Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] MU Classic (0.74 or like that) to Season X (no season 10)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have read some people talking about a specific season or version of MU that they really enjoyed it, now there is some games that release a "classic" version of the game and is updating in the time, to enjoy more the experience of the progression and content.

I want to say, i left MU Online in 0.99b (yeah, about 2005-2006), and after years, i returned in Season 6 and i saw a lot of things (new classes, new master system, pentagrams etc....), maybe i don't enjoy the content at the same if i played it season per season seeing changes and content "fresh" in his release day.

So, i want to talk with mu enjoyers if you think a server that starts in "classic" version (0.74) and every 6 months, is updated, would take your attetion.

I don't know a lot of MU online changelog versions, i only have read about 0.74 was a classic version where only exists BK, SM and ME, and top gear was dragon, legendary and guardian, best weapons chaos, wings lvl1, highend map losttowert etc.....

There is a lot of server files, but maybe is very tedious change files and update databases every time you want update your server between season, so maybe best solution is, take a good server files in "recent" season and cap it (also you will need some client changes, like deleting classes in character creation, equipment slots, etc....)

After that, in the website you will releasing "roadmap" like, what will become in next patch, 0.74 to 0.97 -> Magic Gladiator, Tarkan, Wings S2, Max lvl 400 etc.....

Maybe is a lot of work, but sounds interesting IMO, i don't know some project similar like this (i didn't see it).

If you like specific season/version maybe don't like this, but if you want play MU like in his beginning, and seeing how the game is updating and experimenting this, maybe like you

What do you think?

P.D: Sorry for my english if i'm not explained well xD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Imo, great idea. I toyed around with something like this, but on a much smaller scale - taking 1.0 sever files and stripping all features down to very super basics, then adding them back. I think this would work only if some of webzens poorly designed features are omitted all together. I'd love to play something like that.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah, i did something similar. I took a S12 server, i capped to 0.99b version (items, maps, classes playables, mobs, SD disabled etc.....) but some things still present in the client (SUM,RF and GL), Pentagram Slot, Mu Helper and some things more.

The UI i like it more than 0.99b, looks more clean, so i called this "project" "MU Classic Resurrected" xD

And yes, is a very serious project to do that, a lot of work and you have to be MU lover to do something similar to this.

P.D: If someone will do this in a future, please, WITHOUT RESETS SYSTEM!, breaks the game xD

Reaction score
I had the same idea. It would be nice for the players since tehy would feel actual server progression.
Just start with a s6 or superior version, all events and optional charcaters disabled, including their respective items (just comment the lines in the settings server side so the stuff woudntt drop).
Then it's just a matter of enabling things according to player's progression in the game.
Low exp, decent drop, no reset and you are set for a long term server.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of nostalgia when talking about old Mu versions. I think if you release a server like that , and keep just 7 maps, 3 chars, and 4 item sets/class, people will get bored fast.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can have 123 maps and 55 characters to choose from, kinda what webzen has been doing, and that doesn't make the game more exciting. It's all about balance and challenge/feeling of accomplishment. Somewhere along the way mu lost itself.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
me played even the classic versions and all my servers (for now) are on verison 0.97d but no have a lot of players on it .... all players go to new seasons but i think on them are 90% offtrade/offattack fake players ... old versions is the best i think but its not played!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nowadays most of mu releases are full of crap (bugs,locks,holes) a lot of players likes it because its "shiny". If you dont have a team who works with you it will be dead end. Better take baby steps (take one of lower seasons and stay with one). Its very ambitious overall. Like Dope Boy One said : "but you need some serious budged for advertise and community to build on, otherwise such an idea will be wasted".

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Also i see a lot of players play new seasons
a verry little % players plays 0.97d - olds versions bellow season 1 ....
i think in the new seasons are a lot % of offattack offtrade ....

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.
But there are many problems
1 a version 074 until season 8 there is a lot of protocol change and different files this base file webzen xteam emu etc.

if so you have to work your own code from initial version to versional version (hard work)

it would take you 5 years to get to season 8, i don't think the mu has that many years left to live. i think it is in its final stages.

but I don't know if it's worth doing so much work for a game that webzen lost many years ago. they never dedicated themselves to do something positive to improve the gameplay or strategy of the game to make it at least one of the most popular RPG but it's still a game from 2001.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
The big problem is MU ONline as game is a DEAD :( because in a nowaday the PC gaming as all is a on very different level than before 10 years ... now 50% of the PC Games switch to Consoles .... and when have a lot of real-looking good making games not a lot players play mu online as all .... before 10 years all play me have a server before around 12 years with 150+ new accounts per day and 200 online on version 0.97 ... now its a lot of players missing :( Whe you talk about 0.74 or 0.97d or any lowwer version than season 1 - i can say .... THERE'S NOT A LOT OF PLAYERS IN IT! thats the sad truth ..

Reaction score
The big problem is MU ONline as game is a DEAD :( because in a nowaday the PC gaming as all is a on very different level than before 10 years ... now 50% of the PC Games switch to Consoles .... and when have a lot of real-looking good making games not a lot players play mu online as all .... before 10 years all play me have a server before around 12 years with 150+ new accounts per day and 200 online on version 0.97 ... now its a lot of players missing :( Whe you talk about 0.74 or 0.97d or any lowwer version than season 1 - i can say .... THERE'S NOT A LOT OF PLAYERS IN IT! thats the sad truth ..

Mu Online is not dead, but yes, it's dead for some servers or for some server administrators which are not doing anything for their community or even for their server.

I guess you saying "Mu Online is a dead game" is because you don't have players on your server, right? But, if I was playing on your server, would you develop new in-game modules, systems, new events? I guess not, because it's easier to get something already done by someone else and just copy paste it in your server files than to invest time to develop your own customizations on your server. And yes, not having the possibility of adding new things for the server's community it's actually one of many reasons a server could die.
Having something unique is very important for any server. If you just installed your server and just ran it and left it there running, it's not like you are the only one running the same server files or having the same methods of running a server. A bad server is identified by "What the administrators are doing for the player base and for their server? Nothing. They just ran server files and that's it, they have a server".

The sad truth is not that players are not there, but players think about "What do you have to offer in order to keep players in this community?".
Another sad truth is that server administrators are coming with excuses, like: "The game is dead because no one is playing", but they don't do anything for their server besides copy pasting server files from different forums and saying "Hey, I'm opening a server". That's a dead server from the start imo.

Personally, for me, if I'm joining a server, first I will see what things they've developed and added to their game which are more or less unique and how the gameplay is influenced by these modules or new systems.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
its not the same like before 10-15 years ... not the same from the eagle of view of the - not the same amount of players play MU as all ... a lot of gamers migrate to console gaming ... and search new games ...

Back