Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Video card choosing...

Reaction score
Why waste the money on a 8800 right now...Your better off waiting for the 8950's or for some decent drivers for the gts series. Or atleast some DX10 games to even be released.

The likely hood of an 8950 is slim. There probably won't be any dual G80 boards out there.

And if there was. That still wouldn't change the fact that the 8800 GTS 320mb is the best bargain out there. Because it will just remain the same $300usd.

As far as prices I can get a 7600 for about $75 and a 8600GT for $120. Obviously there isnt much of a difference except the DX10 support and your better off just building a new rig if your goin for the 8800's since DDR3 ram and new phenom chips will be here soon. Espically if your using XP your better off just goin with what you need.

Midrange DX10 = joke. To weak to make use out of it.

And DDR3 is a joke. Timing are to high and the cost is to high. You can pay $100 usd for 2gb Cosair XMS DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12 or you can pay $500usd for 2gb of Cosair XMS DDR3-1200 @ 7-7-7-20. What the difference? For $400 less you can run the ram at 1066mzh w/ 5-5-5-15 and the performance of that would be far better then the DDR3 and you just saved $400usd.

And the K10s are a joke. Intel is still faster then them. Only real hope for AMD is making dual chip setups affordable. Then AMD will have a chance since dual chip Intel setup will cost several grand.

NoPeace - out

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I read somewhere that various video cards have various shader, in 8800 is shader 4, if i not mistake...
What does this shaders for? and what is the differences between them?

Reaction score
I read somewhere that various video cards have various shader, in 8800 is shader 4, if i not mistake...
What does this shaders for? and what is the differences between them?

You mean the Pixel Shaders?

Well that's basically down to special effects. Like waves on beaches, lighting, HDR, and other things.

DX9 uses Pixel Shader 2.0 for all their features. DX9.0C uses Pixel Shader 3.0 for all of their added special effects like HDR lighting and a few other things.

DX10 uses Pixel Shader 4.0. So basically... The DX version of a card relates to what Pixel Shader it can do. To be DX10 certified it needs to do Pixel Shader 4.0.

If you want to know what the difference between 3.0 and 4.0 then it's not much. 4.0 is more efficient so it's possible to turn on most of the 3.0 features with out much performance loss.

NoPeace - out

Back