Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GPU Upgrade from an APU

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to upgrade to a GPU because at the moment i'm only using the onboard graphics that came with the PC i got, i have no idea what i need to be looking for as it's all quite confusing...

My budget is around £80 - £130 max

Current Spec:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Case : Vantage Blue Midi Tower Case + 4 120mm Fans
Power Supply : 500 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
Motherboard : Gigabyte F2A78M-D3H (HDMI support)
CPU : AMD FM2 A8 6600K APU Quad Core CPU 3.9Ghz (turbo 4.2Ghz)
Hard Drive : 1TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive
Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Branded Memory
Graphics : Radeon 8570D APU Onboard

The whole thing cost £280 and that's why it's quite crappy really, any help will be appreciated and if you need to know any more info just ask.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You have two decent cards to choose from on the upper end of your pricing, the lower end puts you into a grey territory of a not so high value/performance ratio on modern games.

AMD R9 280x and Nvidia 760 GTX

Both cards clock in at the same benchmarks, due to preference, I would take the 760 GTX.. but that is mainly because I prefer the 760 over the 280x.

The 760 GTX has a MUCH higher price/performance rating.. one of the highest among almost all cards out currently.

MSI 760GTX

R9 280x

And a lower priced 760GTX from ASUS that fits right on the top of your budget.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Either of these will be a vast improvement over any integrated GPU:

(Which is the better of the 2)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i think i'll go for the R9 270x for now since it's only going to be a temp upgrade until i end up getting a better card :D

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was just about to order the card until I opened up my pc case to check the PSU and it's a generic-non branded 500W (ATX-500b) with no stickers or info on it and the AMD R9 270x requires 2x 6-pin molex connectors (but the card comes with 2 four pin to six pin adapters... so 2x 4-pin connectors do).

​is near enough like mine at the moment,

Now, I need help picking out a PSU that can support the GPU I want to buy in the previous comments.
A 500w one would be ideal if there is one, cheap as possible aswell please since this is already costing me quite alot. :p:

EDIT: just checked PCPartPicker website and saw this (I googled it for the details) and it's only £29.99 on AMAZON, would you guys recommend it since it has everything I need?

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I had this CoolMax PSU for 4 years before it went out due to my mess up....probably still have a few years left in it. It's a good deal for a reliable product.

But they are pretty much all the same...that Cooler Master would be sufficient too :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, just ordered card and i'll be ordering the PSU sometime this week :D

Back