Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] A Guide To Lapping

Master Summoner
Reaction score
OK, because there's not one on here and it's quite simple to do but some of you may not know how to or of lapping.

I'm not responsible for anything you do, if you follow this guide well then you will have a better chance of just going and doing it with no experience, if you still think something was not covered in the guide and do not want to proceed then please post and I will do my best to clear things up.

***This WILL void your warranty.***

Lapping is a process which takes a small layer of the CPU or Heat sink off to make the surface completely flat, this helps to make better contact and the heat dissipation is increased reducing the overall temp of the processor.

For this you will need
  • Patience
  • 200-1000++ grit (Dry/Wet paper)
  • CPU/Heat sink
  • Thermal Paste
  • Some kind of thermal paste cleaner
  • Tape
  • Some elbow grease

First start off by taking the 200grit paper and placing it on a flat surface, tape it down and you can begin.

LifeExpired - [Guide] A Guide To Lapping - RaGEZONE Forums

You will need to put a cover over the CPU or wear clean gloves whilst holding it to protect the back from dirt and scratches.

Hold it with two or three fingers and then you can place it on the paper, once on the paper you can begin to move it across, make a mark on the covering of the CPU or use the pins on the back as I have to see which way you started from.

Remember to let the CPU/Heat sink take its own weight, NO PRESSURE is to be applied at all as this will begin grinding the surface and you will take more than you need to off.

On each grit you will need to do at least 3 cycles of 120 going up and down the grit paper turning the chip 90 degrees every 30 strides. Sometimes you will find you need to do more than 3 cycles, you will eventually come to a point in each grit where you can do no more.

Start from 200 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000

For this I have gone for 260 - 380 - 500 - 800 - 1200 it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as your moving up gradually.

After a few strides of 260grit.

3 Cycles of 260grit

4 Cycles of 380grit

3 Cycles of 800 grit

2 more 800grit cycles and 5 Cycles of 1200 grit

Reflection is alot better and shows the processor is alot smoother if you use up to 2500 grit. But this is the end result of 1200grit.

Quick picture of my pasted processor in the computer.

If you have any other questions please post!

Lewis.

Oh quick disclaimer, don't rip this content it is mine and you do not have permission without asking me first.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sorry.. was kinda skimming...

I thought the best way to use this stuff was to go all in one direction with one and then with the next higher grit go in the opposite direction and repeat...and that leaves you with the best look...even though this isn't about looks. :p

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Sorry.. was kinda skimming...

I thought the best way to use this stuff was to go all in one direction with one and then with the next higher grit go in the opposite direction and repeat...and that leaves you with the best look...even though this isn't about looks. :p

I don't think it really matters which way you do it on the lower grits, but when you get up into the thousands your basically just polishing the surface, so going in one direction would make sense. Hope that helps!

Lewis.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up! I'll try this when I get my i7 and hope I don't ruin it... hehe

Master Summoner
Reaction score
So what are the actual results?

I'm still to get some more wet/dry paper for my heat sink, I used more than expected on the CPU. But I've dropped about 3C on all four cores, however on my older builds i've had anything from 1C - 10C drop, depends how low the temps where before I guess.

Lewis.

Reaction score
The results from lapping will vary greatly by what processor you have. With AMD CPUs, you wont see much as their surfaces are quite smooth. With Intel CPUs, the older ones where often concaved. So by lapping you are able to make a smooth surface to come in contact with a smooth heat sink block.

Also, if you have a dual die chip like Core 2 Quads, you can expect to see a pretty decent change in load temps. Since this will smooth out the surface to evenly cover both dies.

Also, I highly recommend cleaning with denatured alcohol after each step. It just makes things a little easier and you must do this at the end to make sure the contacts are clean.

NoPeace - out

Back