Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Is it worth it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello I've been a lurker on these forums for years, and I'm interested in developing a server. I'm most likely going to do a v62 server with fairly high rates, so I don't step on any of the low rate servers toes nor compete with the giants, because that's a losing battle imo. So I'm getting into IT and general game coding, and currently learning Java code along with GMK. I thought making a maple server now as a fun little project on the side would increase my skill/abilities in the language it uses (I think its java im not sure) and also dip my toes into running a small community of people who may or may not like what I've done with my take of the game.

I plan to fund it out of my own pocket, but I have maybe only enough to hold 10-15 active members for 3-4 months and I definitely don't have enough to hire capable developers/designers. So after those 3-4 months I'll either have enough funds through donations or I wont. I don't want to bum out any potential members who'll join up. So my question is "is it worth it?"
Even if I do get a few small donations here or there i'll either refund the money donated or try to pull together some money to push the shut-down date.

Any advice from a vet would be appreciated!

Staff member
Reaction score
This is in no way to prevent myself getting more competition, but I think right now the 0.62 version is totally filled up, especially with the semi new server SlimeTree, which is a moderate high rate server. What you still could do is similar rates like OriginMS had, which was 8x/5x/3x. For them it worked, they got big in short time (150+ online), but were forced to shut down due to multiple exploits and other problems. Even higher rates I think nobody would join. 0.62 already lack very much in content, thus high rates are just.. not interesting for such low game version.

The current public 0.62 sources are horrible outdated in term of functionality, and are also full of exploits by default, so you need put a lot of effort in to get a proper 0.62 server set, which is right now not worth it due to earlier mentioned reasons.

One thing I've noticed is that there's not any high rate server for the Big Bang version. Perhaps that is something you could look into? I don't know myself what the community of Big Bang is, since I don't play it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you want to do high rate, do it with a version with more content so people don't get bored so quickly. I suggest v83+ because there are multiple classes, Dojo, and some other interesting stuff that you could turn into daily quests, you could also import stuff through Wz edits to create some more easy content for people.

Also since when is 5x high rate Kim? >:p

Staff member
Reaction score
Also since when is 5x high rate Kim? >:p

Don't take my word for it :p Yeah, I said moderate high, but in reality 5x is extremely low compared to what servers used to be back in 2008. Good old 2008 servers where servers were x1000 at least, with hamachi.

Well, OP could go to the real high rates like back then, but I just don't think people will be interested in such high rates with lack of content once you've reached 200. Reason so many reborn servers back then existed was because GMS still ran pre-big bang, so people saw Private Servers as an alternative way to play faster. Because pre-big bang no longer exists officially, most people looking for low versions right now also look for low rates, but not everyone. Higher rates are still preferred.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Good old 2008 servers where servers were x1000 at least, with hamachi.

Well, OP could go to the real high rates like back then, but I just don't think people will be interested in such high rates with lack of content once you've reached 200. Reason so many reborn servers back then existed was because GMS still ran pre-big bang, so people saw Private Servers as an alternative way to play faster. Because pre-big bang no longer exists officially, most people looking for low versions right now also look for low rates, but not everyone. Higher rates are still preferred.

Hamachi, good times.

As for good rates OP, you could also do variable EXP rates based on level, doesn't have to be a set EXP rate if you know how to pull it off. But yeah, people are enjoying lower rates these days because of how fucked up the Big Bang made the leveling system in Global. If you want to do a high rate server you'll need a lot of end game content and a lot of custom content to keep people happy.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to put more thought than I had in terms of what version I should use.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
nope, hop off v62. Even if you were to use Origin's rates it would not be as successful as most of the players came due to the community.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah I've decided to try out v83, but I have been having trouble trying to get it functional. I think it's because of my java files since I have 8u65 along with 7u21. I'm not sure If i need to remove my latest java files. Sorry I got off track there. Yeah I really agree with that, alot of v62 servers seem to have a nice small built in community before hand, so it'd be difficult to get my server up from scratch. Especially with Vintage up, which I think gives origin like rates a good look. Though they've been down alot, still I don't think I can compete either way.

If I can get past the beginner stage of the process I'd like to set my rates up around x8/4/2. Mostly because I've noticed that besides destiny there are alot of rebirth servers. I really didn't know what I was getting into :p Just gotta keep trying I guess!

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Yeah I've decided to try out v83, but I have been having trouble trying to get it functional. I think it's because of my java files since I have 8u65 along with 7u21. I'm not sure If i need to remove my latest java files.

You should upgrade the source to Java 8 instead of downgrading your java to 7.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hamachi, good times.

As for good rates OP, you could also do variable EXP rates based on level, doesn't have to be a set EXP rate if you know how to pull it off. But yeah, people are enjoying lower rates these days because of how fucked up the Big Bang made the leveling system in Global. If you want to do a high rate server you'll need a lot of end game content and a lot of custom content to keep people happy.

Ah 2008. Back when I was a young and foolish little keyboard warrior when the biggest mystery was port-forwarding. Following silly little tutorials for even more silly features and when the biggest tag used in f425 was [REPACK] for v55. and Shawn was still pumping out Scripting tutorials

Remember when had his own server? Simple, was it?

OT: Whether it's worth it or not, to me is completely up for debate. It's true that the MapleStory section is slowly but surely dying and that Private servers are very much short-lived and transient, it does give you the unique opportunity to learn a few things. Plus I personally think it's super cool that a select few people are still pumping out neat things for the higher versions of MapleStory. So if you do it for fun and treat it as a learning experience it's absolutely worth it, but as a financial source? It will most likely be a money-sink.

Last edited:
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No, it's not worth it. You can get sued by Nexon!

Reaction score
Probably a bit late here, but I feel like the best key to true success here is to make something different. I am honestly tired of playing GMS-like private servers since I would rather just play GMS if I wanted that. There is absolutely little uniqueness with the kinds of servers being put up today since they all use the "nostalgia" effect or they are recycling content. I have yet to see someone take the mechanics of the game and turn them into something far more unique than presently exists. Sadly, no one wants to put in the effort to surprise me.

Back