Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Haven't visited in 6 years. Former admin, super mod, and banned many times... AMA

Reaction score
So haven't visited this place for 6 years. My life changed, didn't have much time for these kinds of places anymore. But I wanted to visit and look this place up. Seeing a ton of familiar names.

So little about me. I first 'interacted' with MentaL in 2001, getting really in contact in 2002 after I ratted him out for faking a screenshot.
Later that year I joined RZ and set up these forums, as he was unfamiliar with vBulletin, and I had like a little bit of experience, so obviously I felt like a forum god and helped out.

I've met a whole bunch of the old members, including MentaL who showed my naked grandpa's...

Anyway without going too much in story mode, ask away, there is very little I'm private about.

MentaL can you change my name back, this was supposed to be temporary. ;)

Reaction score
Haha same here.. thought I would check out the place after many years, used to be into habbo at 14/15/16… 25 now and having a poke around ?????? it’s good to reminisce, good to see the place still going…

Reaction score
Haha same here.. thought I would check out the place after many years, used to be into habbo at 14/15/16… 25 now and having a poke around ������ it’s good to reminisce, good to see the place still going…
So after no post in nearly 2 days, the first 1 is from a habbotard... sorry couldn't pass it up haha.

I still very much dislike Habbo, but for different reasons. It's just a pedoinfested chatroom, it's crazy how many old dudes are on it.
poop, why the hell am I on here also? Oh yeah, I was curious if this site was still around. lmfao
What's up NoPeace!

I knew the site was still around, but had no clue about activity etc. The OW seems to be fairly dead tbh. Maybe I need to get DTB in here and start a riot.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Anyway without going too much in story mode, ask away, there is very little I'm private about.

Welcome back. I guess from your time MMO Deving was a pioneer innovation. At the moment it's pretty much a shell of itself now a days. Nobody actually wants to dev anymore and those that do are either pretending to become devs/admins when they can't even operate a basic commandline themselves, or those who are truly developers prefers not to waste their time on MMO games at all.

I honestly don't have many questions regarding the state of this board to be honest, since I kinda already got most of the answers I need. It's still quite
a mystery for me to see where did all the actual devs who are still into hosting MMO private servers for unique games go. But I've pretty much build enough connections to reach there and get some answers at least. One of these days I like to actually become a dev and reach end-game status.

I sometimes ask myself, why is no one interested in private servers anymore, Takedowns are almost non existence now a days since these MMO companies perfers to dev all their games in mobile now, there's no point to sue for these PC games when in the next few years or so they'll be no longer in service. It should be the best timeline, but nobody really cares about hosting anymore. All we get now is people who can't code for poop and a lot of foreigners in the scene. I don't like to be negative but that's how it feels around here now

I don't know, maybe I am wrong.

Reaction score
Welcome back. I guess from your time MMO Deving was a pioneer innovation. At the moment it's pretty much a shell of itself now a days. Nobody actually wants to dev anymore and those that do are either pretending to become devs/admins when they can't even operate a basic commandline themselves, or those who are truly developers prefers not to waste their time on MMO games at all.

I honestly don't have many questions regarding the state of this board to be honest, since I kinda already got most of the answers I need. It's still quite
a mystery for me to see where did all the actual devs who are still into hosting MMO private servers for unique games go. But I've pretty much build enough connections to reach there and get some answers at least. One of these days I like to actually become a dev and reach end-game status.

I sometimes ask myself, why is no one interested in private servers anymore, Takedowns are almost non existence now a days since these MMO companies perfers to dev all their games in mobile now, there's no point to sue for these PC games when in the next few years or so they'll be no longer in service. It should be the best timeline, but nobody really cares about hosting anymore. All we get now is people who can't code for poop and a lot of foreigners in the scene. I don't like to be negative but that's how it feels around here now

I don't know, maybe I am wrong.
Actually when RZ started, there was almost no deving either. The server files for Legend of Mir 2 leaked and MentaL got his hands on them. Running a server was easy, adding items was also extremely easy. It wasn't until much later that we had some new developed content outside of the official stuff.

I have no clue where all the devs went. This forum had different phases. It originally started as a wrestling forum with MentaL being a fan, I don't think I knew anyone besides him who was on it. When he got the server files he started his own server and that's when the community started.
Years later more server files became available and he started sections for them, and from there it just kept grewing. Early on I don't think there were any real devs, but it grew, I know some people who decided to create their own game, or further developed abandoned games etc.

I think private servers are no longer a real thing, due to things changing so much. I mean back then there was no p2w model, no cosmetics or whatever. It was just the monthly fee.
Back then we also looked very differently at prices. Spending money on a game outside of it's original purchase was just crazy, that didn't happen. But these days it's normal. I work with teens and they find it completely normal to spend 50 on a game and 50 on premium currency.

