Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[vBulletin] Username Font Size Messes Up

Photoshop Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's my markup code and it works fine with a nice image background and red text:

<span style="color: rgb(186, 1, 1); background-image: url('http://imagelink.gif')">

And then I try adding this:

<span style="color: rgb(186, 1, 1); background-image: url('http://imagelink.gif');font-size:"10px";"> (From my HTML knowledge) and it just fucks up and the usernames for the usergroup disappear, so can somebody add the correct code on to my orginal markup to change font size please. :):

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Remove the " around "10px". You're ending the style attribute with the quotes.

Also, it is handy to use em as a size instead of pixels, that way if you ever change the default body style (adding other skins, etc) it will automatically resize to the new font.

Photoshop Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I did it without the pixels previously. :/

Reaction score
He's talking about the quotations.

Code:
font-size:"10px";
should be
Code:
font-size: 10px;

Here's a quick lesson on quotation marks.

By the way, this goes for EVERY coding language (that I can think of).

When you use quotes in your code, they get paired by the closest ones together.
So, when one's open, the closest one to it will close it.

Code:
[COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]This text is inside one pair of quotations.[COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]

If you use the same type of quotations inside one, it's obviously not going to work as planned.

Code:
[COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]running[COLOR="#FF0000"]"[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR="#FF0000"]"[/COLOR]

As you can see by the highlights, the pairs of quotes are not the ones you planned on.

However, if you use single quotes inside double quotes, or visa versa, it works just as you want it.

Code:
[COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR="#FF0000"]'[/COLOR]running[COLOR="#FF0000"]'[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR="#0000FF"]"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0000FF"]'[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR="#FF0000"]"[/COLOR]running[COLOR="#FF0000"]"[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR="#0000FF"]'[/COLOR]

So although font size doesn't require the value to be in quotes, you seemed to not understand how they worked.

Photoshop Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
He's talking about the quotations.

Code:
font-size:"10px";
should be
Code:
font-size: 10px;

Here's a quick lesson on quotation marks.

By the way, this goes for EVERY coding language (that I can think of).

When you use quotes in your code, they get paired by the closest ones together.
So, when one's open, the closest one to it will close it.

Code:
[COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]This text is inside one pair of quotations.[COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]

If you use the same type of quotations inside one, it's obviously not going to work as planned.

Code:
[COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]running[COLOR=#FF0000]"[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR=#FF0000]"[/COLOR]

As you can see by the highlights, the pairs of quotes are not the ones you planned on.

However, if you use single quotes inside double quotes, or visa versa, it works just as you want it.

Code:
[COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR=#FF0000]'[/COLOR]running[COLOR=#FF0000]'[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR=#0000FF]"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000FF]'[/COLOR]Jim told me he was [COLOR=#FF0000]"[/COLOR]running[COLOR=#FF0000]"[/COLOR] to the bathroom[COLOR=#0000FF]'[/COLOR]

So although font size doesn't require the value to be in quotes, you seemed to not understand how they worked.

I tried that before, it didn't work so I added the quotation marks, I'll retry in a bit but I have a major issue atm on vBulletin. (Posted another thread for it).

Back