Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] How to host an I25 Server COX

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
COX I25 SCORE SERVER SETUP TUTORIAL

NOTE FOR ALL:

THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR I25 SCORE SERVERS!
IN PARTS IT IS SIMILAR FOR I24 BUT IF YOU
WANT AN I24 JUST CHECK THAT TUTORIALS,
THIS IS JUST A VERY BASIC ONE TO RUN
I25 SCORE SERVERS!

First of all... Why this is called COX? Becouse it can be shortened a lot of ways, COH,COV,COR Becouse of the expansion packs so the X in the COX can be replaced by any letter.

In this tutorial i am largely basing on Ouroboros's project webpage tutorials. THIS IS FOR I25! NOT FOR I24! Thanks for them the main tutorial. I even copied some parts, so thanks again for them.

0. Prequisites.

- SQL Server
- I used 2017 but preferably will suffice almost any of them i think.
- Windows Based operating system.
- At least 6-8 GB ram if you planning to host for more people than 10...
- I recommend a Navicat if you get one.

1. Installation.

A.
Install SQL Server 2017. Choose basic installation with SSMS(SQL Manager Suite) with a mixed authentication you will need an account and a password for setup.

B. Extract your I25 Binaries to C:\COH

C.Go to: C:\CoH\data\server\db Here, you will need to edit few files:

- auction_server.cfg
- account_server.cfg
- chat_server.cfg
- servers.cfg

In theese files change all IP adresses to 127.0.0.1 or change them to your machine's id(DO NOT TRY AT THIS POINT AN INTERNET OPEN SERVER, BECOUSE IT WILL BE AN OTHER TUTORIAL, IT WONT WORK WITH PUBLIC IP IN THIS TUTORIAL!!)

And all of theese lines change password, and hostname/username(by default it is sa = superadmin the main user):

SqlLogin "DRIVER={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};Server=YOURSERVER\NAME;Uid=sa;Pwd=YOURPASSWORDHERE;"

D. Extract the dbschema.rar found in C:\CoH\dbschema.rar

E. Open up SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS which you installed in the first step). Hit Connect on the screen that pops up to and connect with windows authentication.

F. We need to enable the sa login so that server can login to the database. If you look to the left panel you will see the object explorer and your connection. Right click it and select properties.

F.1 When this window comes up hit Security to the left and enable "sql server and windows authentication". Then click ok.

F.2 In the same panel you used before navigate to Security -> Logins then right click and enter properties the sa user.

F.3 In this window set the password to the same password you set back at step 4

F.4 Choose Status from the left panel in this same window and set login to enabled and hit ok.

F.5 Right click the connection in the object explorer again and click Restart.

G. Click File, Select Open, navigate back to C:\CoH, open the dbschema folder, and select cohauc.sql in SQL Server Management Studio.You will see these 2 lines at the top of the file opened

( NAME = N'cohauc', FILENAME = N'C:\mssql\MSSQL11.SCORE\MSSQL\DATA\cohauc.mdf' , SIZE = 157440KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )

( NAME = N'cohauc_log', FILENAME = N'C:\mssql\MSSQL11.SCORE\MSSQL\DATA\cohauc_log.ldf' , SIZE = 353216KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 10%)

What you want to do is set the first part of these directory listings to where your SQL Server is located for example, I set my to D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL because that is where my SQL Server is.

So my would become:

( NAME = N'cohauc', FILENAME = N'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\cohauc.mdf' , SIZE = 157440KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )

( NAME = N'cohauc_log', FILENAME = N'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\cohauc_log.ldf' , SIZE = 353216KB , MAXSIZE = 2048GB , FILEGROWTH = 10%)

H. Once done click the Execute button. And do this again for both the cohauth and cohchat.

I. ODBC CONNECTIONS
Open up ODBC Data Sources (32-bit).

Type 'ODBC' in Windows search, or run directly from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Do NOT use 64-bit!

Click File DSN then click add to the right.

Choose ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server. Click Next.

Enter AuthDB into the box and hit next then finish.
It will then say something like ‘Which SQL Server would you like to connect to?’

Type localhost\SQLEXPRESS(Or whatever is your Database server name) and hit next.

Choose with SQL Auth enter sa into username and the password you use previously.

Tick choose change default database to and select cohauth and hit next.

