Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Setup dedicated server mssql2005/xampp

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I found myself falling down over a couple things while setting up my server on a dedicated server. Most of the thing where already posted on ragezone but not really awnserd clearly, thats why I decided to make this guide. This guide is for most Windows 2003 Servers

I will divide this guide in 3 parts:

- Website/xampp
- Mssql2005/odbc
- Connecting/ports

We start off with a list of the things you need:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- SQL Server Management Studio Express http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=65110
- Xampp http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
- xampp fix
- Your own server/website files

WEBSITE/XAMPP
Step 1: Shutting down standard webserver.
Start --> Programs --> Administrative Tools --> IIS Manager
Open the local computer tab, and open the web sites tab.
Now rightclick Default SMTP Virtual Server and stop it,
do the same for all websites.

Step 2: Install Xampp
This shouldn't be to hard, you can install it with your own preferences.
Replace the ntwdblib.dll (xampp fix) in Xampp/php/ and in xampp/apache/bin/
Now start/restart xampp and make sure apache is running.

Step 3: Website
Open htdocs in your xampp and delete all files. Now put your webfiles in it.
You might want to rename your phpmyadmin folder in xampp to something like nfc75t8nf5mt7yn7fm7nny5m7 for security issues.

MSSQL2005/ODBC
Step 1: Installing
Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and make sure you set an password.
Install SQL Server Management Studio Express

Step 2: Setting up Databases
You will see that you can logonto the database with 2 different accounts:
- Administrator (without password)
- Sa, with the password you set.

Now open SQL management studio, and connect.
Rightclick database and click new database. Put in kal_auth and click on OK.
Do the same only then name it kal_db.

Next open the database tab and rightclick kal_auth --> tasks --> restore --> database
Select "From device" and hit the ... behind it. Next click add and locate your kal_auth database.
Once you have done that close screens until youget back to the restore database screen. Go to Options,
click "overwrite existing database" and you might wanna set another path for your databases(optional)

Note: If you cannot select your database or get an error, close the sql manager. Start-->programs-->SqlManager, right click it
Properties --> security tab. Here just give access to everyone until you setup the database.

Step 3: ODBC
Start --> Programs --> administrative Tools --> ODBC
Go to the system DSN tab and click on add.
Select SQL Server, name: kal_auth optional description and server: PCNAME\SQLEXPRESS (you can see this when you start sql server manager)
Click next, and next again. Here you tick the "Change the default database to" and select kal_auth. Hit next until your done.
Next do the same for Kal_db.

CONNECTING/PORTS
Start --> Settings --> network connections --> rightclick local Area network (the one connected) --> Properties --> Internet Protocol --> Properties --> Advanced --> Options TAB --> click TCP/IP Filtering --> Properties --> Enable TCP/IP Filtering --> Add --> TCP PORT: 30001 and 50003(update server) and 80 if not already in.
Close all screens.
Start --> Settings --> Control panel --> Firewall --> click ON --> Exeptions TAB --> Add PORTS 30001 and 80 (50003)
Close All screens again, you might have to restart the server now.

In your website you can connect with $connect = mssql_connect('PCNAME\SQLEXPRESS','sa','yoursetpwd') or die('Wrong Info');
If you start your kal servers you probably get an firewall popup, click on Allow or something like that when it appears.

This should do the trick.

TimmeY

Last edited:
A.K.A /v\aX /--/ PHP Guru
Reaction score
Re: [TUT]Setup dedicated server mssql2005/xampp

Nice guide :) tho xampp O.O I find it suxs an Abyss Web Server is way better than xampp.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Really good!!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: [Guide] Setup dedicated server mssql2005/xampp

very good guide but can i use this guide also for just a server at home? because on my own website i cant register and maybe whit this? what site do you recommand to make upload ur files to? phpnet.us? or other one?
ty

Cant get it working >.>

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

very good guide but can i use this guide also for just a server at home? because on my own website i cant register and maybe whit this? what site do you recommand to make upload ur files to? phpnet.us? or other one?
ty

Cant get it working >.> www.darksoulserver.tk

You can use it, but instead of doing the ports on the firewall and tcp/ip you've to openup ports on your router. And xampp is to host your website yourself.. so you dont need to upload your files anywhere.

TimmeY

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

how to use dbconnect with windows web 2008 ? ...

someone told me with $odbc_connect? ... but how? ...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

I think you can use either odbc or mssql to connect. It will look like this:
mssql:
$connect = mssql_connect('PCNAME\SQLEXPRESS','sa','yoursetpwd ') or die('Wrong Info');
odbc:
$connect = odbc_connect('dns','user','password') or die ('Wrong info');

TimmeY

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: Setup dedicated server mssql2005/xampp

When i set everything up and try to start the game i cant get pass the log in screen i put in id and pass and nothing happens. Any one know how i can fix this thx.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

does your mainserver show any message in red about MD5 or does it show a message about csocket ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

No it doesnt say eather of them it says everything is ready. but i saw some talking about changing a password but i dont understand that. or i might need to set up my launcher it still says webadim.dontexist.org@port30001 do you think its because i need to change that.thx

i think it might be the updater not conecting to my server.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

guys if anyone can help me with some site sample i mean someone to give em the site to copy in htdocs i cant fiind any and im not to good in doing one pls add me on msn naspa_13@yahoo.com or post a link here where i can take few:cool:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

really good guide but some ppls tell me i cant connect my website to my mssql if my hoster is phpnet.us but is it true if its not anyone can help me to connect it??

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Im having same prob as taxi2007 i cant connect site to the mssql and dont see the registration on the site i set up plzz if you can help msg he hear or on aim name is FrozenDeath10.
thxxx

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

Nice guide :) tho xampp O.O I find it suxs an Abyss Web Server is way better than xampp.

Agree.

Xampp is ever been anything but safe
and should never be the way to a server on the Internet

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

MSSQL2005/ODBC

Step 2: Setting up Databases
You will see that you can logonto the database with 2 different accounts:
- Administrator (without password)
- Sa, with the password you set.

Now open SQL management studio, and connect.
Rightclick database and click new database. Put in kal_auth and click on OK.
Do the same only then name it kal_db.

Allright first of all thanks for making this guide, but i could use some help because im with a question and i'm getting an error.

My question is does it matter when you start the ''Server management studio'' if you choose windows authentication instead of SQL server authentication without a password? Because i have no clue where i can get the password.

When i run the program with windows authentication and i want to make a new database, kal_auth im getting this error when i press ''OK''

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
------------------------------
Create failed for Database 'kal_auth'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)
------------------------------
De machtiging CREATE DATABASE is geweigerd in database master. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 262)

Sorry if you all think im a noob but im really trying lol, anyways if you could have a look at it i would really appreciate.

Sacario

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

well you make the pass word when you fist setting it up it ask for windows mode or mixed with mised you make a pass word.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

own server files...like what? I don't got server files and what should I need then of files?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Next open the database tab and rightclick kal_auth --> tasks --> restore --> database
Select "From device" and hit the ... behind it. Next click add and locate your kal_auth database.
Once you have done that close screens until youget back to the restore database screen. Go to Options,
click "overwrite existing database" and you might wanna set another path for your databases(optional)

WHERE CAN I FIND KAL_auth because many guide use only rangame1,ranlog,ranshop and ranuser plssss help me.........

and where can i find the iss manager with vista ultimate.........

Back