• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Gtx 275

Master Summoner
Reaction score
With the release of the GTX 275 i've decided to upgrade my crappy BFG 9600GT OC2. I've got a Q6600 @ 3.0ghz now, 4GB DDR2 PC6400. And a 500W PSU.

I was just wondering if a 500W PSU would work with this setup, as the recommended PSU output for a GTX275 is 550W. Although i'm quite confident it will run, I was just looking for a second opinion.

Lewis.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hmmm.. If i were in this situation.. I would personally sell that 500W and then save up a few extra bucks and purchase a 600w + BUT thats what i would do. I mean it allows for future upgrades as some products may require a bit more umpfh in the future. But thats just me. Besides PSUs arent that expensive if know where to buy.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
It will work imo, anyway you can check this

Master Summoner
Reaction score
it works fine.

500W may be enough but even if it is, it will need to be upgraded in the future. Imo just get a newer one, they aiint expensive.

I would but its brand new :p OCZ Stealth 500W

Lewis.

Reaction score
You do realize that the draw of a 3.0ghz Q6600 is about 140-150w on it's own?

You really need a 550w PSU. They suggest things for a reason after all. It will probably run but as soon as you start doing a lot to work your system then it might become unstable. Also after 2 years, you will only be outputting at most 450w. Which will not be enough to run your stable for gaming.

NoPeace - out

Back