• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

School effort

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem right now and this is kind of long..so here I begin.

I'm a junior in highschool right now, the year ends in may. Then I have one more year and I'm done. Well, I've screwed up my freshman and sophmore years of highschool. I mean, my grades weren't straight D's and F's, but they weren't great either. And this year is going.."ok". My grades are average but with two C's and one F. I got an F in Algebra II. Well heres the thing. I know I can work my butt off and get all A's and great scores. But I have the trouble of actually doing that. I'm lazy, tired, and I procrastinate like none other. And theres a high chance I will be going to a non-great college (I want to go to the Art Institute of Chicago, but can't, could never afford it), and I'm afraid I'm going to royally duck up my life if I don't act now, but I wonder if it's to late.

So I have a dilemma, should I start right now, and I mean literally right now, and work my butt off and get good grades or just keep doing what I'm doing but try a little harder than I am. I'm just wondering if it's to late. I mean I know it's hopeless to get a scholarship to the Art Institute of Chicago, especially when it's almost the end of my junior year. I just really need someone or a group of people to drive me to literally work my butt off and stick with it. But I just don't know what to do. I need help and I know the right answer is to work my butt off, but I'll never do that unless someone shoves the fact that I will fail at life in my face. And I literally could be doing my Algebra II homework right now, but instead I go off and play Call of Duty 4, just trying to prove of what I'm doing. (I get the homework done, I just rush and do it before class, it's not like I don't turn it in).

So I need some help and advice if you all would be so kind to give it.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Dude, being a Junior as well, I know what you mean. You can do it man, you have to. This is an important year for us. If you get to work, you can easily do it. Algebra II is nothing when you set your mind to it (trust me, I took it freshman year, so i'm on even harder crap now). And when you say you procrastinate like no other, oh trust me, I am the master. The trick is to pick out the very important stuff and make sure you don't put that off, while you procrastinate everything else. Slowly you'll wind up getting better at planning it out and your procrastination will turn into effective planning. What you need to really learn is a positive outlook, some sort of game plan for doing your work, and a want to learn. You must want to learn. History is my worst subject. why? I have NO desire to learn it. Math, Physics and Chinese are my best. why? No, I don't want to be Asian, I just really like/want to learn the subjects. It's all in your head man. I've finally learned that a few months ago when Junior year really hit me and I started getting down to work. Don't overwork yourself. You don't always need A's. Just try your best without over stressing. To be honest though, in the end I'm not sure how great my advice is. I'm rather smart and can afford a more laid back approach and my school works slightly differently, but I think the advice is good either way.

Good luck, just remember to try your best and don't stress too much.

EDIT: Also, hopefully your school has a good guidance counselor, go see him/her. If not, go see your parents, or someone else that's been through school and ask them for advice.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Live life...
Find out exactly what you want to do...and if you have to make some sacrifices in order to get it...go for it. AS LONG AS it's EXACTLY what you want...and you're sure of it.
It would suck trying so hard...and then realizing..."poop...what am I doing here?"
If you do need to sacrifice game time in order to read a few books, write a few essays, do some homework...go for it.

Manage your time properly, put things in priority first...and move from there...if you have time for games at the end of the day...have fun..enjoy.
But don't overdo it...balance it...so that you don't get stressed out...and definitely don't OVERTHINK / have all these negative thoughts (homework, projects, stress...) on your mind 24/7.

Reaction score
lol... What is wrong with not going to a great college? I myself am going to a local community college and to be honest I prefer it this way then anyway else. With small school you do get a better learning experience with more hands on work.

I'm not saying this as that's all I could have gotten into. I could have easily gone to a school like NEU, BU, BC, MIT, etc... But I didn't. Hell I even got an offer from the NSA to pay for my school at any school I wanted to and then a 6 year job offer afterwards but I turned it all down.

So I ended up going to a local community college instead why? Don't really know but what I do know is that the quality of education is vastly different. You don't have huge rooms full of students taking notes from lectures as you do with any well known school but instead you have small class rooms with teachers that work with you and try their hardest to teach you.

Now about your poor work habits. Just take your crap away or well your parents should. I'm just as bad as you and if it wasn't for my parents I too would have been in your shape. Though if I were to ever get those grades you got then I would have been grounded and all of my stuff taken away. So it gave me a reason to put some effort into doing my work.

So the best way to get you to do your stuff is to have some sort of punishment happen to you if you do badly in school.

And for it being too late well... It is too late. You'll need to start applying for colleges in the fall and what do you have to show them? Poor grades and that's not good. Now if you were to ace your SATs when you take them next month or so then it will due two things for you. Show the schools that you are able to do good at school but also shows them your laziness as you cannot do as good in your normal work. So it's a doubled edge sword.

Your only real hope is to make a pretty damn good easy for the schools you want to get into. Explaining why your grades are so bad and how you will over come them.

NoPeace - out

Death is Inevitable.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i went through the exact same stuff, and now i decided to take online school and worry about the classes i actually need. I'm still going to school, this is my final year but i pretty much go just for the social aspect. When i graduate, im going to BCIT and enrolling in Electrical and Computer Engineering. So what I'm pretty much saying is, if you know what you wana do after high school, then get your butt hustling and work in the classes you NEED. It all depends on what you wana do/be IMO.

Reaction score
So I ended up going to a local community college instead why? Don't really know but what I do know is that the quality of education is vastly different. You don't have huge rooms full of students taking notes from lectures as you do with any well known school but instead you have small class rooms with teachers that work with you and try their hardest to teach you.

As someone who ended up going to one of the big schools, frankly I hate it. It's so much more impersonal. I think only one lecturer has ever learnt my name (and that lecture was for half a year anyway, kudos to him for doing it though) Seriously if I had the choice to make again I would go to a smaller place. If you feel the university doesn't care it's hard to get yourself motivated.

