Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Intel Computer Builds for 2016

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I thought I'd just throw together a few builds which will help you to get started (or upgrade) as a PC gamer. The aim of this list is to allow future upgrading easier as well as use some of the latest GPUs available and other hardware. There's a couple of notes just below so please be sure to read them.

If you're completely brand new to PC's and want to go even cheaper than what's provided in this thread, Monolith has a decent AMD build here which has room for upgrades in the AMD path: http://forum.ragezone.com/f116/450-gamers-build-1056558/

Notes
  • These builds will be using only Intel-based CPUs since, in my opinion, AMD CPUs are not up to today's standards. Once Zen comes out I'll make Zen-specific builds as well.
  • These builds will be using only SSDs but it's up to you whether you want to throw in a HDD or replace the SSD entirely with a HDD.
  • I will not be including cases with the builds, this is purely hardware.
  • Following on the 3rd note, I will also not include and peripherals, monitors, fan controllers, etc. in the builds.
  • All pricing will be from PCPartPicker and in GBP (£), as of 25-02-2016. Prices may vary.
  • No Operating system will be included.
  • I won't be using Skylake (Intel's latest architecture) since the prices are ridiculous for minimal performance gains.

The Builds

CPU: i3-4170 @ 3.70GHz (2 Cores, 4 Threads)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
GPU: MSI R7 370 4G
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze
Storage: Crucial BX200 (240GB)

Price: £450.29
PCPartPicker:

Notes
  • I'm aware the PSU is overkill but it leaves more upgrading headroom.
  • The CPU Cooler is also overkill however that also leaves upgrading headroom, it's also a very good cooler which holds its own against AIO Coolers.

CPU: i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz (4 Cores, 4 Threads)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
GPU: MSI R9 380 4G
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze
Storage: Crucial BX200 (240GB)

Price: £560.81
PCPartPicker:

Notes
  • I chose the R9 380 over the GTX 960 since in general it performs better however you are sacrificing power efficiency since the GTX 960 uses less power.
  • Sticking with the Hyper 212 EVO for now since it's a brilliant cooler.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz (4 Cores, 4 Threads)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
GPU: MSI R9 390 8G
PSU: EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series (480GB)

Price: £796.77
PCPartPicker:

Notes
  • I'm still leaving the Hyper 212 EVO in since you can get some mild overclocking with it for the i5-4690K.
  • You could throw in an AIO liquid cooler if you want to push the CPU over 4.40GHz. (NZXT Kraken X61 is excellent)
  • Changed the CPU to the i5-4690K since its an excellent overclocker and runs pretty much every game you throw at it over High settings. Don't expect heavy multi-tasking while gaming though.
  • Changed the PSU to the EVGA 600B just to allow for some overclocking.
  • I went with the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 since from my overclocking experience the motherboard is wonderful can handle pretty much any OC you throw at it.
  • Switched up the R9 380 for an R9 390 since its literally one of the best GPUs around for that price point. It also has 8GB VRAM so that's more than enough for the latest games.
  • I also added an extra 8GB RAM but went with Kingston HyperX Fury Blacks, overclocking is good and it fits the colour scheme. :):

CPU: i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz (4 Cores, 8 Threads)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G
PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold (Fully Modular)
Storage: SanDisk Ultra II (960GB)

Price: £1378.08
PCPartPicker:

Notes

• I threw in an i7-4790K since it is an excellent multi-tasker (even while gaming) and it's a great overclocking CPU.
  • I changed the CPU Cooler to an NZXT Kraken X61 from the start since when compared to the i5-4690K it runs a little bit hotter while overclocking. You could stick with the Hyper 212 EVO and be fine with a small overclock.
  • Still haven't changed the RAM from 16GB DDR3-1866 since 16GB is basically the sweet spot at the moment for multi tasking while gaming.
  • MSI 980 Ti 6GB for the 6GB VRAM and it beats a Titan X with a small overclock. On top of that you don't really see a game where the 980 Ti can't put the settings on Ultra.
  • Changed the SSD to a SanDisk Ultra II (960GB) since the latest games are getting a lot bigger in file size and you will want to run the latest games with this build. Just because you can.
  • Changed the PSU to an EVGA 850W 80+ Gold. This time it's fully modular so it should help with cable management. You could also use this PSU on the previous build with the i5-4690K and be perfectly fine.

CPU: i7-5820K @ 4.00GHz (6 Cores, 12 Threads)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series (2x8GB) DDR4-2400
GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G
PSU: Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum (Fully Modular)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(1TB)

Price: £1638.86
PCPartPicker:

Notes
  • I threw in an i7-5820K since it has 6 Cores and it's a great overclocker.
  • Sticking with the NZXT Kraken X61, that 280mm radiator can handles pretty much anything.
  • I chose Gigabyte for the X99 platform build since they usually handle their warranties / RMAs well and use great components for their products.
  • I used a DDR4 RAM this time since it's needed for the X99 platform. Still sticking with 16GB for now.
  • No need to upgrade the 980 Ti yet.
  • I changed the SSD to a Samsung SSD since they are some of the fastest and most reliable SSDs around.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 3.00GHz (8 Cores, 16 Threads)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x16GB) DDR4-3000
GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G (x2)
PSU: Corsair AX1200W 80+ Platinum (Fully Modular)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO (1TB) x2

Price: £3145.29
PCPartPicker:

Notes
  • i7-5960X overclocks great and those 8 Cores will help with everything you're doing.
  • This build is purely for bragging rights and it will literally handle everything you throw at it, no matter what it is.
  • Two 980 Ti's, bragging rights and performance is great. Depends on SLI Profiles and the application(s).
  • Two Samsung 850 EVO's for 2TB of storage. You can RAID these if you want.
  • 1200W PSU (80+ Platinum) to handle this beast. Even then this PSU is overkill.
  • I'd recommend you liquid cool this entire build to make it look fancy. Other than that you're fine with the NZXT Kraken X61 only.

Feel free to make modifications and discuss the builds amongst yourselves. :):

Back