Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

LED vs. LCD vs. Plasma HDTV

Reaction score
Hello,

Well I'm planning to buy a new HDTV sometime before the new years, because the TV I have is around 10 years old (I stopped watching TV like 5 years ago because of this crappy TV).

Here are some things I'm looking for:
1080p HD
40" or higher
1,000,000:1 contrast ratio or higher

My main question is, what is the best type of display for my preferences above?

I've tried searching the web, but most of these review sites don't give me a 'direct' answer. I'm hoping there is a TV fanatic here or something :tongue:

ex visor
Loyal Member
Reaction score
^ I got one for christmas, and I absolutely love it.
The picture, and quality is insane.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Contrast ratio is a useless measurement. The color fidelity of any display will depend wholly on the panel type and calibration.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Plasma TV's produce deeper blacks, richer colours, wider viewing angler, and faster response times... I'd go with Plasma if you are going to be watching any 3D things. You'll notice the difference because of the fast response times.

Oh, and an LED TV is just an LCD TV with the bulb changed for hundreds of LED lights, hence the low power consumption.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Go for the LED.

It's the newest technology.
Best power consumption, best image quality.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
uebari said:
Don't use CNET they feed BS stuff to their users.. it's owned by CBS Interactive after all lol...

You're , but in this case the article is entirely accurate. Contrast ratio is not comparable across manufacturers, or even across product lines.

Reaction score
Plasma.

The other two cost far too much for what they are. If you want a monitor, LED hands down no question, but for a TV screen? size matters more than anything else, and inch for inch Plasma is just better value for that.

Back