Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[PC] Gaming and External Harddrives.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
So, my computer was running out of harddrive space, so I decided to get an external harddrive.

The one I got is ' ' it's a Western Difital Elements 1TB.

I've put all my documents on there and am intending to put Steam and all my games on there, just wondering if there'd be any bad side effects of running games of it.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Re: Gaming and External Harddrives.

Well i wouldn't advise doing that unless it is using an eSATA cable. USB is considerably slower than SATA, so it will slow down your games and they could possibly crash.

You will also have issues with playing those games once you format your PC; The game files will be saved however all the registry entries for them will not exist.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Re: Gaming and External Harddrives.

If I install them directly onto the harddrive, will I be able to remove it and play those games on another computer?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
yes if they are directly installed you should, but dont take my word in not 100%

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
what i normally do for this is i export the registry file. of course, some games use multiple registry files and are a pain in the butt to find. then it will be in a folder with another folder which will be the game folder. that way, you only need to edit the drive letter with notepad before double clicking the registry then you can play!

Back