• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Private State of the Maple.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Eh, haven't been active in months.

I have a few questions I'd like each member who stumbles across this thread to answer.

1. Do you believe that the community is long past it's prime?

2. Is there anyway to refunnel traffic back into development?

3. Will maplestory 2 have a dawn of emulation?

4. If you could change one thing that has happened to the forums/maplestory emulation in general, what would it be?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes, the prime must have been between 2009 or 2010. To the people saying 2008, don't kid yourself unless you are talking about OdinMS developers themselves. No one else back then other than the greats like Leifde, Snow knew anything about how to update packets from a version to another, and back then they weren't even great about it. When you have the best releases that included PCMaple and ThePack, then you know something is off.

2009 or 2010 was good because that's when people started to figure out packets and finally moving on from v62. By the later half of 2009, people were on v75 and development albeit underground was actually moving. In v62 underground development consisted of making source changes with no packets except from Xotic and Generic230's private source with iamSTEVE. Past 2010 only noteworthy releases were Lithium and the stuff that came after made by the same group (LaiLaiNoob + RMZero213). People learned more but by 2012 the community was too far inactive to be considered prime. In 2010 the section here was popular and people were making some progress. MetroMS was great and during 2010 it had the BEST development, ahead of NidoMS even, when they were not popular. Only in 2011 did Nido/Extalia surpass Moongra development.

I believe there is too large of a lack of interest for people to come back. People that do code here don't want to share either. Then we have people like SuperLol who "quits" but codes for a week or two every half year but pretends not to. We have people that post regularly that won't really share solutions but would rather imply that people are simply bad. With such a community there's not really a way to get people to collaboarte.

Definitely not. I can't see this happening. There may be an emulator, and honestly I think there will be. I don't think it will gain much traction though and if it would, it wouldn't be the same people from this group.

4. If you could change one thing that has happened to the forums/maplestory emulation in general, what would it be?
We should go back to 2008 days. These were the days when RMZero213 was 12, but was far ahead of anyone in the active community. No one knew how to update the game, but had a blast playing with what they had. It wasn't the prime of the development but it was at least when people helped each other and worked together. There were tons of releases and even though they would be flamed non-stop now, they were considered decent. The best thing that happened to the section was also the worst thing: knowledge. People learned how to code and update. People grew up and some are now professional developers like XxOsirisxX. The disparity of coding skill leads to the better developers not wanting to share, and the beginners feeling entitled to having some free code. When we were all new everyone had a better attitude.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
way past prime bro prime was 2008 - mid 2013. It's done now, PS gone down da drain GMS WON DA BATTLE LLOYD KORN WON THE BATTLE

Mythic Archon
Reaction score

I have a few questions I'd like each member who stumbles across this thread to answer.

1. Unfortunately, yes. The prime of the community may have been around 2009-2010 as mentioned above. However, 2011-2012 wasn't too bad... It just got really bad after that point to be honest.

2. Not really. All the developers that contributed and helped the community is long gone. They left already.

3. no. just no

4. wish it never existed, waste of my life

Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
People with no knowledge on Java and OdinMS in general complain that people with knowledge don't help them or continue to release useful poop. People with knowledge and are capable (at least in terms of OdinMS) complain that people just leech, don't give proper credits, and are incapable of further developing those files without flooding the help section with a million "This dc, how do fix dis?".

Similar to how in America the people at the bottom tend to complain that the rich have it too well off and deserved to be taxed more. The people at the top think the people at the bottom should just educate themselves and work towards a better future instead of complaining.

I don't know where I'm going with this, it's 4AM.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

1. yes
2. no, not public development
3. maybe, but i doubt anyone's gonna make ms2 files public
4. what's done is done. no need to think about unrealistic questions.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
People with no knowledge on Java and OdinMS in general complain that people with knowledge don't help them or continue to release useful poop. People with knowledge and are capable (at least in terms of OdinMS) complain that people just leech, don't give proper credits, and are incapable of further developing those files without flooding the help section with a million "This dc, how do fix dis?".

