• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Vercel/NextJS: How to access serverless functions from frontend during local devel?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
My React/NextJS front end has a Button component that fetches data via a serverless function when the button is clicked. I want to test this functionality during local development with the Vercel dev/CLI tools, as manetioned here I am getting a 404 result when attempting to access my lambda functions. Here are the approximate steps that I’ve gone through so far:

1. Create package.json with a dev script:
    Code:
    "scripts": {
        "dev": "yarn codegen && next --hostname=0.0.0.0 --port=3001",
    }
  2. Link to deployed vercel project
  3. Create vercel.json to specify builds and routes:
    Code:
        [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"builds"[/COLOR]: [
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"*.html"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"use"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"@now/static"[/COLOR] },
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"pages/api/*.py"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"use"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"@now/python"[/COLOR] },
        ],
        [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"routes"[/COLOR]: [
            { [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"src"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"/api/validate"[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"dest"[/COLOR]: [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"/pages/api/validate.py"[/COLOR] }
        ]
  4. Create my test Lambda function (in python):
    Code:
    [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]from[/B][/COLOR] http.server [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]import[/B][/COLOR] BaseHTTPRequestHandler
    [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]from[/B][/COLOR] datetime [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]import[/B][/COLOR] datetime

[COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]class[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=var(--hljs-literal)][B]handler[/B][/COLOR](BaseHTTPRequestHandler):

[COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]def[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)][B]do_GET[/B][/COLOR](self):
        self.send_response([COLOR=var(--hljs-number)]200[/COLOR])
        self.send_header([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'Content-type'[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'text/plain'[/COLOR])
        self.end_headers()
        self.wfile.write([COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]str[/COLOR](datetime.now().strftime([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'[/COLOR])).encode())
        [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)][B]return[/B][/COLOR]
  5. Create my Button component:
    Code:
        <Button
            variant=[COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"contained"[/COLOR]
            color=[COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]"secondary"[/COLOR]
            onClick={() => {
                fetch([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'api/validate'[/COLOR])
                    .then(response => { [COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]console[/COLOR].log(response)
                        response.json() })
                    .then(data => [COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]console[/COLOR].log(data))
            }}
        >
            Generate sample dataset
        </Button>
  6. Run vercel dev
  7. Access website at localhost:3001 (next dev server address)
  8. Click button
Result:
I’m receiving a 404 response
Note: I can access the lambda function from localhost:3000/pages/api/validate.py (vercel dev server address). This appears to manually kickstart the lambda function build and serve process. I thought that it should have been built and served already from the vercel.json specification and be available at localhost:3001/api/validate. This seems to agree with the .
Note 2: Next dev/CLI tools build and serve javascript/typescript files just fine. I’m using python and Go functions as well, which are supported by Vercel dev/CLI but not Next.

Back