Any new/good private server that does not contain trojan/virus?

MemberRank
    Jul 2007 Join Date
    8Posts

angry Any new/good private server that does not contain trojan/virus?

As the title says...

I've downloaded at least 10 private servers to play, and all of them contain trojans. Please, don't tell me it is a false positive, any heuristic and zero-day trojan is not false positive.

Any private server without a trojan?

Thanks

MemberRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    139Posts

Re: Any new/good private server that does not contain trojan/virus?

That happens with different encryption tools.

It depends on the tool and the settings.

You should try using different tools with different settings and check the results using virustotal

Perhaps there are some clients with trojan/virus, but most of them have that problem with the tools.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    523Posts

It's a shame that there are so many infected files out there. You probably have to inspect and build the sources yourself, if you want to be sure by 100%.
    For example, I gave up on searching for a clean 0.97d client, because every exe I found contains something according to virustotal

If you want a 100% open source server, you might have a look at my project (link in signature) - it's not feature complete yet, though.
    I also released suitable season 6 client files here, which are 100% clean and not extended by modders.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

OpenMU Project: Blog - GitHub

Quote Originally Posted by pierroth View Post
    As the title says...

I've downloaded at least 10 private servers to play, and all of them contain trojans. Please, don't tell me it is a false positive, any heuristic and zero-day trojan is not false positive.

Any private server without a trojan?

Thanks
    Welcome to the MU World, where 90-95% of the players dont care about the false positive viruses, trust me dude, its mu files.. depends which servers u tried, most of them have something (if those servers are risky, how would ppl still be playing etc..? what are u afraid of) and if there's no virus then it will be rare.

Be sure the trojan is not the client files but the 'launcher,updater or antihack etc' instead, cuz yes false positive still exists, and i dont like it either but if you have experience you know what you dealing with and what to trust or not.

Good luck finding that super clean client of a server though :D

MemberRank
    Aug 2014 Join Date
    MuPlanetLocation
    69Posts

mine doesn't come up as a virus :P

again, it depends on what AV you are using too!
    Enthusiastic Mu Online skinner!

;) We coming back, bigger, stronger and better! watch this space :)

MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    12Posts

It is indeed strange imo the main.exe most servers use could have a potential backdoor.

A clean 97d unpacked main.exe: 1.43 mb in size

The main.exe that most 97d servers use: 4.90 mb in size

Four of the antivirus engines detect it as a Blackhole a popular backdoor malware.

True MemberRank
    Oct 2006 Join Date
    0x198837ADLocation
    465Posts

Most of the times are false positive because hooking into a main.exe from another DLL (which is what most client sources are doing now) can be interpreted as a virus behavior pattern. Modifying the memory of an of an app using external methods is considered as a pattern for backdoors and potential viruses.

The pattern and a possible behavior is triggering most of the virus check engines and even anti-virus softwares. If you have the source code and you've compiled it and you know it's safe, that's a false positive from your perspective and a true positive from other people's perspective. Anything which is doing memory alteration and modifying during the init or runtime, it's considered a virus.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    523Posts

@lordlook Can you share this clean 97d main.exe, please?
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

OpenMU Project: Blog - GitHub

MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    12Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nevS View Post
    @lordlook Can you share this clean 97d main.exe, please?
    I got it from https://www.mediafire.com/file/r7p7e...4-KOR.zip/file
    There was a client link but it got taken down and I'm waiting for the original upload to update the link these days.

Advertisement