Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Help] Cpu or Gpu

Reaction score
I recently got a old card ati radeon 9600 xt , also known as x1050 with 256mb ddr2. Now I tried to play Perfect World , but unless there is almost no one around me , the FPS is varying from 2 to 10 , if there is no one around me besides monsters , it goes up to 25-30, which according to their minimum system requirements SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

On the other hand , I tried to pull down all settings to minimum. Which increased from 2 FPS to 5 ...

But , I also have an awful old CPU now , 2.2ghz athlon x64 (doesn't even play flash videos on any page), and have 2 GB ram. Now I wonder what causes the HUGE Fps drops , the CPU or GPU , because if its the CPU , I might be able to change it.

Reaction score
I recently got a old card ati radeon 9600 xt , also known as x1050 with 256mb ddr2. Now I tried to play Perfect World , but unless there is almost no one around me , the FPS is varying from 2 to 10 , if there is no one around me besides monsters , it goes up to 25-30, which according to their minimum system requirements SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

On the other hand , I tried to pull down all settings to minimum. Which increased from 2 FPS to 5 ...

But , I also have an awful old CPU now , 2.2ghz athlon x64 (doesn't even play flash videos on any page), and have 2 GB ram. Now I wonder what causes the HUGE Fps drops , the CPU or GPU , because if its the CPU , I might be able to change it.

Why do you keep making threads outlining absolute low-end specs and wondering why you're lagging?

Your specs just barely scratch at the lowest required specs, which guarantees that the game will run - not that it will be at a playable FPS.

Now if you know your CPU can't even play flash games, how are you expecting it to play a 3D MMO? Isn't that quite obviously your cause of lag?

Common sense man, Info Tech is 75% common sense and 25% knowing your poop. Even if you don't know poop you can still get by as long as you use common sense and actually apply the information you already know.

buy a cheap 1155 mobo for $40, buy a cheap sandy-bridge celeron chip for $40, buy a 4GB DDR3 kit for $20. $100 invested in a new backbone and it will be multiple times better than what you have now, plus the integrated GPU in the celeron will be 5x faster than what you have now.

Reaction score
Well , I did fix this , and there was nothing wrong with my old PC , it was just overheating CPU , thus causing the extreme FPS drop. After I re-installed the heat sink the FPS went up to 30.

But I bought a "new" pc this weekend so thanks anyways. Mobo Asus M4N78-AM V2 , Amd 5200+ x64 dual core , radeon hd 2400 pro.

However , now when I play games , they speed up like I have a time machine or something. I went on some forums and they suggested disabling Physics , which ... I don't think I have for my ATI card. Even Minecraft runs like a sped up video. :|

Last edited:
Back