Plus make sure you choose a subject you actually like not one you excel in. The choices you make now will echo greatly into your future. I choose a subject I was good in but as the years have passed the enjoyment I got from it has faded away to leave boredom (and now crap marks thanks to it :()

Oh and I am in fact the god of procrastination. You could try challenge me for the title but I'd find something better to do anyway...

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Yeah ill agree with nopeace, Id rather be in the situation I am in than having some grad student teaching 500+me :S

All my teachers actually care how i do. I got a C on a test last week, and my professor emailed me asking wtf was up lawl.

But you should at least put forth the effort, its not gonna hurt you in anyway, all it can do is help...Maybe even take some AP classes next year so you can get some gen eds out of the way.

NoPeace: You srsly turned down MIT?
Although if I had a high IQ and got accepted to MIT, i would prolly turn it down, unless I felt the need to pay tuition for the rest of my life lawl.

Robert: I bet I could give you a run for your money. I wrote a 6 page research paper on internet spam laws for an American Gov class the morning before it was due lawl.

Reaction score
Yeah ill agree with nopeace, Id rather be in the situation I am in than having some grad student teaching 500+me :S

All my teachers actually care how i do. I got a C on a test last week, and my professor emailed me asking wtf was up lawl.

But you should at least put forth the effort, its not gonna hurt you in anyway, all it can do is help...Maybe even take some AP classes next year so you can get some gen eds out of the way.

NoPeace: You srsly turned down MIT?
Although if I had a high IQ and got accepted to MIT, i would prolly turn it down, unless I felt the need to pay tuition for the rest of my life lawl.

Robert: I bet I could give you a run for your money. I wrote a 6 page research paper on internet spam laws for an American Gov class the morning before it was due lawl.

I did my entire GCSE ICT coursework in a day, and it was a week late. They gave me a recurring detention because I pretty much refused to do any work because it was stupid (*here's how to use work*) I did get a B for it in the end though.

Seriously 6 pages is nothing, I've done 50+ pages(+graphs etc) overnight to hand in in the morning. I just can't sit around long enough to do them till it's last minute. Frankly I'm dreading the dissertation I have to do, due in in like 2 weeks. That thing is the be all and end all of my entire uni education and is like a book in thickness but I know it will suck anyway, plus I fucked up my exams so I want to resit the year anyway.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I did my entire GCSE ICT coursework in a day, and it was a week late. They gave me a recurring detention because I pretty much refused to do any work because it was stupid (*here's how to use work*) I did get a B for it in the end though.

Seriously 6 pages is nothing, I've done 50+ pages(+graphs etc) overnight to hand in in the morning. I just can't sit around long enough to do them till it's last minute. Frankly I'm dreading the dissertation I have to do, due in in like 2 weeks. That thing is the be all and end all of my entire uni education and is like a book in thickness but I know it will suck anyway, plus I fucked up my exams so I want to resit the year anyway.

Forgot to say that it was already late, and got docked 10%, Had to turn it in that day or I would of got no credit, but yeah, you got me beat :(

I know what you mean, I cant find motivation to do homework until the night or morning before. There has to be a looming threat or something for the motivation to click.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Well it's up to you if you wanna live in the lower-class region because you sucked at school or live in the middle-class to higher-class region because you put in effort. I'm in "Junior School" (High School by Scottish terms, in my 10th Year/Grade/3rd Year (Scottish terms)) and I get straight A's (Straight 1's by, you guessed it, Scottish terms) and I don't study that much. I'm naturally good at that stuff but even I have difficulty. You can be naturally bad at things like riding a bike or swimming, but you can improve on it by putting in more effort. So the moral of this post is, work harder at school and make sure you have a good life in the future.

Reaction score
I was probably the laziest person I know in high school. If it didn't have anything to do with Music, I didn't care. I went out of my way to get out of work, all the time, yet I still managed to get A's and B's.

College isn't any different, after 3 years I've found I'm just hung over most of the time. :p

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
I was probably the laziest person I know in high school. If it didn't have anything to do with Music, I didn't care. I went out of my way to get out of work, all the time, yet I still managed to get A's and B's.

College isn't any different, after 3 years I've found I'm just hung over most of the time. :p

Yet you have a job that involves you getting tanned :p

Reaction score
Yet you have a job that involves you getting tanned :p

and making $30 an hour watching other people work...

Now If I lived in Cali. doing the exact same thing I'd be making $90 an hour. The cost of living where I live is very low so $30 an hour is amazing.

It's not what you know, it's who you know. I took a huge short cut, because I know the bosses son. Not because I went to school for engineering.

For Akai: If you'd regret not getting good grades, and wish you'd work harder, then you already know your answer.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Im the laziest mammal alive in the world. Can't say im dumb tho Iq is almost at 150 but, neways marks are at 50-55% max!! Can't get motivated at all the work is hella boring i just talk in class whole time and play games when at home. Only things i like are tennis, and swimming ( id love to be a body builder -.- screw intellect). My point being grades are important but, motivation is more important to accomplish it. In my case school being ridiculously easy and training the physical body and mind are far harder. So i go with the challenge.

I'll take you all on.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
homework and school activities always stress me out. im lazy to do my homework, but i manage to get it done IN school. Sometime i know how to do it and it takes me 5-7 mins to finish the work sheet then turn in to my teacher 3 mins after the period start. Though some of the work took me forever to turn in, but the teacher accept it and give full credits. I guess school in America is different in Asia, if you miss the test or didnt turn in your homework on the next day, the teacher won't accept it as of late work anymore >.< so its kinda stressful to do homework on 6-7 subjects every night. Yeah, sometime, you get homework in each class and you finish it at home.

I guess in America the teacher make it easy, they accept late work and its one thing that i like.

Back