Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Vercel/NextJS: How to access serverless functions from frontend during local devel?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
My React/NextJS front end has a Button component that fetches data via a serverless function when the button is clicked. I want to test this functionality during local development with the Vercel dev/CLI tools, as manetioned here I am getting a 404 result when attempting to access my lambda functions. Here are the approximate steps that I’ve gone through so far:

1. Create package.json with a dev script:
    Code:
    "scripts": {
        "dev": "yarn codegen && next --hostname=0.0.0.0 --port=3001",
    }
  2. Link to deployed vercel project
  3. Create vercel.json to specify builds and routes:
    Code:
        [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"builds"[/COLOR]: [
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"*.html"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"use"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"@now/static"[/COLOR] },
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"pages/api/*.py"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"use"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"@now/python"[/COLOR] },
        ],
        [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"routes"[/COLOR]: [
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"/api/validate"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"dest"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"/pages/api/validate.py"[/COLOR] }
        ]
  4. Create my test Lambda function (in python):
    Code:
    [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]from[/B][/COLOR] http.server [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]import[/B][/COLOR] BaseHTTPRequestHandler
    [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]from[/B][/COLOR] datetime [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]import[/B][/COLOR] datetime

[COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]class[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=var(--hljs-literal)][B]handler[/B][/COLOR](BaseHTTPRequestHandler):

[COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]def[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)][B]do_GET[/B][/COLOR](self):
        self.send_response([COLOR=var(--hljs-number)]200[/COLOR])
        self.send_header([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'Content-type'[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'text/plain'[/COLOR])
        self.end_headers()
        self.wfile.write([COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]str[/COLOR](datetime.now().strftime([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'[/COLOR])).encode())
        [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]return[/B][/COLOR]
  5. Create my Button component:
    Code:
        <Button
            variant=[COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"contained"[/COLOR]
            color=[COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"secondary"[/COLOR]
            onClick={() => {
                fetch([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'api/validate'[/COLOR])
                    .then(response => { [COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]console[/COLOR].log(response)
                        response.json() })
                    .then(data => [COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]console[/COLOR].log(data))
            }}
        >
            Generate sample dataset
        </Button>
  6. Run vercel dev
  7. Access website at localhost:3001 (next dev server address)
  8. Click button
Result:
I’m receiving a 404 response
Note: I can access the lambda function from localhost:3000/pages/api/validate.py (vercel dev server address). This appears to manually kickstart the lambda function build and serve process. I thought that it should have been built and served already from the vercel.json specification and be available at localhost:3001/api/validate. This seems to agree with the .
Note 2: Next dev/CLI tools build and serve javascript/typescript files just fine. I’m using python and Go functions as well, which are supported by Vercel dev/CLI but not Next.

Back