Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[HELP] MUEMU DataServer and JoinServer could not connect to database

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Recently I moved back home from my parents house and this started to happen. Before, JoinServer would get this error, however restarting it a couple times fixed. Now both DS and JS got this error. I already reinstalled SQL Server, checked the ODBC (the Windows test runs fine, so ODBC is fine), also I can freely connect to Management Studio, with both Windows and SQL auth. Also the server is running on a private network (RadminVPN), so I don't think it could be port problems. Starting game without those process does not lead to disconnect, but server list don't show up. Anything else I can be missing?
Running on:
Windows 10 Pro
SQL Server 2008 R2 Express
MUEMU Season 6 files (compiled from source).

RaGEZONER Since 2004
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It is probably ODBC error have your tried to check MuOnline at ODBC and recheck the connection if still connects on your MuOnline Database, if you are using Avast Antivirus we noticed that this Antivirus now blocking ODBC to connects on MSSQL sometime so it is better to disable it for meantime while developing your server.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Delete your old ODBC. Even you see them configured, doesn't mean they are configured corectly.
Delete them and do it manualy. I had same problem.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What error are you getting?
"Could not connect to database"

I use no antivirus (besides Win Defender) and also disabled my firewall and still nothing.
About the ODBC, I already remade them, and as I said, the Windows connection test runs good on it.

iuripugliero - [HELP] MUEMU DataServer and JoinServer could not connect to database - RaGEZONE Forums

Ps: when making the ODBC, the server and database were also found by windows

Upvote 0
Reaction score
if the normal odbc guide dont work from this video do the same thing but choose SQL Native server when creating ODBC for MuOnline and MuOnlineJoinDB, also show us what u put in your configs, ports dont have nothin to do with odbc or running dataserver,joinserver so its clearly still odbc issue.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Man the configs are fine, the DataServer was running two weeks ago. Since then, the only thing changed was my internet connection, this is why I asked about ports There is no related issue between internet access configs and local sql server? Also, as I told, the ODBC test on windows run goods with both, windows and sql authentication. Any chance the local ip be different than 127.0.0.1? For the AllowableIpList.txt I mean

Upvote 0
RaGEZONER Since 2004
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Man the configs are fine, the DataServer was running two weeks ago. Since then, the only thing changed was my internet connection, this is why I asked about ports There is no related issue between internet access configs and local sql server? Also, as I told, the ODBC test on windows run goods with both, windows and sql authentication. Any chance the local ip be different than 127.0.0.1? For the AllowableIpList.txt I mean
I think there is no problem even you changed internet connection as long you setup the server as localhost 127, try to test out the server with hamachi to test out if will work on hamachi then it should be problem with IP's. But I think even you changed connection still the dataserver and joinserver runs on 127.0.0.1 so nothing wrong with the changing net connection thing.

I have some free time today, message me and I help you. Install teamviewer so I can check your configs then once teamviewer install send the Teamviewer ID and Pass to me via PM, I am only have free time today.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Local IP is not 127.0.0.1. This is named "localhost" and it's defined in your "hosts" file in System folder, and yeah, many are confused by this.

When it comes to Local IP, most of the time people refers to as Local Area Network IP (LAN IP - 192.168.*.*), not Localhost IP (127.0.0.1).

IP 127.0.0.1 is your Loopback IP address for your Loopback Adapter and it can't be changed because it's a standard. (You can change the "localhost" name, but not the IP).

Running an application on 127.0.0.1 is not the same thing as running one on 192.168.1.100 for example, because 127.0.0.1 is using the internal loopback adapter and 192.168.*.* is using the Network Adapter from your integrated or dedicated network card, which the IP is allocated by a DHCP server (a router in most cases) in your LAN. You can't do nothing with it but use it locally in your machine in case of using localhost address.

"AllowableIpList.txt" it's for what/who can connect remotely through Internet to your DataServers. Leave it 127.0.0.1.
You are running the server on localhost (127.0.0.1), so nothing from outside should connect directly to your DataServers without the connection and packets being checked by ConnectServer and GameServer.

Try setup the ODBCs for both x64 and x32 because sometimes, running on newer operating systems it happens that server repacks have no idea about x64 and x32 so having both should be fine. It must have the same ODBC name tho. (It happened to me).

But, if the server list is not showing up, means that something is blocking your Connect Server to send the server list packet to the client, or even both Connect Server and Game Server are blocked, or bad IP configuration.

Also, running a server into a private network it could be overkill and make problems which you can't control that easy. (easier to have NO-IP DNS and make it publicly available).

RadminVPN is some sort of Hamachi or Tunngle-like softwares?
If it's like Hamachi or Tunngle, then you have to make sure your VPN's IP is set into your files (IpList - probably not existing in MuEMU, MapServerInfo, Connect Server config files).
Don't edit any IP in your server config files besides IpList, MapServerInfo, Connect Server config files. The rest MUST be 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

If it's not working, try testing with your LAN IP, not VPN's IP and if it's working with your LAN IP, you are eliminating other problems regarding IPs.

Make sure also that your AH_INFO and MainInfo are set with your IP when you generate the files for the client.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sorry could only made it home right now.

So I tried making the ODBC in 32 bits too, in both SQL and SQL Native. None of them worked.
About the Radmin, yes, it is just like Hamachi, and used to work well tho. Also, the connect server log says that both, gamer server and cs server are loaded sucessfully.
About the ips, I do tried adding my local machine ip (192.168.xx.xx) and my network too (192.168.xx.xx) on the AllowableIpList.txt, but just because I didn't really knew what that file was about.
I know the IP things and all, it was just mispelled, my concern is how it could stop working just after changing my internet connection, specially using a private network wich should "filter" any changes above. How could it stop the dataserver from acessing localhost? It looks really weird to me

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Alright. Yeah, it's a bit weird. It's more like how the DataServer is connecting to the SQL through ODBC.
I Am No Limit is right cause DataServers are not running on a specific IP, but on 127.0.0.1, so I have no idea.
Your Internet connection is not the culprit, but something else happened on your computer probably.

Can you give us some screenshots of your DataServers running?

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Based on the information you provided, it seems like you're encountering some connectivity issues with the JoinServer (JS) and DataServer (DS) components of your MUEMU Season 6 server. Ensure that the necessary ports are open in your Windows firewall and any other security software you may be using. The ports required for your MUEMU server should be documented in the server's documentation or readme file. Verify that the required ports are allowed for both inbound and outbound connections. Double-check the IP configuration settings in your server files to ensure they are set correctly. Make sure the server files are configured to use the appropriate IP address and port for the JoinServer and DataServer components. Review the server configuration files for any misconfigurations or inconsistencies. Check for any references to incorrect IP addresses or ports. Make sure the server files are correctly set up to establish connections with the SQL Server. Confirm that the authentication mode in SQL Server is set to "Mixed mode" so that both Windows and SQL authentication are enabled. This ensures that the server can accept logins using both authentication methods. Verify that the SQL Server is configured to accept remote connections. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, under the SQL Server Network Configuration section, make sure TCP/IP protocol is enabled and configured to listen on the appropriate IP address and port. Check the database user permissions and ensure that the user account used by the server to connect to the SQL Server has the necessary permissions to access and modify the database. Examine the server logs and error messages for any specific information that might indicate the cause of the connection issues. Look for any relevant error codes or error messages that could help pinpoint the problem. Try to solve the problem with .
If you've gone through these steps and are still experiencing issues, it may be helpful to consult the documentation or seek support from the MUEMU community or the server's developers. They may have encountered similar issues and can provide more specific guidance for resolving the problem within the context of your server setup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back