Similar to how in America the people at the bottom tend to complain that the rich have it too well off and deserved to be taxed more. The people at the top think the people at the bottom should just educate themselves and work towards a better future instead of complaining.

ur goin with this that the bad ppl will always want what they can not get because they do not try to b like thre good ppl

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

1. if you browsed the section for about 5 minutes, you would easily see that it has gone to poop
2. no, never
3. based diamondo will make it happen!!
4. groovy should have been the language to bloom for ms servers!!

but then again, i only come here anymore to appropriately laugh at the poop gfxs that are posted by people like sector and leave angry but accurate comments that get infracted because Kreeate is a Ducking faggot who obviously has mental's penis deep in the anus

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

OdinMS is AGPL, every work based on it (or work which uses source code from it) has to be made available free of charge in binary and source form to anyone who can access network services provided by it (this means everyone who plays on a server)
There should have never been any discussion about "nor releasing" or "leeching". Things are meant to be open. (I'm of course excluding non OdinMS Software here however from what I can tell all Java releases so far are OdinMS forks)

Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
OdinMS is AGPL, every work based on it (or work which uses source code from it) has to be made available free of charge in binary and source form to anyone who can access network services provided by it (this means everyone who plays on a server)
There should have never been any discussion about "nor releasing" or "leeching". Things are meant to be open. (I'm of course excluding non OdinMS Software here however from what I can tell all Java releases so far are OdinMS forks)

Except that in practice, if the OdinMS creators aren't here or don't care, it's essentially a free-for-all (as it has been from pretty much the beginning).

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score

1. Yes. Definitely yes. The amount of leeching has far surpassed the amount of development. The only way it would be possible to reinstate it is to either heavily monitor the Help section so that no two topics of the same type of issue can be made... or by flooding the Tutorial section with guides (requires too much help from good people) and removing the Help section all together. Only this would force people to figure things out themselves, or research how to fix issues without running for help and walking away without knowing anything different about said issue.

2. Answer in 1.

3. Not a chance in hell, and I'll tell you why. If the people here had the skills and/or interest in developing 3D games, they'd have already done so with other games already out. The fact we're still here on a 2D game further enforces that. It surely can't be the "gameplay", considering every change they've made is just a slight alteration of what was already done by them in the past.

4. I would have been more strict with how this section was run. Granted I did manage to get rid of most of the spammers/trolls, I didn't do much to help the issue of people crying for hand outs, which essentially is what made development slow down.

pretty much spot on. i used to be one of those that complained no one helped etc etc, and tbh... i still feel that way in a sense. however, i've learned after all the time spent in the help section, and running this section, that there will always be more people who want hand outs rather than hand ups. they'll take the help, but wont look at it to learn why it works how it works. that is why the "pros" don't help just anyone.

may web.very maple.pls.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
To me it died out when big sources were released and basically spoonfed the masses(at the time including me, but wasn't too into it). I remember when Shootsource and localMS v83 and hurricaneMS sources were released, they were god like sources compared to what was being developed here. private sources were godlike because the people behind it knew what they were doing which is why when they were released people would use them despite checking for bugs and exploits in them. Which of course led to the pros ddosing big ps servers that used their exploited sources back in the v83 days. Basically this was a big mess waiting to happen lol.

Now it's basically a dead development since it isn't worth the time to do it. It might come back when MapleStory 2 comes out but that's a big might.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Except that in practice, if the OdinMS creators aren't here or don't care, it's essentially a free-for-all (as it has been from pretty much the beginning).

They care. International lawsuites over grey area software are a pretty huge hassle though.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

Just gonna answer this question.

When people develop, time, effort, sweat and tears go into the product. Naturally the first thing they ask is "What's in it for me?". More specifically, they want a way to maximize their gains from such a project. In most cases the question is whether or not to release, or sell, or simply keep it to themselves.

This is my experience with whatever I have developed so far. Releasing doesn't do much for me. It's supposed to help with development, discuss ideas and maybe even get people involved. What really happens in the end is people who can do it, will do it themselves. So I'm really just releasing the idea. Leechers will take without giving. In the end selling gives me better gains. Heck, even keeping it to myself is better because then whatever private server I code for, I can code it in for the server as their "special feature", gaining e-fame to raise my e-penis on top of the money I'm paid.

Long story short, your question isn't what you're really asking for. There is development in the community, and hence your question is invalid. What you're really asking is whether or not there is a way to make developers release to the public, and hence gain development traction.

So to answer that new question, it's not impossible, but it's definitely close to that. We would need to give a reason for developers to gain from releasing. Not just gain, but gain more than they would from keeping it to themselves or selling it privately. And that's hard. Then the second part about development traction, you need a reason for people to further develop such a project, instead of just leeching off it. Or what I'd normally do, take the idea, code it way better than it was released as, then make it my own project. Then keep it to myself or sell it.

Bleh come to think of it, let's just pass it off as impossible. The current community lacks the original developer-density on a unified project, fuelled by the novelty of the idea to come up with a cohesive development team. We're better off developing in our own small development team. Then selling the code.

Back