Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

People who HATE flying

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
How on Earth have you got over this srs? I've been flying on average 3 times a year mostly on 7hr+ flights, each time I feel worse than the last. Looking for advice plzzzzzzz

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Some people take sleeping pills and sleep the whole way.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just concentrate on squeezing something haha, I'm only scared of taking off, don't mind the actual flight (even though I do get restless (ADHD)) but I love landing, because I know I'm safe then hahaha

ส็็็็็็็
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just hate that I can't pop my ears so during take off and landing I have severe ear ache. The last time I flew was a few weeks ago and I couldn't equalize the pressure for over a week afterwards which was crazy. The earache only lasted a few hours but I couldn't hear as well as I could until roughly a week afterwards where my ears randomly popped while sleeping.

My only fear is that, my advise to you is put a movie, tv shows, etc on your phone and watch it during take off and landing, and while waiting to board.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Once I get in the air I'm fine. While the plane is taking off I usually try and distract myself with various items I brought along in a carry-on or partake in some deep breathing exercises, those really help with my anxiety. However, I have only flown a handfull of times in my life.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you have someone with you, it's normally easier as they can help distract you and just talk to you. Or put a blindfold on and just try and fall asleep.

What exactly is it that scares you?

Reaction score
I just hate that I can't pop my ears so during take off and landing I have severe ear ache. The last time I flew was a few weeks ago and I couldn't equalize the pressure for over a week afterwards which was crazy. The earache only lasted a few hours but I couldn't hear as well as I could until roughly a week afterwards where my ears randomly popped while sleeping.

My only fear is that, my advise to you is put a movie, tv shows, etc on your phone and watch it during take off and landing, and while waiting to board.

I can get that sooo bad sometimes, it's pretty much unbearable at first. The worst time I was in bad pain for hours after the flight.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Here is something that might help you overcome your fear,

The statistics of your airplane crashing are very low. The people who built the airplane you fly on knew what they were doing and probably have been doing it their whole lives, so if there is a mistake it is usually something very small and unlikey, hence why the chances are so low of you ever crashing.

Also not only do the workers (and computers) know what they are doing but the planes are thoroughly inspected from tail to nose multiple times on most Aircraft. I wouldn't worry so much if I were you, long story short the chances of you going down in a ball of flames or crashing into the side of a mountain are quite low.

Loyalty
Loyal Member
Reaction score

The statistics of your airplane crashing are very low. The people who built the airplane you fly on knew what they were doing and probably have been doing it their whole lives, so if there is a mistake it is usually something very small and unlikey, hence why the chances are so low of you ever crashing.

Also not only do the workers (and computers) know what they are doing but the planes are thoroughly inspected from tail to nose multiple times on most Aircraft. I wouldn't worry so much if I were you, long story short the chances of you going down in a ball of flames or crashing into the side of a mountain are quite low.

Well not unless if you're from Malaysia like me :l My country is paranoid about flying due to MH370 that went missing without a trail and MH17 being shot down in Ulkraine

Reaction score
I've flown many times, I find it helpful to get the seat where the wing is because I can't see what's below me, When I get up into the heights I get sick to my stomach, and become very nervous and shaky, I have never gotten over it, and wouldn't know how to either, only with sitting at the window where you can't see what's below you.

Reaction score
Just remember, the first 3 seconds of lifting off the ground and the last 10 seconds of flying/landing are the most dangerous! If you survive these then *you've pretty much made it.

*cannot be guaranteed if flying over Ukraine/Russia or any Islamic State-occupied countries.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just look for some 1 who is also afraid of flying (mainly your GF/BF) and try to act like you are not afraid just to calm him/her down :> *lie to your self*
Then you will believe that lie and you won't be as frightened as you used to be.

That's how I got over my fear ._.
In fact , I met my girlfriend on the plane to turkey lol.

PS : since this isn't your first flight I advise you sit near the window if you get the chance to.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Yeah the statistics are always in your favour and I get that, I get them thrown at us all the time in work. Ironic as it seems I work as an engineer within a manufacturing plant of aero-engines. I know that we produce engine components to within microns of tolerances. There's so much legislation and standards that bind us to produce over engineered engines which barely ever fail.

But regardless of that it happens and it happens randomly and without indication at times and if it happens at the wrong time, you're done. I just cannot get over that. The worst part like most of you have voiced is taking off, that in itself is terrifying, but once the plan has reach cruising altitude and the engines reach resonance frequency I always think they're shut off and we're going down.

Any of you guys suggesting sleeping tablets know what brands work best? None have ever seemed to have worked

Back