Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Learning C#

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm considering learning C# as I would eventually like to move into XNA game development. Does anybody on here know a suitable site that I could learn the basics of C#?

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Cat in the Hat
Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your used to learn programming but I can only learn by looking at code and practicing. There is no website that can learn you what you can learn yourself. Easiest thing to do is replicate a program you have the source code and understand the syntax.

Or try to make a basic program and at each step just google what you don't know: c# open file into textbox, c# save file.. so on.

Also XNA is obsolote, I'd recommend you to learn using unity engine, , it supports c# scripting and vs development.

Also for some tutorials on modelling and maybe xna and c#.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I learned C# by googling every single thing that I didn't know whenever I hit a problem. Within a week I was coding C# nearly as good as any other language I learned before

also XNA is not obsolete, it's useful to port your apps to windows phone and xbox and pc with the same code

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
XNA is pretty well deprecated, unfortunately. It's still a solid framework, but Microsoft has mostly ceased support.

In any case, the best sources for information regarding C# are technical articles and books about the .NET Framework itself (parallelism, memory management, GC, etc). Everything else you can learn from the MSDN library.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
u guys seems forgetting there are different ways of programming. when i learned c# i did the mistake and simply learned it by watching over other code or checking google for things i want to be done in c#. this was a bad decision. it was on a time i didnt even understand the concept of OOP and the result was horrible code all in one class, the GUI ...

do it right and start off with consoles, search for some c# books that start step by step from the basics and dont rush to see results in a quick way. once u understood the basics of OOP in winforms, u should learn to split of your projects into the three tier model. its the art to split off GUI, business logic, data access logic and domain objects from each other and used to take domain objects from tier to tier via method params and return values.

if u want book suggestions, ask the professionals:
Brian Rasmussen said:
I really like

by Jeffrey Richter because of all the details about how not only C# but also the CLR works. adds a lot of useful info on threading and the new parallel extensions.
by Joe Duffy is very similar to Richters book, so I like it for the same reasons. Unfortunately it is somewhat dated now.
by Jon Skeet is an excellent treatment of all the stuff that the two others do not cover.
The C# language specification (get the book for the annotations). A must read.

To name another good book: by Mark Michaelis. Very thorough. (EDIT updated to new edition)

And . Excellent reference. (EDIT updated to new edition)

Last edited:
WowIwasSuperCringeB4
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MSDN and Google will help you a lot. Remember. When you're searching, look for the specific class or methods you're looking into.

Ecchi addicted
Reaction score
Maybe this one, . Sometimes I read from there and it helps.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Good luck with your learning.

If you know a previous language, I'm sure you will learn C# smoothly.

I think learning PHP has helped with C#, I find that the syntax is quite similar ^^

Thanks for the help guys :)

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
I think learning PHP has helped with C#, I find that the syntax is quite similar ^^

Thanks for the help guys :)

no, i think php is alot of easier and unsafer. first and best example is the type security. also, with visual u already get a strong development environment and .NET is a policeman for luck.
i want to wish u best results and good luck in c# too.

Back