Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Programming Languages to learn

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guyz, im a newbie about stuff like this but allow me to ask question :)

//Ive read FAQ and search, but none of them satisfy my answer but some of them is relevant .

well my question is.

1.What programming languages must i know in order to create a pristontale private server(SET-UP)?

2.Programming TOOLS/IDE needed.?

3.What knowledge about NETWORKING/WEB should i learn?

4.OS used if possible explain Virtual Machines etc..

Lastly. to summarize.
What must i have to learn in order to make a full private server .

Hopefully im not that kind of irritating NEWBIE. well as what am i

Really love to make PT Private Server up and running.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
  1. None.
  2. Ditto.
  3. As much as possible... especially if you intend to publish your server. (make it available to the general internet)
  4. Most servers are Win32 OS only, minimum requirement is NT4, but the SQL server(s) *needed* work best around Windows 2000 / 2003 server. (2000 workstation or XP are also good choices, but not practical for large servers on the internet)
"Virtual Machine" is a technology to host software, including the OS, isolated from the bare hardware by an application running under another OS. It's not unlike "Emulation" (as may be used to run software and games from old 8 / 16 bit computers on modern ones) but does not simulate the core CPU... only the other devices attached, such as hard drive, display, sound and user input devices like keyboard and mouse.

You can run single applications in a "virtual machine" and Windows does this with every application you run on Vista / Seven, in order to prevent user applications conforming to older standards from changing system wide settings unless they are accepted as a setup program. This is enforced by UAC and "virtual folders" or "personal folders". It is also implemented automatically for any 32-bit application run on a 64-bit version of Windows, or any 16-bit DOS or Windows application run on 32-bit versions of Windows.

Using a more complete virtualisation, isolating the entire operating system, not just a single application, allows you to install OS components like SQL and web servers without affecting your host system, and to use a more appropriate host OS for the server than the one you would like to run your desktop on. So you can run Windows 2000 Server / Server 2003 x86 in the virtual machine and your PT server on that while you run Mac OS, Linux, Vista or Windows Seven x64 as your main / primary OS. Neither system can pollute the other (so the SQL your home or small business accounts SQL database and updates will never affect your PT servers SQL) and you can more easily backup and restore a virtual machine. You can effectively image the machines current state from your host desktop and make incremental / differential drive images at that... often instantly, and without shutting down. (depending on the Virtualisation software used)

VPS hosts use Virtual Machines to enable them to sell 5 equal Virtual Servers on 3 physical machines, none of which will go down if any of the physical devices fails, and each of which will have equal resources and access to the hardware. ^_^ (that's quite impressive isn't it?) They actually work on much larger scales, selling hundreds of servers on tens of machines, even if they are only a small host... but the reduced example illustrates that 5 into 3 cannot ever exactly fit... until it's virtual. :wink:

Your summery? If you want a truly "private" server which is not open to the public and just for a couple of friends when in the same building, if you can install DBase or Foxpro, then you probably have the skills required already. You will already know that such services should be installed on a reasonably "clean" PC (not one chock full of personal user applications) and understand enough about networking to know how to open ports and define legal connections for your network.

If you want a public pServer (one hosted on the internet that the general public of the world can sign-up to play) then you will need to know much much more just to keep hackers out, keep it stable and available.

If you want a public server to be successful, then software development skills are probably a must, but no more than marketing and public relations. ^_^

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
you need no programming experience to start a server, no knowledge really; there are so many guides that give you step by step config for the servers, priston tale server is optimal under server 2003or prior/windowsxp. learn how to set up your iis server correctly, learn querying in sql, learn about tcpip config for sql, after you have done this and successfully connected to your server you may wish to learn assembly with the use of ollydbg, prior to that you may want to learn hex editing via hex workshop or a similar hex studio. Once you have completed all of this then may come a time you would learn programming or whilst you do this to make the edits you create in olly + hex workshop interfaceable with external code.

