Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Emulator MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hello Good evening, I'm studying a lot, tried a lot and have not found many lessons to learn how to emulate an online MMORPG! have some tutorial, something to help? something evident, if possible I even paid someone to teach me

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
gives a general idea.
Just learn how to program and find an existing emulator project here on RZ to see how other people do it.
You will not have much luck finding 'tutorials' on such a topic.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
You don't need a tutorial to learn how to emulate server software. If you can write software, you can make a server. It's all pretty straightforward from there. Start with an MMO game client, reverse the network protocol, make a server. If that doesn't answer your question, put in a few years learning a programming language and a bit of work in network protocols and it will be pretty evident at that point.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't know if you know how to program(if you don't try to learn a programming language), don't try to start with a emulator as your first project, try something simple like a Chat application:
- Make a simple client/server application, then expand it by adding more clients.
- look into communication modes(blocking or non-blocking, suggest looking into Multithreaded and IO Strategies, I would suggest going with IO strategy)
- Create groups of users make them do communication between them(similar how users communicate in the game).
- Try to implement Collective Communication in your application(this is a MPI stuff, but has some good concepts on communications like barrier for synchronizing, , , , ) ( )
- Try to read graphs from data structures to understand the concept( )

While doing this you will not also learn how to build a server, you will also making the core for the emulator(functionality is similar, start from a simple chat application, then expand to your emulator)

In making a Emulator the first thing you need to know is how you change the server IP and PORT from the client to connect to your server(some use a External file either encrypted or plain text, others have hard-coded, some receive it from the launcher that it gets the IP and PORT from the server, etc)

The second step you change IP and PORT back to connect to their server and you create/use a sniffer to sniff the Packets from the Server and Client Packets for you to analyze later and use for your server(Either you use a tool if you know the encryption, or if you don't know try to find the Encryption or make a tool that hooks to the client and gets the packet before encryption)

After you got the packets, you analyze them and see what they do, and implement to your server, while testing them on the client connected to your server(some data on some clients are found on the disk files).

The hardest part is sometimes the client protections that prevents you to analyze(like packers, anti-debuggers, files obfuscated/encrypted, packet encryption, etc).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back