Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Should i upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Aero is the main source why vista PC's are slow. the theme is a CPU hogger.

I have aero on my desktop PC; its very nice.

Worth it too, if your laptop will handle it. I advise you to use the vista upgrade advisor ;p

Aero is more of a GPU hog than CPU.

The main problem is all the background services Vista runs.

Reaction score
Yes there is a tiny vista but it is extremely basic. You only want Vista for the Aero theme, i highly doubt the tiny Vista has it, and keep in mind it is also missing many features of regular Vista, hence why it is tiny.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Microsoft Windows 7 is comming out soon.
Looks much better than vista.

I mean, think about it? Whats different in vista than XP?

The layout is the same, they operate in the same sort of way..

think about it :p

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
well someone could argue with you about vista and XP
some may say that vista is safer and more user-friendly, but XP is for performance.
I don't upgrade to vista not because of the games, but because of the performance.
However there is one big problem with XP 32 bit: the RAM limit. I hate it! I have 4 GB of Ram, but XP shows that I have only 2 GB of Ram available, and that kind of sucks, and there is only one solution: upgrade to XP 64 bit.

It's up to you, but my recommendation is: stick with yjlasher22 advice.

well that's a problem that's not about the xp
windows 32 bit with 4gb ram should show 3.25gb ram

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Because they're both WINDOWS.

Whats different from Windows 95 to 98?

Windows 98 to 2000?

Windows 2000 to ME?

All windows architectures are the same, If anything Windows NT and Windows Vista are the biggest Architecture changes I've seen in any windows version.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Because they're both WINDOWS.

Whats different from Windows 95 to 98?

Windows 98 to 2000?

Windows 2000 to ME?

All windows architectures are the same, If anything Windows NT and Windows Vista are the biggest Architecture changes I've seen in any windows version.

Exactly my point, theres not alot different...

Windows 7 is the only version of Windows that ive seen that doesnt use the same sort of layout.

Theres alot more aero used in Windows 7 than vista :)

TheAJ - Should i upgrade? - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
Meh

Ok, what if i wanted to get the areo theme, except not transparent, just White but on the authentic vista.

Would that speed things up ( a little? )

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I took some screenshots for you

You can use the 'Colour Intensity' bar to change the colour gradiant etc.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
full transformation as in areo windows and poop everthing exact as vista

Also, my dad's friend told me he can over cloak my computer to maybe 2.5 GHz - 2.55 GHz

But i have to pay for the heatsinker, should i do it?

Well I have vista and I'm just fine, I just took some of the stuff I needed from windows.old and then deleted it and made room. The only lag I have is like moving through files like in C: which is barely. Anyways I would go for it well I already did lol anyways good luck.

No, absolutely not.

You NEVER overclock a laptop, they will produce so much heat the laptop itself can actually melt, i have seen it happen. Because of their small size any heat increases are huge cos laptops generally already overheat regularly as it is. Not to mention that the heatsinks on a laptop are not big enough to actually dissipate that amount of heat.

Exactly what I was gonna say cause I opened my laptop the other day and I was like the fcuk? My processor is being cooled by that piece of crap fan also that the fan is either always covered if you have it on your lap UNLESS you keep it at an angle which is weird also it gets some air on like wood because of the 4 rubber stands but not a lot. Anyways again good luck.

Meh

Ok, what if i wanted to get the areo theme, except not transparent, just White but on the authentic vista.

Would that speed things up ( a little? )

Hm I don't think so depends if you put the transparency on to the max. If you keep it at the minimum then I believe your good.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Yea you all whining that vista is crap and all thou some of you never even tryd it (brettly sure about it) nad others just got ganked because of their slowass PC's that couldnt run it properly. Sure when it came out it was bugged and not suitable with lot of programs, but look at the time passed. There are all drivers for vista now, so many updates and so on. Its a great OP system now if you have a ressource to run it and if you do, its a lot faster than XP cause XP cant use harware as good as vista can do it. And for all af you XP lovers, now start reminding, what was it like when XP came out ..... daaamn, just like vista.

- PhOeNiX~

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yea you all whining that vista is crap and all thou some of you never even tryd it (brettly sure about it) nad others just got ganked because of their slowass PC's that couldnt run it properly. Sure when it came out it was bugged and not suitable with lot of programs, but look at the time passed. There are all drivers for vista now, so many updates and so on. Its a great OP system now if you have a ressource to run it and if you do, its a lot faster than XP cause XP cant use harware as good as vista can do it. And for all af you XP lovers, now start reminding, what was it like when XP came out ..... daaamn, just like vista.

- PhOeNiX~

This coming from the kid who never posted any useful information since he started posting in the hardware section.

I remember NoPeace had to correct you all the time because you pilled information out of your butt.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score

Vista uses a new core, so yes, it's fundamentely different. But user interface hasn't changed much. That might be because the one we have now is so effective? I don't care how fancy it looks as long as it gets the job done properly.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I don't find any bugs in Vista so far other that the games USED to be incompatible but now most of them are. But I've had vista for 2 months now and I'm still fine running fast I can play games just fine.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So can anybody tell me?

If i don't use areo, will my laptop with vista be at "ok" speed?

I say use aero I'm stuck with a crappy laptop and I'm really fine with aero no lag what'so'ever. But it's up to you I did it mindlessly and it came out perfect.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Upgrading to vista is the worst thing you could do.

If i could change the kind of computer i got i would've stuck with XP, i've had vista for a year and it sucks badly.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Upgrading to vista is the worst thing you could do.

If i could change the kind of computer i got i would've stuck with XP, i've had vista for a year and it sucks badly.

Well then just get a XP CD there like um I don't know, 20$? Also I love Vista it's nice,fast,easy to use for me. I also love how it looks but the only thing I hate about it is that installing it takes 8-10Gigs.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you don't use Aero, there won't be a huge change in the speed of your laptop.

When I play high spec games like Crysis, I switch to the Windows Vista Basic theme, just to be on the safe side.

If you don't want Aero, but still wan't to upgrade, then go for the Windows Vista Home Basic package.

None the less, Home Premium (which I have) suites all your media needs. Its well worth the price, and Aero is fantastic.

can someone tell me do you need to upgrade to the Windows Vista 64bit CD to use all 4GB? Because I have 4GB installed on my PC; but vista only see's 3.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
If you don't use Aero, there won't be a huge change in the speed of your laptop.

When I play high spec games like Crysis, I switch to the Windows Vista Basic theme, just to be on the safe side.

If you don't want Aero, but still wan't to upgrade, then go for the Windows Vista Home Basic package.

None the less, Home Premium (which I have) suites all your media needs. Its well worth the price, and Aero is fantastic.

can someone tell me do you need to upgrade to the Windows Vista 64bit CD to use all 4GB? Because I have 4GB installed on my PC; but vista only see's 3.

Exactly but I recommend turning off the sidebar cause that's a lot of ram and CPU.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly but I recommend turning off the sidebar cause that's a lot of ram and CPU.

Ive recently started doing that, and noticed that the game doesn't crash half way through :)

It also seems that its the Multiplayer feature on the game that just crashs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back