• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Linux]UBUNTU

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: sage

Well damn, which kernel is it based off of? Unless you just completely wrote your own kernel :S lolz. I thought most LFS distros used a vanilla kernel anyways.

90% of all LFS users jsut end up downloading packs with what they want in it.. very few actually code/know how to code their own.

Figure it as being the most customizable distro you can get.. in fact, its more just an empty shell waiting to throw in whatever youd like.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
the low min specs, the eye candy, and all other pros of linux is great and all, but i really don't trust its security.

if its open source and there are people out there who can code the system files ect, that means that theres a high chance that they could easily gain access to your files ect. yes there aren't many viruses, but if someone who knows alot about linux coding were to make a virus, it could do MUCH more damage to your computer than a virus on windows could because it can go through security ect, and go straight to your data, files, and everything else.

Do you use Linux on a full-time basis to back this up? Are you familiar with the security mechanisms in place in current Linux distributions thus far? Are you deeply familiar with the user and group heirarchy and permissions that is on Linux?

If you do, you'd retract your comment outright.

First, applications normally run on "userland". I won't explain what userland is. Make it your homework. Applications that need to run as "system", privileged, or otherwise having "root privilege" requires root password initially to run/execute. Therefore, for the sake of argument, for a virus to be able to pwn a system, it needs an initial user interaction to do so (user must allow the process to execute). And if , again for the sake of argument, the user is not a root user, then the process will not be able to totally take over the system let alone propagate.

There was a proof of concept virus that was designed for the OS X and everytime, the user is asked for permission (password) for the process to execute. A witty user will immediately know something is going on and hunt down the process and kill it and everything related to it. Same thing will happen on Linux. Plus no admin in his right mind would use a default password.

On the note of Linux being opensource, that is why proprietary software will never beat the opensource paradigm simply for a couple of reasons:
1. there are a lot of people looking at the code and fixing it.
2. fixing the problem is much faster than on proprietary software, usually ranging to a few hours, to just a couple of days.

It is to the best interest of the hacker to see Linux fixed than to see it flawed. Why? it is one of his best tools available and using it flawed will defeat him more than he can defeat his enemy.

If you want more security on Linux, do not rely on it out of the box, even though it is much more secure by default compared to Windows. It is a stupid way for somebody to make a system available to the public by simply relying on default settings.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, to kick it slightly back into track:

I did download Unbuntu as an attempt to resurrect a last computer sitting in my room plugged into my 19" CRT.. and sadly, i have to admit defeat, the motherbaord is obviously very old.. its an ancient Pentium 3 755Mhz with 512MB PC133, and had a failed 20 gig hard drive.. plugged in an old 30 gig drive, loaded up unbuntu, and the keyboard/mouse keep giving out, locks up... so I suppose its trash time...

Perhaps I will take it out and tie it to the back end of my truck.... do some driving up in the woods ;)

What version of Ubuntu did you use? You could have picked up Ubuntu Feisty Alternate which is an optimized version for older hardware.

I have a Pentium 3 500 Mhz with 256 MB PC133 20GB HDD running Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy at home serving an intranet site.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What version of Ubuntu did you use? You could have picked up Ubuntu Feisty Alternate which is an optimized version for older hardware.

I have a Pentium 3 500 Mhz with 256 MB PC133 20GB HDD running Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy at home serving an intranet site.

It was the latest version released for standard Desktop PC's..

I will give that last one a try though, see exactly how well it'll run. Depending it isnt the motherboard kickign out, which was the origional suspect in the first place. The old Pentium and x86 chips last for friggin ever, so I doubt its the CPU causing problems.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
If you want a real Linux distro, go to Gentoo Linux and start from stage 1. Follow the manual, and you'll learn a lot. It's the first, and last distro I'll ever use.

Also, don't bother with Linux Gaming unless you have an nVidia card. Linux can only run OpenGL. There's no DirectX other than what Cedega turns into OpenGL. And nVidia runs OpenGL a lot better than ATI, why? ATI's drivers suck ballz.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Gentoo, looks nice. I'm just about finished exploring UBUNTU - the VM took forever to download via bit torrent, so I think I'll do everyone a favor and put it on filefront till they take it down lol.

