Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MU client optimization with multiple instances

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to start this ambitious project for making the MU client with less resources loading for running multiple instances in a single computer AND to optimize the graphics themselves without taking into account its quality.

Just to give an example: I don't care if my character texture will become a white and black troll face image as soon as the game become as quick and less memory consumer as possible.

The main goal is too be able to run multiple instances of the original game client, likewise we run multiple instances through an emulator. But differently from an emulator, which doesn't need a 3D engine, I want the original game client running with the less resource possible, allow the user to select which files will be loaded by the client, and make the game to run the required files when it needs to.

I want to make myself this optimization because I believe that we can make a better control over the loaded resources and make the game to spend less processing time and memory for keeping as many as possible instances running than simply configuring OpenGL/Video card/Game options.

Some ideas

1) create a big file mapping which will be shared among all the client instances.
eg: I start the optimizer.exe which loads all the client files, injects a dll into every new created game instance, which applies the necessary patches and make the client to load the resources direct from the file mapping instead of loading the files from the HD every time a instance is started;

2) make the first main.exe instance to load normally all the files and the following instances would be patched to load less resources as possible;

If you have other ideas for developing such project, please post here, I 'll be glad to hear your suggestions.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
mauka do you have any other suggestions for developing this project? Any new idea is welcome.

* This Ronald Reagan's quote makes me feel that I don't have any hope on this project

Last edited:
NN - Nord & Noob
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If u dont care about UI at all..
Just to give an example: I don't care if my character texture will become a white and black troll face image as soon as the game become as quick and less memory consumer as possible.
Code up a client emulator and play in Text mode, i used to coded one :))))) its eats like 50 ~ 100mb and maybe 100mhz =)

-> draw Player pos on Images.. walk on image :F
-> monsters draw on image as dots also NPC`s :F and use some commands in emulator to control charater (Its looks like ingame "TAB" map)

In the end, its will be no UI client )))

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If u dont care about UI at all..

Code up a client emulator and play in Text mode, i used to coded one :))))) its eats like 50 ~ 100mb and maybe 100mhz =)

-> draw Player pos on Images.. walk on image :F
-> monsters draw on image as dots also NPC`s :F and use some commands in emulator to control charater (Its looks like ingame "TAB" map)

In the end, its will be no UI client )))

I want to make this project without an emulator because I don't want to waste time with packets encryption and reversing the gg auth...I want to make it for global mu.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've spent over 4 years on mu engine reverse engineering, and I agree with mauka. It's waste of time. I've moved terrain to VBO as 256x256 quad, textured by shader using sampler2DArray (Dx10 cards extension). Effect? I can render whole map with same FPS, but it's still fatal efficiency

I tried to do same with objects, but it is useless. Every animation, every object, all rendered things are calculated on CPU. That's the reason why on best computer we have only 20-30 fps. You can't fix it without rewriting 80% engine, so better write emulator :D

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've spent over 4 years on mu engine reverse engineering, and I agree with mauka. It's waste of time. I've moved terrain to VBO as 256x256 quad, textured by shader using sampler2DArray extension (Dx10 cards extension). Effect? I can render whole map with same FPS, but it's still fatal efficiency

I tried to do same with objects, but it is useless. Every animation, every object, all rendered things are calculated on CPU. That's the reason why on best computer we have only 20-30 fps. You can't fix it without rewriting 80% engine, so better write emulator :D

Thanks for your answers guys, I was so excited to start this project :(
But maybe I try to write text-based emu just for fun. I already played much with MU packets long time ago and I don't feel motivated to do it again. I would like to play with its engine reversing and doing stuffs by using its own classes.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've spent over 4 years on mu engine reverse engineering, and I agree with mauka. It's waste of time. I've moved terrain to VBO as 256x256 quad, textured by shader using sampler2DArray (Dx10 cards extension). Effect? I can render whole map with same FPS, but it's still fatal efficiency

so, this is why with my core i7, every mu client (even 97d) eats 15% of my cpu? thats insane o.o

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ex700 is even worst as wz start used some flash UI.. and its easy alot of CPU.. my i7 run better BF3 then MU

My cpu is always 25-30c, playing mu goes to 40-43c... when i close MU temps drops to 25-30c in 2 secs.

Edit: I just did this http://forum.ragezone.com/f196/lower-cpu-usage-733194/ was having some problems doing it some days ago but is working now... CPU Usage dropped from 15-17% to 5-6%... temps dropped from 40-43c to 33-34c.

Last edited:
iNewLegend , Leo123
Reaction score
i have directx engine with able to draw mu world may i can help

iNewLegend , Leo123
Reaction score
yes but i helped him with his project need to find him

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I play MU Global and run 8 clients on 2 pc's.

I use Anti-lag Patch v9 and they don't overheat. Ingame I disable sound, disable gens chat, make chat window as small and transparent as possible, disable enemy and character info display, reduce item glow to minimum. Launch the game at minimum resolution, 16-bit color, music disabled. I also set Nvidia graphics options to force High Performance over Quality.

Desktop Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (6 CPU) ~3.3ghz
RAM: 8gb DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (4gb)

Laptop Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 (Quad-core, virtually 8 cpu) ~2.3ghz
RAM: 8gb DDR3
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660m

Both run like this nearly 24/7. Laptop has a cooling pad and external fan blowing at its vent.

It's very stable like this and I am still able to run steam, and do heavy web browsing with ~10 tabs open at a time, multiple youtube tabs , etc. without much trouble. The desktop clients sometimes lag a bit but they are very playable. If I needed to, there's still room to free up around 20% more system resources - not to mention defraging (my hard drive data is very fragmented).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi! this sounds very interesting and, for me, would be very useful. is there one such text or low polygon client alternative publicly available currently?

Back