Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Bodyweight Training

Reaction score
Hey all hope you're good. As most know I love to train and coach, here's a new video I made training with a friend of mine. The idea is to use video to track his training and progress over time. And to also use the footage to demonstrate training drills etc.

Do you workout? Do you use bodyweight training?

Reaction score
Urgh situps, such a horrible exercise. Axler, C. and McGill, S. from the University of Waterloo would agree.

Give that a read. Situps places excessive stress on the lumbar region of your spin and with prolonged exposure to such activities will bring forth the onset of chronic lower back pain. Alternative exercises, such as crunches, place less stress on the lumbar and will provide comparable levels of stress to the abdominal areas.

Personally I do love to use body weight training programs. For the last 4 months I've been doing them, shifting away from a power lifting circuit. While your combo set does provide adequate challenge, there are undo risks with it that can be easily avoided. Instead of doing a pushup, situp, squat rotation you can simply break it up into two sets. One set where you simple do a burpee (push up to a jump squat) to target your pectorals, triceps, and legs. Then the second set could target different muscle grouping, including your abdominal. This way you target each muscle group maximally while minimizing undo risk. A body weight ab exercise I like to do would involve doing a chin up and then during the eccentric phase you do a leg lift. This way you are targeting your biceps, lats, as well as your abs.

Even then, personally I stick to single exercises when I do my body weight training. Most recently my workout consisted on a 2 sets of 25 reps regiment. It was: body weight rows, crunches, pushups, 24" box jumps, and leg lifts using a dip stand. I would do one set of 25 reps for each exercise going as fast as possible while maintaining proper form and then cycle back for a second set. Progress was measured by the reduction in time it took to complete.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I used to 'workout' (I say 'workout' because I wasn't extremely dedicated to it, was kinda like every other day) because I wanted to enlist in the Marine Corps. Sadly though that dream was crushed as I broke 2 vertebrae in my spine, and am also epileptic.

I would still workout but with my broken vertebrae I can't lift 35+ pounds or even stand for long. But I used to do 2-3 sets of 10-20 pushups, sit-ups, and a few other body weight exercises a day; however pull-ups were like my mortal enemy. I couldn't do a single one.

I've watched quite a few of your videos though Lee and you impress me every time. Would have loved to have had you as a personal trainer when I was vigilant about working out.

Reaction score
I used to 'workout' (I say 'workout' because I wasn't extremely dedicated to it, was kinda like every other day) because I wanted to enlist in the Marine Corps. Sadly though that dream was crushed as I broke 2 vertebrae in my spine, and am also epileptic.

I would still workout but with my broken vertebrae I can't lift 35+ pounds or even stand for long. But I used to do 2-3 sets of 10-20 pushups, sit-ups, and a few other body weight exercises a day; however pull-ups were like my mortal enemy. I couldn't do a single one.

I've watched quite a few of your videos though Lee and you impress me every time. Would have loved to have had you as a personal trainer when I was vigilant about working out.

Thanks mate and I'm sorry to hear about your injuries bro! If you aren't already, look for some kind of resistance you can train the body with. Perhaps you would be more suited to forms of Chigung training, with an emphasis on internal development, rather than external!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just stick to pull ups, press ups, dips and pistol squats for body weight exercises. The former 3 because they're some of the GOAT exercises, weighted or unweighted and the latter because it's a good stretch to warm up before proper weighted squats

Reaction score
I just stick to pull ups, press ups, dips and pistol squats for body weight exercises. The former 3 because they're some of the GOAT exercises, weighted or unweighted and the latter because it's a good stretch to warm up before proper weighted squats

Totally agree, they're always in my routines through the year in some variation. Personally I've been working on my hindu pushups again.

Here's a clip of the mat in the op working some kicks with me.

Reaction score
Totally agree, they're always in my routines through the year in some variation. Personally I've been working on my hindu pushups again.

Here's a clip of the mat in the op working some kicks with me.

I notice on some of his kicks he lifts his foot before his knee ( not sure how else to explain it, but it makes it more apparent that a kick is coming ) whereas your kicks are more snappy from the knee, almost whip-like.

Is this something you are going to iron out with him eventually, or is it acceptable in your opinion? I know there are a bunch of different kicks but I'm clueless on all of them so go easy on me :p

Reaction score
I notice on some of his kicks he lifts his foot before his knee ( not sure how else to explain it, but it makes it more apparent that a kick is coming ) whereas your kicks are more snappy from the knee, almost whip-like.

Is this something you are going to iron out with him eventually, or is it acceptable in your opinion? I know there are a bunch of different kicks but I'm clueless on all of them so go easy on me :p

Aye over the next few weeks I expect his kicks to tighten up a lot. You're right, when he lifts his knee to position his leg to kick (called chambering), his foot should be closer as the further away the heavier it will be, slowing the whole thing down. The re-chamber should get quicker over time too, improving the sting of the shot and making it harder to counter.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What combat sports do you compete in and at what weight class? I'm not much of a MMA kind of guy but it looks like you do kickboxing and you look like you're good at it just from your previous vid. Compete on any level?

Reaction score
I used to fight on the British and English national kickboxing squad. Best I got was a silver medal at the world championships in freestyle karate / kickboxing. That was in back in 2003. Since then I've fought kickboxing, low-kick, and Muay Thai. Always between 60-65kg.

Haven't fought in a good few years, but would love to again. Potentially later this year, but likely next.

Do you train too dude?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Holy guacamole that's a real accomplishment, well done for that. What stopped you from competing if you don't mind me asking?

I've never trained in any combat sport (I wasn't allowed as a kid) and feel to old now at 23. I did train as a bodybuilder for 3 years though and injuries have forced to be a bit more relaxed with my training.

You look like you'd be a very fast fighter and had to hit in your videos by the way you move around.

Reaction score
Holy guacamole that's a real accomplishment, well done for that. What stopped you from competing if you don't mind me asking?

I've never trained in any combat sport (I wasn't allowed as a kid) and feel to old now at 23. I did train as a bodybuilder for 3 years though and injuries have forced to be a bit more relaxed with my training.

You look like you'd be a very fast fighter and had to hit in your videos by the way you move around.

Thanks :) I stopped because life got in the way! Moved to Scotland with my wife so she could study at a decent Uni for speech therapy, during this time I've been injured a lot too. So injuries combined with needing to make money meant I couldn't focus so much on being fighting fit. I will be competing again when I'm fit enough.

23 isn't too old, I'm 29 :) The hardest part now is being disciplined with diet, that didn't matter when I was younger!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Do you ever regret not sticking to it 100% or do you think you'll ever get back into it as strictly as you were before? Unfortunately injuries such and most of the time they will recur once you've hurt yourself before. What is your typical routine if you don't mind me asking?

You've inspired me anyway, I called up a guy in a nearby city to organise some 1-on-1 muay thai lessons.

Back