Good Luck :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can edit assembler (which is programming) without learning programming... OTOH, I kinda learned to program without studying it. (BASIC was on the ROM when I turned my first computer on, and you had to write a 1 line program to even load and play Pac-Man :lol: the line was sufficiently complex that it was obvious you could type something else to do other interesting things, and so I did)

Other than that ordering issue, I quite agree with this evolution of requirements to meet desires. :D:

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
sorry Bob i did not realise that you had previously posted on this thread. I was much the same, i was interested in making small games...i used screenshots of pristontale characters in powerpoint or something like that when i was much younger, i then realised you could add in vb.code behind that to make things happen. Through that it was a case of trial and error to make the code work to do what i wanted it to, i then downloaded vb6 and started in that. Then moved onto java, c++,vb.net,c# (in that order)

I feel the way i have progressed has led to a greater understanding of the logical opperations behind programming its self. If you are to learn i am not recommending that you take the same route as me but find your own path and what you feel comfortable with :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thnx for wonderful/awesome reply . anyhow 2. Ditto ? well i google it and it says

The definition of DITTO is "The same, me too, I agree" .. //What is that ? xP

i found many tutorials out there in set-up private server

is this helpful ?
Bobsobol
http://forum.ragezone.com/f399/personal-priston-tale-612785/

or this
http://forum.ragezone.com/f562/guide-files-server-setup-faq-751531/

another one
http://forum.ragezone.com/f562/guide-files-server-setup-faq-245772/

Which is much comprehensive and understandable?

Please masters help me choose :)
Thnx again.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When 2 is "ditto", that is usually a short-hand or slang for "same as 1". (Actually, if 3 was ditto, it would be "same as 2" and so on... "same as" whatever has come before) :blushing:

The [thread=612785/]first link[/thread] is my PPT release, and not a guide at all. It's actually about automating the installation process so you can just click through a wizard and have that do it all for you. (okay, not "all" but most of it)

The last two examples are the same guide, but since I couldn't edit posts and had a backup of SiK's guide, I re-posted from my backup when the version on RaGEZONE got damaged. (you will find, if you compare, that bits are now missing in the original)

Good guides also by , , , ,
Video by (audio in Portuguese)
Also a guide on using Personal Priston Tale installer to install other releases.

Read them all, make notes to compare points of symmetry (they are all about the same thing, but may do stuff in a slightly different order etc.) and then pick one or two that you think you understand best. Follow one, and flip to the other if / as you get stuck. ^_^

---EDIT---
[highlight]Notice:[/highlight] Please do make a thorough backup (image) of your system before you start. A failed installation can render your entire system useless, (at least for PT) in a way that uninstall and reinstall [highlight]will not correct[/highlight].

Use a Virtual Machine to make that backup very easy. ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thnx for the reference bobsobol

anyways. Virtual Machine? what virtual machine do you recommend me to use ? xD i only know Microsoft Virtual PC is it ok ? (Recommended Ram to use on it.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, I discovered that unless you have the server edition (Hyper-V?) you don't get the built in snapshot facility. :(: The same is true of VMWares' VMWare player, where the edition has the most comprehensive snapshot I've seen. does it all, for free. (okay, so I do miss drag'n'drop file transfers ... but for the price, who's going to argue?)

Also, if you do want to use VirtualPC or VMWare player, you can just zip up the .vhd (VPC) or .vmdk (VMW) to achieve a similar result. It's just more faff.

--- EDIT ---
Oh, sorry. Memory? Well, that depends highly on the OS you are installing on the guest. I've got away with 128Meg on 2k, and consider 512Meg to be "a lot" on NT4 running a PT server. I consider 3Gig to be "not quite enough" on 2008R2 server. :(:

The usual XP / 2003 server installs 512Meg to 1Gig is usually fine, and anything over that is a bonus. :D:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Bobsobol for President xD. awesome really helping newbies like me.

will start learning to make my own private server (sadly i cant now, because of studies / making program in VB.net with oracle database xP)
but totally a newbie in this field . anyways thnx i will use VirtualBox as what i have read to your suggestion ^^,

so i ask again . :)
1. VirtualBox(Only 1 OS in order to set-up a private server?)
2.After Set-Up what to do?

