Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Delete a file time remaining

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been running into a couple of things regarding some equations lately.

I'm trying to make up an algorithm / formula to calculate time remaining when deleting a file
There's 4 factors
File size, Processor (ghz), Memory and how many tasks running (shown by percentage*)

For starters I tried
(size / (cpu * memory)) / tasks
Though, the number it produced was too low.

* Percentage;
1 task is 100%
2 tasks is 50%
3 tasks is 33.3%
4 tasks is 25%
and for each task, each task would take longer to finish. I have no idea how I would go by doing this.

Thanks in advance, Dominic

Reaction score
What about harddrive usage?
Sorry, unneeded in this equation. This is just a simulation of these four factors. They're supposed to be put into usage in a computer simulation game, at this current stage, HDD is just how space that you have available. Not put into consideration of any kinds of usage

Last edited:
Reaction score
This formula wouldn't be feasible. Some tasks can be prioritized by the system. You can never assume that two file copies are going to move in the same speed. Take in consideration other system factors such as updating etc, which would mess your equation quickly enough.

I'm not exactly sure either if it would work at all. It's not as it processes every byte to delete them, rather just making them unacessible, except if you are moving to a recycle folder or something.

I could be wrong tho, shouting out experts.

Oh just saw last response. Now I understand what you mean.

But again, I wouldn't make it with task amount only. Make each task say the current HD usage, not with percentage though.

Reaction score
This formula wouldn't be feasible. Some tasks can be prioritized by the system. You can never assume that two file copies are going to move in the same speed. Take in consideration other system factors such as updating etc, which would mess your equation quickly enough.

I'm not exactly sure either if it would work at all. It's not as it processes every byte to delete them, rather just making them unacessible, except if you are moving to a recycle folder or something.

I could be wrong tho, shouting out experts.

Oh just saw last response. Now I understand what you mean.

But again, I wouldn't make it with task amount only. Make each task say the current HD usage, not with percentage though.
I just solved this, I did this instead of including four factors:
(size in mb / cpu) * tasks active

Back