Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about PS3

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think this is the right place, not sure. Anyways...

So I've read that the 40gb PS3 is not backwards compatible. I've also read that you can updated your HDD to a larger size. My question is... if I upgrade to a higher HDD, will it be backwards compatible or is the model itself not able to play PS2 games?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Iirc it's something with the ps3 model / firmware. I'm quite certain that all slim models arent able to play ps2 games.

If you have the right fat model with the right firmware, upgrading your hdd is fine and won't duck something up.

I honestly dont know which fat models have this feature, you'll have to google that.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's firmware, it's some hardware stuff that's in the fat model that allows PS2 games.
And for upgrading just stick in any sata drive should do the trick.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The Slim versions were never able to play PS2 games, it never had something to do with the Firmware, it always was a part of the Hardware that was removed that disabled it.

That's what I said in my first post. I'm not too sure about the actual fat models with the chip being able to play ps2 games with the latest firmware though.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lets put this out there. NO PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games. There is a very very good reason it was patched out, and later physically removed. It didnt work, it was a crumbling Special person mistake on the hands of Sony to release it when it wasnt working properly.

If you want to emulate the PS2, use your computer and whatever various emulators are out for it.

/end thread

Last edited:
Lord of the Onion Rings
Reaction score
I'd call Playstation and ask them about it before anything.
It could really save you time as they are fast at picking up the phone lines.

Back