After this hit finish then ‘Test Data source’ this will test the auth database connection to your main database if it successful congrats :D. Once you have done that you can now start up your server.
J. Navigate back to C:\CoH and create a bat file to start your server.

@echo off
echo Starting Auth Server
START C:\coh\bin\authserver.exe
TIMEOUT 2
echo Starting DB Server
START C:\coh\bin\dbserver.exe -zonelaunchers 1
TIMEOUT 2
echo Starting Launcher Server
START C:\coh\bin\launcher64.exe -noversioncheck
TIMEOUT 2
echo Everything should be launched! Go enjoy COH.
TIMEOUT 10

K. Go to your City of Heroes folder and make a shortcut of score.exe. OR LAUNCH LAUNCH.EXE if you got the files from the big torrent around ragezone!
Add the string below to the shortcut if playing locally on the hosting machine.

score.exe -patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 127.0.0.1 -noversioncheck -console

Add the string below to the shortcut if playing over the network. Note you'll need the hosting machines IP for this. (CMD -> IPConfig)

score.exe -patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth <HOSTIPADDRESS> -noversioncheck -console
Note: If you use the client in the ragezone main torrent, you can use the Launcher.exe what i attached into the I25 client folder. You can setup theese parameters in a gui.

L. Port Forwarding

TCP ports: 11228
UDP ports: 18717 to 18917

M. How to Create an account.

There is a lots of tools for now to do this in the main torrent file; but by basic, you can only create accounts in SQL queries. BUT there is a tool for that in the sources, and/or you can host a creator script from the torrent sources provided around here.

So we stick with the simplyest method, go to this page:

Type in everything, the ID if you dont have any account yet will be 1.

Click generate you will get a thing like this:

INSERT INTO cohauth.dbo.user_account (account, uid, forum_id, pay_stat) VALUES ('test', 1, 1, 1014);

INSERT INTO cohauth.dbo.user_auth (account, password, salt, hash_type) VALUES ('test', CONVERT(BINARY(128),'46ffce3efcfe83bfa205b076d7c2084b9dcf04cdb26f9019103cde29779d26a85216b2c0f43ba1a8fb9b7fa22f05a949bf4edc314af27629e8fc23014e77a24d'), 0, 1);

INSERT INTO cohauth.dbo.user_data (uid, user_data) VALUES (1, 0x0080C2E000D00B0C000000000CB40058);

INSERT INTO cohauth.dbo.user_server_group (uid, server_group_id) VALUES (1, 1);

Execute this as an SQL query in SMSS or Nvicat, and you can login with user test and password as password. But you can generate anything else, this page source is in the main resource files.

N. Start Server, Login and Play.

O. ADDON TUTORIAL: How to start ALL maps at once!

By default
the server only fires up the map servers if they are needed by the players. It is relatively fast solution; but you might wanna do a bit wider range server for more people on it so this method is bad... There is a solution almost on any machine! :D
Please aknowledge that that this is needs a heck of a lot rams,(32GB at least) but if you dont have that much you can still use pagefile for replacement! It is slower but the server itself utilises the pagefiles by basic, so... In windows you need to create a 40+ GB pagefile to a fast drive(7200 RPM or SSD recommended) and start the server by editing the bat file you start the server with:

Search in your bat file the line:

START C:\coh\bin\dbserver.exe -zonelaunchers 1

And change it to:

START C:\coh\bin\dbserver.exe -zonelaunchers 1 -startall

It will boot up all city maps. (Note that the mission maps will stil lload on the fly, no matter what thats why you need a 40-50 GB pagefile.)

The booting in this case; is a long process(it loads up around 48 maps, they are however misnumbered, when you done the server will show that there is numbered 84-85 servers, but it is only around 48...) if you dont have around 32 GB physical ram in your server, but it will be done about in 5-8 minutes depending your drive speed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi is there any way you can post a link to the tutorial of running a public i25 server?

*Edit* NEVERMIND I FOUND IT !

COX I25 SCORE SERVER SETUP TUTORIAL

NOTE FOR ALL:

THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR I25 SCORE SERVERS!
IN PARTS IT IS SIMILAR FOR I24 BUT IF YOU
WANT AN I24 JUST CHECK THAT TUTORIALS,
THIS IS JUST A VERY BASIC ONE TO RUN
I25 SCORE SERVERS!

