screen. It's just one of those subtle things.

NoPeace - out

I know a few people who have had bad experiences with ATI in the past, since then it has obviously changed for about a year there was no compatible drivers for Far Cry 2 and Dead Space and probably a lot of other games at that time. I'm not trying to rip a card here, as i've already purchased the GTX 275 now as you know :) Despite all this I think the cards rank pretty fairly, and the high temps aren't really much to worry about as GPUs can take a lot more stick than a CPU, and my card has a 5 year warranty and I doubt i'll be keeping the card 5 years so I'm not really worried if anything does go wrong. Also for the higher end resolution on higher end games the GTX 275 does out-perform the 4890 in the majority of the cases so for that reason I purchased it, I am even considering going SLi with it :eek:

Lewis.

Reaction score
I know a few people who have had bad experiences with ATI in the past, since then it has obviously changed for about a year there was no compatible drivers for Far Cry 2 and Dead Space and probably a lot of other games at that time. I'm not trying to rip a card here, as i've already purchased the GTX 275 now as you know :) Despite all this I think the cards rank pretty fairly, and the high temps aren't really much to worry about as GPUs can take a lot more stick than a CPU, and my card has a 5 year warranty and I doubt i'll be keeping the card 5 years so I'm not really worried if anything does go wrong. Also for the higher end resolution on higher end games the GTX 275 does out-perform the 4890 in the majority of the cases so for that reason I purchased it, I am even considering going SLi with it :eek:

Lewis.

Far Cry 2 and Dead Space haven't been out for a year. Lol. They did have some driver issues, for two weeks that is. They were quickly fixed.

Though I do have to admit there are some bad stuff with ATI cards in the past. Like I said the x850XT was a piece of crap. Can't believed I spent $500 on it when I could have spent $550 on a 6800 Ultra.

Though, that was the only problem card from ATI that I have owned. the x1900XTX was an amazing card which I loved a lot. It was so much superior to my 7900GTX. Though I do have to admit, first generation CrossFire with the dongle was horrible and driver support for CrossFire was non existent for most games.

Though now with the current implementation with CrossFire, I'm pretty damn happy. It works for most games and you do see better scaling then with SLI. The great thing also is that AMD does release drivers monthly so at most you must wait a month for a driver to come out for your new game. Unlike with SLI, it might take a few months. Though SLI does allow you to come edit the game profiles which is something I did love a lot.

Also, it's true that a GPU can take more then a CPU but watch out. At temps of 100c, you will get chip creep which is what happens with x360s when they get RRoD. ;)

NoPeace - out

Back