Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MS2 Server Files/Emulator/Source Code

Dragonica Guy
Reaction score
Now that Maplestory 2 announced its depatrment a few minutes ago, is there anyone out there who has/know/is working on some files/Emulator/Source code for this game, so that people could make local servers/server with friends and such, and actually play this game again?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I second this. This game meant so much to many of us, and there are a significant amount of us who still want to play the game. Hopefully someone has some knowledge on this and/or some files to get things started. I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled to try and aggregate data together in hopes we'll be able to resurrect this game.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that, the server back-end is still required to make this run (lobby, channels, etc). A lot of this is beyond me, I'm more of a power user, with minimal programming knowledge, so as much as I'd love to be like "let me pick this up and help relaunch MS2" I fear my skill set isn't really entirely there lol.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Regarding GMS2, a Server Emulation is actually in the works by Eric himself.

The only problem is, it's only been done by 1 developer and no one else has been interested in developing with him. This leads to lack of motivation to progress further. However, given the circumstances regarding the shutdown of the GMS2 server, I am interested in spreading the word out for anyone who is interested in either preserving the game itself or if anyone wants to help aid with coding.

If you're not good at coding:
What you should do is record everything in GMS2. That includes NPC Dialog, Quests Descriptions, Field Events, Minigames (OX Quizs) and such. The major factor in the GMS2 server emulation is that the server backend coding and packet opcodes are pretty much documented already (just needs implemtnation). Knowing this, all that's left to do is to perform the front end aspect of things, which are NPCs, quests, events, all of those needs to be recreated by hand which is a community effort. Sounds hard but if everyone can do it, it will help elevate the project.

Alternatively , if you are good at setting up networking. There's a GMS2 packet sniffer called MapleShark2, It's on github. Compile it, set it up, dump all the packets during gameplay and hand it here.

EDIT: I've been told that if you are going to sniff packets, it is Highly recommended to packet sniff/dump on all maps for all NPC and mob spawns.

If you are good at coding AND interested:

Server Source : Java (medium priority, opcodes are documented and structured, just requires logic implementation.)
Server Scripted Events : JavaScript (high priority)
Client LEN : C++ (ASM knowledge preferred but not needed, low priority)

That's all you need to know, Speak to @Eric if you are interested.
I am not involved in this project in any way

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
What's the safest/best way to try and "get the word out" without trying to drag too much attention? I assume if we make too much noise, there's a risk to getting a Cease and Desist notification from Nexon themselves? So things like...posting...in the official discord, may be a bad idea right? Or even on Reddit? I'll be more than happy to try and pass the message along, and see how many others are legit interested in trying to preserve this game. Please let me know your thoughts and I'll see what I can do from my end.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have a rough draft prepared and I am currently working to see if I will be allowed to post it on the GMS2 reddit with the moderators at discord.

As for other ways to spread out, there really is none except here for now.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a really active (ok, maybe not since the announcement) MS2 player who also has an extensive amount of development/design experience and would love to work on this project. I can be reached at Maygi#4987 for more infos :3

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Also worth pointing out that KMS2 is still going to be staying up and the game is functionally extremly similar to GMS2 client

Back