I think everyone's oooo aaaaa about UBUNTU (me too), is how everything seems* to be easier to setup. I've had a few problems, but nothing to really make me say it sucks.

Gentoo looks awesome though, so I think I'll try it next! (especially since I already have an nvidia card hehe)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you want a real Linux distro, go to Gentoo Linux and start from stage 1. Follow the manual, and you'll learn a lot. It's the first, and last distro I'll ever use.

Also, don't bother with Linux Gaming unless you have an nVidia card. Linux can only run OpenGL. There's no DirectX other than what Cedega turns into OpenGL. And nVidia runs OpenGL a lot better than ATI, why? ATI's drivers suck ballz.

Just because you are familiar and know your way around Gentoo doesn't mean that it will be the only distro that others can use. Remember that there are a lot of flavors for Linux and other users doesn't necessarily have the same needs as you and they don't have the same hardware as you do. Choosing Linux is a matter of taste and function. I would suggest Ubuntu for those new to Linux who just wants Linux quick and easy with a high probability that their hardware will work and they will be up in no time at all.

Linux Gaming today is starting to mature. Yes, gaming on Linux now is not yet "at par" with Windows simply because a lot of game developers chose to develop games FOR WINDOWS. OpenGL, DirectX, who cares? What matters is that the game runs fast, runs well, and is enjoyable. Remember that DirectX is a proprietary product of Microsoft. The only way to have the same functionality and graphic support for video card and acceleration on other platforms will be to use OpenGL. And this is not the fault of Linux per se. And you have to remember too that most graphics cards were designed with Windows and DirectX in mind. However, it wont be long, Linux will have cards specially designed for better OpenGL support as well as DirectX/Direct3D. Intel is also doing that with their recent graphic chips.

With regards to nVidia and ATI, I agree with nVidia's existing support. However, Since ATI is now acquired by AMD, AMD is doing its best to change that and have unprecedented support for Linux on ATI cards.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: sage

Well damn, which kernel is it based off of? Unless you just completely wrote your own kernel :S lolz. I thought most LFS distros used a vanilla kernel anyways.

2.4.20 I think... not using at the moment

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have it on my laptop.
Went through a lot of trouble with it though, things like Wi-Fi, Pointing Device (touch pad).

Most laptops, you get a little wifi button/switch to enable search for wifi point, but it didn't even enable, let aloner search. It was like a random button connected to nothing, to only make my laptop look nicer.

But, after 2 days of research and headbutting the wall, got it all working.

(Tbh, if i hadn't have had another computer to research, I never would've connected to the internet with my laptop, so I probably wouldn't have Ubuntu on there now).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have it on my laptop.
Went through a lot of trouble with it though, things like Wi-Fi, Pointing Device (touch pad).

Most laptops, you get a little wifi button/switch to enable search for wifi point, but it didn't even enable, let aloner search. It was like a random button connected to nothing, to only make my laptop look nicer.

But, after 2 days of research and headbutting the wall, got it all working.

(Tbh, if i hadn't have had another computer to research, I never would've connected to the internet with my laptop, so I probably wouldn't have Ubuntu on there now).

What brand of laptop you got?

You really cannot fault Ubuntu or Linux if some aspects of your hardware will not work. The thing is a lot of hardware manufacturers wouldn't wanna play nice with Linux (perhaps due to business pressures from "you know who"). However there are lots of laptops now that work pretty well with Linux. If you want to dedicate a machine for Linux, make sure that the hardware in the machine will be guaranteed to run Linux. However, hardware support of current Linux is already very very well. You'll just have to choose which distro better supports your existing hardware stack.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
However there are lots of laptops now that work pretty well with Linux. If you want to dedicate a machine for Linux, make sure that the hardware in the machine will be guaranteed to run Linux. However, hardware support of current Linux is already very very well. You'll just have to choose which distro better supports your existing hardware stack.
...like IBM -- I mean, Lenovo Thinkpads.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
...like IBM -- I mean, Lenovo Thinkpads.

Doesn't necessarily have to be IBM, or Dell, or HP, or any big name brand. Well they do have something in their portfolio that runs well on Linux.

What I am using in the office is an ASUS S62FP barebone whitebook. Works like a charm -- Compiz/XGL, wireless, and all on top of SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.

Tested it using Ubuntu+Beryl/Emerald, smooth as silk also.

Back