First of all... Why this is called COX? Becouse it can be shortened a lot of ways, COH,COV,COR Becouse of the expansion packs so the X in the COX can be replaced by any letter.

In this tutorial i am largely basing on Ouroboros's project webpage tutorials. THIS IS FOR I25! NOT FOR I24! Thanks for them the main tutorial. I even copied some parts, so thanks again for them.

0. Prequisites.

1. Installation.

A.
Install SQL Server 2017. Choose basic installation with SSMS(SQL Manager Suite) with a mixed authentication you will need an account and a password for setup.

B. Extract your I25 Binaries to C:\COH

C.Go to: C:\CoH\data\server\db Here, you will need to edit few files:

In theese files change all IP adresses to 127.0.0.1 or change them to your machine's id(DO NOT TRY AT THIS POINT AN INTERNET OPEN SERVER, BECOUSE IT WILL BE AN OTHER TUTORIAL, IT WONT WORK WITH PUBLIC IP IN THIS TUTORIAL!!)

And all of theese lines change password, and hostname/username(by default it is sa = superadmin the main user):

D. Extract the dbschema.rar found in C:\CoH\dbschema.rar

E. Open up SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS which you installed in the first step). Hit Connect on the screen that pops up to and connect with windows authentication.

F. We need to enable the sa login so that server can login to the database. If you look to the left panel you will see the object explorer and your connection. Right click it and select properties.

F.1 When this window comes up hit Security to the left and enable "sql server and windows authentication". Then click ok.

F.2 In the same panel you used before navigate to Security -> Logins then right click and enter properties the sa user.

F.3 In this window set the password to the same password you set back at step 4

F.4 Choose Status from the left panel in this same window and set login to enabled and hit ok.

F.5 Right click the connection in the object explorer again and click Restart.

G. Click File, Select Open, navigate back to C:\CoH, open the dbschema folder, and select cohauc.sql in SQL Server Management Studio.You will see these 2 lines at the top of the file opened

What you want to do is set the first part of these directory listings to where your SQL Server is located for example, I set my to D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL because that is where my SQL Server is.

So my would become:

H. Once done click the Execute button. And do this again for both the cohauth and cohchat.

I. ODBC CONNECTIONS

J. Navigate back to C:\CoH and create a bat file to start your server.

K. Go to your City of Heroes folder and make a shortcut of score.exe. OR LAUNCH LAUNCH.EXE if you got the files from the big torrent around ragezone!
Add the string below to the shortcut if playing locally on the hosting machine.

Add the string below to the shortcut if playing over the network. Note you'll need the hosting machines IP for this. (CMD -> IPConfig)

Note: If you use the client in the ragezone main torrent, you can use the Launcher.exe what i attached into the I25 client folder. You can setup theese parameters in a gui.

L. Port Forwarding

TCP ports: 11228
UDP ports: 18717 to 18917

M. How to Create an account.

There is a lots of tools for now to do this in the main torrent file; but by basic, you can only create accounts in SQL queries. BUT there is a tool for that in the sources, and/or you can host a creator script from the torrent sources provided around here.

So we stick with the simplyest method, go to this page:

Type in everything, the ID if you dont have any account yet will be 1.

Click generate you will get a thing like this:

Execute this as an SQL query in SMSS or Nvicat, and you can login with user test and password as password. But you can generate anything else, this page source is in the main resource files.

N. Start Server, Login and Play.

O. ADDON TUTORIAL: How to start ALL maps at once!

By default
the server only fires up the map servers if they are needed by the players. It is relatively fast solution; but you might wanna do a bit wider range server for more people on it so this method is bad... There is a solution almost on any machine! :D
Please aknowledge that that this is needs a heck of a lot rams,(32GB at least) but if you dont have that much you can still use pagefile for replacement! It is slower but the server itself utilises the pagefiles by basic, so... In windows you need to create a 40+ GB pagefile to a fast drive(7200 RPM or SSD recommended) and start the server by editing the bat file you start the server with:

It will boot up all city maps. (Note that the mission maps will stil lload on the fly, no matter what thats why you need a 40-50 GB pagefile.)

The booting in this case; is a long process(it loads up around 48 maps, they are however misnumbered, when you done the server will show that there is numbered 84-85 servers, but it is only around 48...) if you dont have around 32 GB physical ram in your server, but it will be done about in 5-8 minutes depending your drive speed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back