Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MUServer and SQL Server separate?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hi all.
I wanted to know if it is true that if the MuServer and the SQL Server are in two different host slows the server.
Currently I have two vps: one has the MuServer with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and the other SQL Server 2008 R2 (Developer Edition) on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Datacenter Edition). Both are in the same datacenter and have the same IP range.

The reason I did this is because the server and the SQL Server together I consume a lot of RAM.

This has consequences?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi ,
the only reason to do this {in my opinion}
its to have kind of more secured server , since the server hosted on 1 vps and the website on another , but it doesn't matter , u need to host website on Linux to make ur web secure and such stuff, but i recommend you to stay with win server 2003 , its most stable for MuOnline Serverfiles ,

well you should test out if it uses more RAM or whether not , since u got the server ready there?
why dont u check on task mngr.

Reaction score
It's a great idea if you can afford 2 dedicated servers. Wish I could! But we need more than 2 to make it work.

IMO the best config would be

VPS - Website
Dedicated1 - SQL
Dedicated2 - MuServer (change useless sata2 for any ssd)

Expensive tho :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's a great idea if you can afford 2 dedicated servers. Wish I could! But we need more than 2 to make it work.

IMO the best config would be

VPS - Website
Dedicated1 - SQL
Dedicated2 - MuServer (change useless sata2 for any ssd)

Expensive tho :p

well if attack dedicated 1
then all down
so no point to waste amount of it to against ddos attack.
Best solution join the dedicate server with ddos protection.

Kingdom of Shadows
Loyal Member
Reaction score
well if attack dedicated 1
then all down
so no point to waste amount of it to against ddos attack.
Best solution join the dedicate server with ddos protection.

SQL dedicated server needs only a private link with muserver dedicated => 100% safe. The only way to access it is via dedicated 2. Almost all datacenters allow you to do this.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
all of you are 50% right and 50% wrong

im using 2 diffrent VPS on two server in the same hosting area.
1 is VPS linux - WEB SITE + FORUM + FTP !
2 is VPS win 2003 - only for the gameservers + MSSQL .

two of then are protected with 10GB cisco firewall + antiddos .
+ country ip filter that blocks the all country if attack is detected.

in total is costing me like a 100$ for month.
the windows server ports are only open for the linux server so he can access mssql database.

Reaction score

the windows server ports are only open for the linux server so he can access mssql database.

what hosting is that? share knowledge :)

Reaction score

Also, how many players are you hosting? I would like to see you host 1000+ on a vps :p (I would like to see 200 on a vps! :p)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You probably mean the MSSQL port is only open for the linux VPS.
If not it would mean that no one could join the server.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Also, how many players are you hosting? I would like to see you host 1000+ on a vps :p (I would like to see 200 on a vps! :p)

its a very strong vps .
500+ online every day .

xDarKyx : yea dude

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
2 or more servers for 100% safe? DDOS protection? "netstat -b"(show main.exe connection), and tell about protection you provider ;) rly - it can protect you only if it LOIC.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I used 2 Servers, One for SQL and WEB, One for GameServer

Each Server have 2 NIC and I used one of NIC for Local connect, (NIC TO NIC) and set the IP for local connect SQL

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi all.
I wanted to know if it is true that if the MuServer and the SQL Server are in two different host slows the server.
Currently I have two vps: one has the MuServer with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and the other SQL Server 2008 R2 (Developer Edition) on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Datacenter Edition). Both are in the same datacenter and have the same IP range.

The reason I did this is because the server and the SQL Server together I consume a lot of RAM.

This has consequences?

Thanks!
That ok.

In mssql server : you only run titanserver( in config file add ip of muserver)
In muserver u only run : bor connect, gamesserver ( config ip of mssql )

Solution for u :
- I have web for muserver it have 2 part ( 1 only run in your server and save all yr information of yr db. 1 run in hosting only a templa)

Solution :
-mssql server : mssql + base server source web
-mu server : bor, gameserrver.
- hosting : client web source ( becare check that hosting ,which can not local hack like shell,....)

If u want to setup. I will do it for u.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't recommend running a server between 2 machines. There will be gaps in network latency & the cost to run both machines will be expensive.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I don't recommend running a server between 2 machines. There will be gaps in network latency & the cost to run both machines will be expensive.

No problem with it,man.
If 2 server in sảme datacenter. The network, which tranfer server to server less 1000mbs (local Lan)

- and if u wanna open 2-3 or 10 muserver, u only need mssql server or 1 database. That is best solution for u

About website:
- the host or yr vps ,which support anti-ddos is very expensive.

U need 1 solution about that.
If u put website in muserver, they ddos yr wweb --> server u die
If u use web with 2 part of wweb, they dont know yr ipserver,... They only ddos in hosting --web die ,yr server is not problem

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey there; having sql and mu on different servers will only slow you down if you have lag between the sql and mu. If they are within the same network it wont matter as the comm. between the 2 wont suffer much. If they are across the web then you may increase the lag.

If you are doing this simply because of more security; then all you have to do is lock down all unused ports put sql on a non-standard port; change mu ports as well. Set your firewall to stop fragmented packets and make sure to keep an eye on fake/malicious packets. Also, monitor your network traffic and dont be afraid to block ip ranges, if you block a few good apples along with a lot of bad apples; the rest of the server population will gain in the end and you will get more traffic.

Back