Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Slow local Ad-hoc connection

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just setup wifi in my home server, a 300 mbit capable wifi 802.11n card
I was expecting to get a pretty decent speed to access files from my home server from multiple computers at once by using an ad-hoc connection, the home server is connected to the modem through ethernet cable and my computers use the ad-hoc network to access internet and local data

but I get an average of 1.5 MB/s (about 12 mbit) on my local network which is digustingly low seeing as both my laptop and my homeserver are 300 mbit wifi capable
so what gives? Why am I not getting near 300 mbit local performance? The bottle neck is definetly not the server hardware since it's a dual core intel atom with a 2.5" HDD sata 2 capable of at least 20 times faster IO speeds than what I'm getting right now

Reaction score
As per usual I'm not a professional so I might talk out of my butt but I think it depends on what modem do you have and what adapter(s) you use the in the other computers as well as other obvious factors such as line of sight. The problem with the speed in relation to the modem/adapters is because of the modes they run in, for example the modem running on 20MHz @ 2.4GHz (not sure if it's the right way to write it) but I know it's something to do with the MHz of the channels (20MHz supports up to 150Mbps, 40MHz supports up to 300Mbps).

What you could try is just try connecting 1 wireless computer with the mode modem settings set to Wireless N only (if available), and setting the bandwidth to 40MHz and see what speeds you get.

With my modem (TDW8960N) it's capable of 300Mbps but I've never achieved anything close to it (running at 117Mbps) because modem runs in 20MHz mode with the setting 11bgn because I've got other devices connected via WiFi that other people use.

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Noise could also be a factor influencing speed. I know a lot of devices in house (such as phones) use 2.4Ghz as a frequency to communicate. Having a lot of those devices nearby or between you and the modem can also influence speed.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ad-hoc connections don't require any modem or router to allow local connections, it's basically giving your computer router abilities.
I figured out 1 part of the problem, it's that the server's network card only allows 802.11b and 802.11g ad-hoc even if it's 802.11n compliant which I don't understand because it's basicly the same thing, how can it read 300 mbit of wifi data from a router if it can't read 300 mbit of wifi data from a computer?

Back