I think there is also something missing to really excite people for a specific game. I mean WoW was pretty much the biggest MMO release, and still does fairly well today, but the engine is super old, I honestly wonder how many brand new players get in it?

And lastly there is how consume content. Everything needs to be quick, little effort and in doubt, throw money at it. Old school MMO's are nothing like that. The teens I work with can't even pay attention to the TV for more then 2 minutes without looking at their phone. How are they gonna deal with a 3 hour raid?

Reaction score
I think there is also something missing to really excite people for a specific game. I mean WoW was pretty much the biggest MMO release, and still does fairly well today, but the engine is super old, I honestly wonder how many brand new players get in it?

Plus, now there's WoW Classic/TBC, which I think put a big dent in the WoW private server "industry". I've resubbed to WoW like 10 times over the years because I've never made it past like level 20, so I guess I'm technically a new player? Every time I try to play again I feel like the community just isn't what it used to be and what made it special, even though I have no firsthand experience with it, but it just doesn't hold me. Not really what point I'm trying to make, but whatever.

Reaction score
Plus, now there's WoW Classic/TBC, which I think put a big dent in the WoW private server "industry". I've resubbed to WoW like 10 times over the years because I've never made it past like level 20, so I guess I'm technically a new player? Every time I try to play again I feel like the community just isn't what it used to be and what made it special, even though I have no firsthand experience with it, but it just doesn't hold me. Not really what point I'm trying to make, but whatever.
I've considered playing classic, but it would be from a nostalgia point of view. I don't have the time for it, nor do I wish to spend it on that.

Things have changed, it's normal. You can always try and wish to relive the old days etc, but it won't work.

If I look at how we played and ran Mir 19 years ago, it wouldn't last a month now. Why? Because back then people accepted us being amateurs, doing stuff that wasn't ok from a professional standpoint, because it was free, there was no alternative etc. But this also created the community, the players back then didn't like playing by the rules, we liked to duck around.

Anyone who knows the history between DTB and myself, probably couldn't imagine that there is great affection for each other, we've met several times, had great fun, and even after meeting up, we can still argue like hell with each other, getting pissed off.
Basically we created a family due to all the BS.

Oh and the internet, especially online gaming, was for a different breed of people really. I mean the main core of RZ pretty much all had a ton of poop going on in their life. Online gaming has now become the standard really. I just don't think you can reproduce what we had.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Actually when RZ started, there was almost no deving either. The server files for Legend of Mir 2 leaked and MentaL got his hands on them. Running a server was easy, adding items was also extremely easy. It wasn't until much later that we had some new developed content outside of the official stuff.

I have no clue where all the devs went. This forum had different phases. It originally started as a wrestling forum with MentaL being a fan, I don't think I knew anyone besides him who was on it. When he got the server files he started his own server and that's when the community started.
Years later more server files became available and he started sections for them, and from there it just kept grewing. Early on I don't think there were any real devs, but it grew, I know some people who decided to create their own game, or further developed abandoned games etc.

I think private servers are no longer a real thing, due to things changing so much. I mean back then there was no p2w model, no cosmetics or whatever. It was just the monthly fee.
Back then we also looked very differently at prices. Spending money on a game outside of it's original purchase was just crazy, that didn't happen. But these days it's normal. I work with teens and they find it completely normal to spend 50 on a game and 50 on premium currency.

And lastly there is how consume content. Everything needs to be quick, little effort and in doubt, throw money at it. Old school MMO's are nothing like that. The teens I work with can't even pay attention to the TV for more then 2 minutes without looking at their phone. How are they gonna deal with a 3 hour raid?

I'm Brazilian and since I was 12 years old, I have visited French, Spanish and also North American communities like: RZ, Elitepvp and many others. Today I'm 22 years old men, and I can say that I have seen a lot of things happen in the last 10 years. To start this discussion, I'd like to remind you about that the adobe's decision to kill flash in 2021 has contributed to the closing of a cycle, and I think it contributed even more to moving people away from private communities (because most archives available in the communities is flash games) and these games were much easier to set up.

In all the communities I've visited, the flash games (for some reason) have always been the most popular, you'd hardly see anyone with a MU server, or WOW server in those days, because those things were really hard to set up (duck), and also because always we had a very small number of really serious and capable people to develop this kind of server in these communities. Many years ago, we didn't have "free" and accessible technologies like we have today, developers now uses Unity, Unreal engine and many others 3D graphics (poop and vulnerable) engines, which are already easy to access, develop and hack.

You also said that today's young people aren't like us about games, and that's true, but it's also our reality, because today no one wants to spend 3 hours on a RAID to farm a single item, our time is no longer like 10 years ago. In the same way, this has become the reality of private development communities, people today are too busy to waste their time reverse-engineering old games, because it just doesn't make sense anymore, some people are still here just for nostalgia. I've had my own private gaming community as well, and from that, I can say: the best thing to do (right now) is changing this forum structure, and starting to teach people about how create your own games.

Back