http://forum.ragezone.com/f562/guide-files-server-setup-faq-751531/
I cant find where to start the server? Or really im dumb >.<

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's not actually *my* guide (I'd never include Korean text in messed up ASCII characters) but Step 24 says "Create a registry file using this code (Use notepad):" and asking you to fill in your servers IP.
Code:
 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Triglow Pictures]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Triglow Pictures\PristonTale]
"Version"="3096"
"Account"=""
"CameraInvert"="false"
"CameraSight"="OFF"
"ColorBPP"="32"
"Graphic"="1"
"MicOption"="OFF"
"MotionBlur"="false"
"Network"="1"
"ScreenSize"="0"
"Server1"="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"<---your IP here
"Server2"="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"<---your IP here
"Server3"="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"<---your IP here
"ServerName"="Server Name"
"Sound"="On"
I'm not sure why you have a problem with that, provided you have decided if you want it to be only for one PC, any PC on your LAN, or any PC on the internet. That determines the IP you use.

The guide it's self is *very* old, so I'm surprised any of the links remain live. They aren't really relevant, as any equivalent is fine. For an equally old set of server files you could get our local hosted Operz first release.

The XPT server (your second link) was based around a modified KPT 1855 client, correct.

To start the server you usually double click it. However, it is usually called something different in each repack, and may even look different. This is where "documentation" comes into play. Most repacks aren't aimed at noobies, and assume you will take a look at the sections and code patches integrating extra data segments in each of the executables in a backup (many of which are failed experiments) to determine which is the release. To do that, you have to make comparisons to the server executable in the PT server you already have working. :(:

Additionally, the XPT server you link to is just the executable, and not a repack at all. So you would replace the server executable with that file in your existing, working server installation. :(:

The link I pointed you to is the very first complete set of working server files, with some basic ReadMe style guide information. So it's actually even older than the guide you are following. It's still fine to get you going, and it's clear that you need to get a basic server started before you can do anything with most other releases. (that's why I put that server on RZ hosting, so it never goes dead :wink:)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Urghhh.. pretty hard thing to do but i wont give up xP

Wheres this file bob ? Japanese PristonTale Server Files
I cant find the link where to download that file to the given guide you have.
and when he say MEMORY is important im a bit scared because i got 612 Mb in the VirtualBox which i explore to create the server

What prefered Memory and Hard Disk Space is ok to make no issues in creating the guide. :)

also i got Windows XP sp3 OS used in exploring :) is it ok ?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Urghhh.. pretty hard thing to do but i wont give up xP

Wheres this file bob ? Japanese PristonTale Server Files
I cant find the link where to download that file to the given guide you have.
The link takes you to this page:-
VB9ZC - Programming Languages to learn - RaGEZONE Forums
On which I have highlighted the download link. Does it not appear this way for you? It looks pretty obvious even without the red box I painted around it to me. :/:
and when he say MEMORY is important im a bit scared because i got 612 Mb in the VirtualBox which i explore to create the server

What prefered Memory and Hard Disk Space is ok to make no issues in creating the guide. :)
On XP, well 512Meg is usually okay, 768Meg is nicer but I have heard that SP3 increases the requirement for many things and I last tried on SP2. Remember that the original guide was written 21st of April 2007 when typical memory was 128 to 512 Meg for desktops and often less in laptops. We still get the odd laptop in my work place for "fixing" from around that age and 64 or 128 Meg is not uncommon in them. The "fault" is typically "Why is it so slow!?" :lol:

I've used a 4Gig partition for PT, and that seems fine on NT4 (a larger primary partition can be problematic in NT4s setup program) but you quickly run out of space with .Net cached (pre-compiled and optimised) assemblies. Another point to note is that the VM drive doesn't take up more space than it's occupying, so you can set the virtual drive to 2Tb even though you are only putting it on an 80Gig drive on the host... until the host runs out of space, you won't have any problems. ^_^

Give it 20Gig and you should be fine forever. (until your host drive is full)

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Back