Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Your positive/negative laptop experiences

HAARP
Reaction score
My beloved 8-year old acer travelmate 290 lmi died this last Saturday (R.I.P. Q2 2003-Q4 2011) and I would like to share the surprisingly positive experience I had with it considering all the people that hate acer with a passion over the internet. First of all, I would like to say that back then laptop prices were pretty high and I shelled out ~1000 pounds for the 1.5Ghz model. I could have opted for some other model with a dedicated graphic card but I would have to drop 2000 pounds for that which is around 4000$ and I couldn't truly justify the expense. Games that I liked could still be barely played like counter strike 1.6 and hl 1, ut2004, ut goty, need for speed (an early version don't remember which) and others. So a part from the expensive prices it was more than a paperweight, it better be for 1000 pounds!

The years passed (oh poop, the memories) and it soon came the day when the battery died. This was partly my fault due to battery overuse but still a defect in my eyes. ...They still sell those batteries online for 50$ so it's not that much of a problem. And only another thing failed in the entire system after 8 years which is again partly my fault for casually overclocking the pci frequency which made the HDD suffer from time to time for the past 2 years until it said goodbye last Saturday.

Specs of the overclocked old man
Evil.
.Yoss. - Your positive/negative laptop experiences - RaGEZONE Forums

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 1 Cores - 1 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Pentium M processor 1500MHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2)
CPUID : 6.9.5 / Extended : 6.9
CPU Cache : L1 : 32 / 32 KB - L2 : 1024 KB
Core : Banias (0.130) / Stepping : B1
Freq : 666.01 MHz (111 * 6)

MB Brand : Intel
MB Model : 855GM
NB : Intel i855GM/GME rev A2
SB : Intel 82801DB (ICH4-M) rev 03

GPU Type : Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
DirectX Version : 9.0c

RAM : 512 MB DDR
RAM Speed : 148 MHz (3:4) @ 2-3-3-6
Slot 1 : 256MB (2700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Samsung
Slot 2 : 256MB (2700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Samsung

Anyways before anyone labels me of fanboy let me tell you that it got replaced with an ASUS. I could have bought an acer aspire but people seem to get burned by the aspire line a lot.

Do you guys have any experiences you'd like to share about laptops you've owned or used?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The old laptops were more sturdy than the ones you get today, my brothers first laptop was one of the first laptops that were available for home users, 9 or 8 years ago, it costed 2000€ (about 2700 usd) it was a dual core with 2.2 Ghz and I'm not sure about any other part of the specs eitherway it lasted until today, the only thing that died was the charger and the battery life time sucks because the battery can't hold much of a charge anymore, but it works plugged in
It's noisy and heavy though

I got my laptop 1.5 years ago I had to RMA it twice because the plastic casing was breaking appart and the keyboard was messing up once.

That's why ACER is now so hated, it might have had quality before but now laptops aren't what they used to be, they became cheap but also fragile

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have some weird experiences. First, as a bad one, I destroyed my camera on it, ripped of the space-bar, made it all dirty with chips all in the buttons, at the end its got so mad, it kept turning off, he never liked me!
The good ones were probably... none.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Positive
Has lots of space
It Runs Fast

Negative
Graphic card cannot be upgraded
It heats up so quickly
It lags or gets slow whenever I don't plug the charger

Reaction score
Positive:
you can sit anywhere in a place using a laptop
you can bring it anywhere (with power outlet)
bring it in your toilet (happy thoughts)

Negative:
-Graphics card cannot be upgraded. (but i have a GTX560M so i can run games i want in high/ultra settings with no lag)
-LCD/Screen cannot be upgraded.
-It heats up so quickly (but some laptops has good ventilation already so it will not heat up so quickly.)

@Jazeon- you can change the setting (It lags or gets slow whenever I don't plug the charger) i experienced this before. but i change some settings in the Power Option. because if you plug in your laptop the processor will run 100% but when you dont plug it. only 10-20% only is running. now i dont lag anymore whether i plug it in or not. :)

Reaction score
I dont have a laptop but my dad has one, my afraid in laptops are actually the massive times that you open and close it, i don't know if the laptop will screw or not. also i don't really like the keyboards of the laptops, they just don't have the space i like to have in a keyboard but yeah i can fix the problem by buying an usb keyboard but doing that will steal me alot of free space in my desk. i quite prefer to have a desktop.

Back