Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hello RaGEZONE,
Today I will be showing you how to properly install No-IP's free domain, along with Microsoft's Loopback adapter so you may easily connect to your own server using a custom static IP. No-IP DUC will automatically find your WAN IP and redirect their domain to your server address. The Microsoft Loop-Back Adapter is used for you to have the ability to connect your own No-IP address (or your server's WAN-IP, but I won't be providing an explanation on that) through your local network without too much of a hassle. Included are pictures for this beginner friendly tutorial, I know this has been done before, although there is a lot of outdated guides.. Well, here goes nothing. Now that's out of the way, let's get started. :eek:tt1:

Requirements:
  1. Microsoft Windows (Windows XP and above).
  2. .
  3. .
  4. Your WAN IP address.
  5. (optional) The hostname or address you wish to loopback.
  6. (optional) Forwarded ports.

Part One: Installing Loopback Adapter.

Go ahead and run a quick search through your computer for "Device Manager"..
Or open Explorer, right click "This PC" and hit "Manage".
thIfvTj - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Once you've reached the Device Manager window, click your computer name or the "Action" tab at the menu bar and select "Add Legacy Hardware".
CjA7BAQ - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Self explanatory.. Next.
oCtkzUz - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)", then proceed with the installation by hitting next.
qDELG92 - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Scroll down the list until you locate the "Network Adapters" option. Select it and continue.
nmUNR5x - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

In the left panel, select the option "Microsoft". Then proceed by installing the "Microsoft KM-Test Loop Back Adapter" from the right side of the menu. Note: The name may vary slightly depending on the operating system you are running.
FjbAOtY - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Part Two: Setting up the newly installed Microsoft (KM-Test) Loopback Adapter.

Navigate to your control panel and select the "Open Network and Sharing Center" option from the menu.
From there you need to click "Change Adapter Settings" as shown below.
a59JgKv - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Right click "Loopback Adapter" > hit Properties.
e9Tnozv - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Un-check everything except IPV4/V6 and then hit "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" > Properties.
QN2dAdh - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Change the default (empty) settings to match your "CMD" > "ipconfig" results.
2ly0g7P - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

If you don't know what to put in the area above, press CTRL+R and type "cmd.exe" and hit enter.
Then type "ipconfig" in the black console box that pops up. There should be a list of addresses such as your Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. (Which are the only two options that may deviate from my own).

Part Three: No-IP Note: This program doesn't really 'hide' your ip or anything.
It is basically a convenient alternative to setting up a Static IP within windows or your router.

1.) Install No-IP from .
2.) Run your newly installed application and right click the program in the taskbar.
3.) Show the program then register or login. Almost there.

If you do not have an account click .
u950XRr - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Notice that we have two X's and no hosts yet? Good job, you have eyes.
1.) Press the "Edit Hosts" button.
2.) Follow the " " button within the text to log in to your control panel.
scuy7MQ - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Once you have activated your account/logged in for the first time by the website it's time to "Add a Host". ^^
xQ6I8Kv - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Click here for your WAN IP:
Copy the numbers after "Your IP Address is: " Including the periods. Example: "192.888.444.88".
1.) Type your server name in the hostname area, and select a No-IP free domain, the shorter the better.
*Note: If your No-IP address is too long, you might not be able to properly hex edit it into your Localhost.
2.) Be sure to have "DNS Host (A)" selected.
3.) Enter your WAN IP
4.) Add the host. You're done with the website now. :)
c4HGAUx - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

Now go back to the No-IP DUC and select your host, then press the "Update" button. After that press "Edit Hosts" and check your domain address. Your server should work for yourself and others on this address with the No-IP Domain so long as you've forwaded the proper ports and your moople/properties.ini and ServerConstants.java is set and compiled to the No-IP domain.
Bvaqnpc - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you for reading and take care!
-Linkerzz

Optional: HEX edit your client using . Open "Localhost.exe" and use the find function to look for the text string "127.0.0.1". Works for the v83 MoopleDev client. Change the standard loopback connection to your newly created No-IP domain, then save the exec while keeping the following in mind:
Never use the replace function.
Type over it.
The replace thing adds more bytes.

Have fun Mapling!!

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Very good guide and easy to understand with all the pictures!
11/10 would read again.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So if my wan ip changed i have to change the tcp/ip to my new wan ip addresa everytime??? Any solution for this??

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So if my wan ip changed i have to change the tcp/ip to my new wan ip addresa everytime??? Any solution for this??
Search the web: How to turn my dynamic IP into a static IP

Got this when passed the Character Selection. It dced me
Linkerzz - [Tutorial] LoopBack Adapter + No-IP - RaGEZONE Forums

What does your ServerConstants "HOST" equal? (sometimes its in world.ini/channel.ini) Is it set to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"?
In theory, if you used this guide properly, you should be able to use your wan/hamachi IP instead of the default loopback successfully.
If you still need help feel free to PM me with your teamviewer info, because this problem could be the result of any number of reasons

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Search the web: How to turn my dynamic IP into a static IP

What does your ServerConstants "HOST" equal? (sometimes its in world.ini/channel.ini) Is it set to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"?
In theory, if you used this guide properly, you should be able to use your wan/hamachi IP instead of the default loopback successfully.
If you still need help feel free to PM me with your teamviewer info, because this problem could be the result of any number of reasons

Well i want to change to the IP that my friends can join in.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well i want to change to the IP that my friends can join in.

Of course! Sorry for the late reply,
I searched for a few common errors, copy pasted them, and then expanded on it below.

1. Run the client/localhost as an administrator,
Right click your localhost, then go to > Properties > Compatibility > Change Settings for All Users > Run as Administrator (only a problem for for vista & win 7 users and up). Using compatibility mode (with"Windows XP Service Pack 3", or "Windows 7") or a fixed resolution of "640x480" may help, depending on the situation.

2. If other players can get online but not you, disable your loopback adapter (if only you disconnect after PIC / character selection but others can get on, it usually means you either have yet to, or did not properly set up the loopback adapter, uninstall it and try again).

3. Check your ip, mac, and hwid bans plus your mac filters in the database to make sure you aren't blocked.

4. Check your antivirus, if any, and make sure that your firewall is not blocking MapleStory or your locahost from connecting/accessing the internet. (sometimes ports 8484, 7575-7594 get blocked).

5. If the problem is still persisting, try and restart your server, restart the computer, reinstall the driver, check your connection to the internet, make sure the proper ports are forwarded, double check your source to be certain the host is set up to the proper address (or loopback address).

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Of course! Sorry for the late reply,
I searched for a few common errors, copy pasted them, and then expanded on it below.

1. Run the client/localhost as an administrator,
Right click your localhost, then go to > Properties > Compatibility > Change Settings for All Users > Run as Administrator (only a problem for for vista & win 7 users and up). Using compatibility mode (with"Windows XP Service Pack 3", or "Windows 7") or a fixed resolution of "640x480" may help, depending on the situation.

2. If other players can get online but not you, disable your loopback adapter (if only you disconnect after PIC / character selection but others can get on, it usually means you either have yet to, or did not properly set up the loopback adapter, uninstall it and try again).

3. Check your ip, mac, and hwid bans plus your mac filters in the database to make sure you aren't blocked.

4. Check your antivirus, if any, and make sure that your firewall is not blocking MapleStory or your locahost from connecting/accessing the internet. (sometimes ports 8484, 7575-7594 get blocked).

5. If the problem is still persisting, try and restart your server, restart the computer, reinstall the driver, check your connection to the internet, make sure the proper ports are forwarded, double check your source to be certain the host is set up to the proper address (or loopback address).

None worked. Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back