• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Question]Installing Win7/Linux/Etc from SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So I got 40GB SSD with Win& install files on it.
I can perfectly install from and speed is just amazing.

I was wondering if I can partition it and have win7 install files, linux install files, win2k3 server install files, etc.

Would be awesome and really useful to have one drive with multiple OS installation files.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Should be able to, yes.

Just make several partitions during the first OS install and install each OS to one of the partitions.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Dont run a server off an SD.

This will kill your SD, as with any solid state memory, it starts deteriorating the more data is written and deleted off areas on the drive. You can run Linux just fine, as well as normal Windows. I woudl just recommend putting any server applications on a normal HDD by all means necessary.

(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Please. I am NOT installing multiple OS onto SSD.
I want to have an install SSD with win7/etc installation files.

Same as installing Windows/Linux/Etc from USB but from SSD.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I honestly havent tried setting up an SSD like that, in all honesty.

The problem is the boot, you might have to either find or write a custom boot screen where you can select which operating system you wish to install.

The issue, is that BIOS generally boots from just a single operating system, even if its the main installation one - you cant run two at the same time, which means you either have to move files around prior to installing and make sure the main one you want is the root; or you have to find a program to create a menu system that allows you a selection of different operating systems.

Ran a search and found this program:

Its probably exactly what you are looking for.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You'd have to write custom boot screen for sure(to choose the partition to install from), it's possible though.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not sure, I used some premade thing that copied the stuff from .iso files and made a boot ini and then I just changed it to start from correct paths when option chosen.

I can find the program again if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back