Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Console Servers (Retro Gaming) Guide?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the correct thread, I can usually find what I need here, but this topic seems to be a little unique.

lately I have been seeing sites with retro games, nes,snes, gba and the like, you can play in your browser - pretty slick. I would like to know more about how that is done - especially with large consoles like ps1,2 etc..

Is there a section on RZ that talks about that, or has a few guides how this is accomplished?

Thank you for checking into it.

cheers!!

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
hey Lewis thanks for bringing this to my attention, 5even there isn't a section thanks for asking. But Gaming Hotspot does seem like the most suitable place as this section generally covers all non-MMO gaming.
Joorren any thoughts?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
OK thanks for the update.. I been here a long time, rarely do I see replies i that manner.

So what I am trying to do these days, is checking out the sites that are using java script and check out the source and see what makes it tick and see if i can come up with something..

I was hoping there was a section here where there was already a working tutorial. however since there is not.. I'll play around with the other sites and see what I can come up with :-D

thanks for the quick update

cheers!

OK, here is what I came up with from many sites (note there is another site that is using a JS emulator, will be looking into that one later.

Apparently the NeptuneJS Online, is dealing with the flash issue that browsers are killing, and using their own engine (I think), for me anyways, there is a massive lag issue. so maybe someone can shoot me some suggestions. I was able to put together a basic WORKING page that allows you to play roms right in your browser

Code:
<html>
<head>
<script src="js/jquery.min.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
GBA TEST
<div id="game_stage">

</div>
<script>

var NepPlayer = "#game_stage";     
	// ID of html element where emulator will be inserted

var NepEmu = "gba";         
	// Platform select

var NepLang = "en";							
	// Interface language of emulator. EN by default

var NepZoom = "enable";     
	// Add extra button on toolbar to scale up emulator to 100% width. Disabled by default

var EmuGbaBios = "disable"; 
	// GBA Bios Need for some games. Disabled by default (Use HLE bios)

var NepMaxWidth = "700px"; //960

var neogeoBios = "assets/bios/neogeo.zip";
	// Important !!! Without bios file games will not launche!

var gameUrl = "roms/gba/Final_Fantasy_ 1_2-DawnofSouls.gba"; // Game Url							 

</script>
<!-- <script src="https://mem.neptunjs.com/njs/njsLoader.js" type="text/javascript"></script>-->

<script src="neptune/njsLoader.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</body>
</html>

I did all this locally, in hopes it would speed up (I am using a thinkpad w530 32gb RAM still lags) doesn't.

Here are some BASIC steps to get you started.
Just copy the above (not sure if the jquery is needed, but if your a like me, you will prob use it elsewhere in your page.

This div is needed as this is where the actual console will be placed. Can have any id. Just change it in the script below if you do
Code:
<div id="game_stage">

</div>

Experiment with all the settings listed. I will probably contact them later to find out if there are any other settings that can be added (speed up?)

This is pretty self-explanitory: just make a folder of your website and put all your roms there. I would edit the filename to make sure there are no spaces, otherwise use php to format it.
Code:
var gameUrl = "roms/gba/Final_Fantasy_ 1_2-DawnofSouls.gba"; // Game Url

The folllowing, again, I am trying to make this not lag by copying it locally, but doesn't seem to help. I would just keep it pointing to the original site:
Code:
<!-- <script src="https://mem.neptunjs.com/njs/njsLoader.js" type="text/javascript"></script>-->

<script src="neptune/njsLoader.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Again, this is VERY raw core that I was able to make work.. the rest is up to you to make it pretty :)

cheers..

if anyone can tell me why it lags so bad.. let me know.

Here is the for this type of emulation for browser.. looks promising

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Something else I discovered playing around with other browser games. Since flash is being stiffled in most browsers, there is a firefox fork called PALEMOON. They actually kept the flash in the browser.
So gonna give this a shot again without using the neptune - not sure that will work.. but.. trial and error :)

btw the other games that use flash seem to work really well with palemoon.

Back