Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Upgrading current motherboard

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have this older HP pavilion, which uses the nagami2 motherboard. It recently went out (stopped posting) and I only had ~50$ so I bought another one, and, well, currently the performance is kinda depressing. It uses 1 gig of non-ecc ddr ram running at 200 mhz, which doesn't do poop for me. Pretty much relies on virtual memory to run everything. The processor I'm using is the 3800+, which isn't a horrible processor, out dated, but not garbage for what I do (I can even run sc2 if I want to, but I try to stay away from it).

Basically, I'm looking for some recommendations for ram upgrades, maybe a processor upgrade although I'm satisfied. I'll put a speccy screenshot.

My video card bounces between 50~65 degrees mostly. Sometimes goes higher, but not often.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What type of price range are you looking at? Are you planning on sticking with the Athlon 64 setup? Give us a money amount, and we can definitely help recommend something.

If you lived closer, I have 3 full Athlon motherboards all put together with 4 gigs of ram apiece and aftermarket CPU coolers literally gathering dust on my shelf -laughs-

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
o.o

If you live in the states, I might be able to work with that. And yes, I wanted to stick with that setup because I don't have the money for a new motherboard and processor. In fact, I've found most socket 939 processors to be really expensive.

I don't want to spend anymore than 250$ on this, because a better computer would be ~300

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. its the socket thats the problem - finding a motherboard that fits is nowadays is tough to do! I know I still miss my trusty socket 939 computers.. they never had any problems. The only reason Ive got the motherboards and such still is because I eventually moved up and away from the 939 series. =)

I just checked the three motherboards I have sittign in my room..

Asus RoG Socket 940 (AM2)
DFI LANPart 790FXB (Socket 940)
and just found my A8N-SLI Deluxe socket 939, it still has a chip on it, with the stock heatsink. Not sure which chip, I really cant remember - but I am pretty darn sure its either a 3700+, or 3800+ (I bought a batch of chips that were like 50 bucks apiece of sale for my brother, dad, and myself)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a socket 939 processor, but what are you asking for for that motherboard?

And we're both on the west coast so shipping wouldn't be a real big pain.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have a socket 939 processor, but what are you asking for for that motherboard?

And we're both on the west coast so shipping wouldn't be a real big pain.

Considering this stuff is literally sittign in my shelf doing -nothing-, and has been for at least 5 years now - it woudl be a steal of a deal.

Also, I just pulled out the RAM I used in the board - 4 gigs of OCZ Titanium Edition PC 3200 ram. I keep all my sticks of memory in bubble packing tape rolled into a sealed envelope. :)

Edit: Have it all plugged in with an old GPU, green light on boot and its chilling out humming away nice and quiet - trying to find an old monitor to plug it into so I can diagnose the BIOS and see what it has in it.

I will have to put this all together and see if it still boots up, Ive got a PSU right behind me, and since it has a processor itll let me see what it was running when I took it apart.

Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, let me know. I'll PM you my msn, make this a little easier.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
As a heads up, this is the RAM kit I bought back in the day.

I remember being raped by prices back then, it was some ungodly amount like $200 for a paired stack of memory. Got creamed back then -laughs-.

And this is the motherboard I am working on right now:

Reaction score
Just wanted to butt in and vouch for Sardaukar if you end up buying those parts from him. He's an older member and trustworthy guy, you can rest assured knowing that he's not going to run off with your cash or rip you off.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, once Squiggles gets his stuff all figured out on his end, it will be good to go. Literally giving him most of an entire computer for next to nothing. A8N-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego Core Processor, 4 gigs OCZ DDR 400 PC 3200, and an 8800 GTS. If you guys knew what I'll be giving it to him for, you would probably poop yourself -laughs-. But, its good in my book, it more useful to him, then it is for me!

Its literal junk sitting around that is cluttering up my closet/workshop space in the other room. And if I dont give it to someone who needs it, it will end up being tossed out at one point or another!

Reaction score
Yeah, once Squiggles gets his stuff all figured out on his end, it will be good to go. Literally giving him most of an entire computer for next to nothing. A8N-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego Core Processor, 4 gigs OCZ DDR 400 PC 3200, and an 8800 GTS. If you guys knew what I'll be giving it to him for, you would probably poop yourself -laughs-. But, its good in my book, it more useful to him, then it is for me!

Its literal junk sitting around that is cluttering up my closet/workshop space in the other room. And if I dont give it to someone who needs it, it will end up being tossed out at one point or another!

That's the way to go mate. I used to store up PC parts like no tomorrow thinking "I'll use these someday..." but when the day actually comes, they're too old and too outdated. Best to pass it onto someone who can actually benefit from them, and make a little cash at the same time.

Back