Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Nvidia 9800GT - Question

Reaction score
I got this gpu for christmas, and well. The minimum power supply requirement is 400W. I looked at my power supply, it said "Max Output 300w" - Yet, my graphics card is working.... Running WoW on full graphics with 60+ FPS..

My question is, because i have a 300w power supply, should I be concerned about the safety of my Gpu?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I don't think you should worry but I HIGHLY recommend you get a new power supply

Reaction score
Neg, if it works then it works, there is (as far as i am aware) no danger, it simply means your PSU has a high efficiency rating which is good. If it works with 300W then great, just be warned that means adding more HDD's or Fans would leach power from the PSU and only then would you have problems.

Reaction score
Neg, if it works then it works, there is (as far as i am aware) no danger, it simply means your PSU has a high efficiency rating which is good. If it works with 300W then great, just be warned that means adding more HDD's or Fans would leach power from the PSU and only then would you have problems.

Thank you rish baby, i love you <3:love:

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
juz wanna ask, does the... power of the GPU (processing power/ maximum potential or smth like that ) go down if not enough power is given. as in is efficiency decreased?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well , a 400W power supply isn't expensive. you should consider buying it with your own money.
The main reason is , you won't be able to overclock it , you may have some bugs with some of your stuff cuz the nvidia card will suck all your power , and won't leave any to the other stuff like CPU etc..

If i were you , I'd consider getting a 400W power supply , still not expensive , and you won't have to worry about those kind of stuff anymore , like when you play your WoW you might be like "Damn i think i should close my comp for a while so it won't burn " or idk.

Reaction score
juz wanna ask, does the... power of the GPU (processing power/ maximum potential or smth like that ) go down if not enough power is given. as in is efficiency decreased?

Nope, if there is not enough power it will simply crash and reboot the PC. So the fact that it works means that it IS receiving its required amount of electricity. That is why i said his PSU must have a high efficiency rating because even though its minimum required is 400W, he is able to run it on a 300W.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if you are looking to add moar poop to it later, you'll have to put in a new PSU.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
;D Its working because the rest of the rig uses low power, they recommend 400w for it because you will use a processor and other components which suit the gfx card, so you don't get bottlenecked. The actual wattage which is needed is fairly low as far as i'm aware.

Lewis.

Back