Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[HELP] Setting up a working S2 or 97d+99b server

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey!

So most tutorials have dead files or no working client.

I was following along for a while but the files included mismatch the ones that he shows in the tutorial, and some files are missing. It seems like I got the server running but the client files included are really random, and the filename even says S4. But whenever I try to edit the IP to my local IP via the hex editor, it breaks the file.

Does anyone have a good tutorial for a vanilla oldschool version where the files actually work?

Doesn't have to be the most secure one, just trying to set something up for myself & my friends on LAN on a Windows 11 machine.

I seriously clicked through so many tutorials that lead to dead ends, are missing files or don't have the client files included. So would also really appreciate vanilla server files + client files + launcher.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So I got the hex editor working properly and I can insert my local ip without breaking the main.exe. However, the server login doesn't show up.

In the ServerStartUp everything looks green (connect, join, data, game).

I tried 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.1 (default gateway) and 192.168.0.14 (IPv4) - no luck

I've tried opening all ports 55901, 55914, 55960, 44405, 55557

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I tried, but same result still unfortunately. The only I haven't done yet is the "serial" I should pay attention to in the main.exe. I don't know where to get this serial.

I tried, but same result still unfortunately. The only I haven't done yet is the "serial" I should pay attention to in the main.exe. I don't know where to get this serial.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
1. if you cant open ports u wont make it work

so open ports 44405,55901,55919 and run server.. then go to and check ports 44405 if running or 55901 too, if sucess then its not port issue its bad config in client issue or server files ip wrong configuring, simple as that, my tutorials are not 'mismatching' it should be all easy and clear of what to do, those files are old anyways thats why u get confused easily.. so figure out about ports or else if port shows failed on the porchecker website use your IpV4 ip in files and client in order to be able to connect just your self u can find ur ipv4 if u go on pc> start> command prompt type ipconfig and use the IpV4 instead then u dont need open ports, if still issues then still u didnt edit files,client correctly with hex editor and all that, and we cant help u if we dont see exactly images of how u edited things at all.

ps the client and the files are downgrade of s4 to season 2, thats why u think its s4... if u want a classic s2 check my older videos, but those files arent stable in the long run.

Upvote 0
RaGEZONER Since 2004
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Check this thread this might help you to resolved your problem with serial.
https://forum.ragezone.com/f196/how-to-change-version-serial-292094/

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1. if you cant open ports u wont make it work

so open ports 44405,55901,55919 and run server.. then go to and check ports 44405 if running or 55901 too, if sucess then its not port issue its bad config in client issue or server files ip wrong configuring, simple as that, my tutorials are not 'mismatching' it should be all easy and clear of what to do, those files are old anyways thats why u get confused easily.. so figure out about ports or else if port shows failed on the porchecker website use your IpV4 ip in files and client in order to be able to connect just your self u can find ur ipv4 if u go on pc> start> command prompt type ipconfig and use the IpV4 instead then u dont need open ports, if still issues then still u didnt edit files,client correctly with hex editor and all that, and we cant help u if we dont see exactly images of how u edited things at all.

ps the client and the files are downgrade of s4 to season 2, thats why u think its s4... if u want a classic s2 check my older videos, but those files arent stable in the long run.

Ports are open on the route settings, firewall disabled and all, but when I run it through portchecker.co they still seem to be closed. I disabled all the security settings on the router too, but no luck. But does port opening even matter if the server is hosted on the very same PC? Locally?

I would love the original s2 (or even s1) files, because I just want to host a one-time lan party with friends. Do you have a link to the server files from as well? I only see client in the description.

Thanks!

Check this thread this might help you to resolved your problem with serial.
https://forum.ragezone.com/f196/how-to-change-version-serial-292094/

So do I understand correctly that serial only matters for main.exe if you want to connect to a server? Or what's the use case or principle behind it, I just don't get that at the moment.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I guess that my biggest question now is if the fact that I can't see my ports on would this be the cause that I can not see the server login on the same computer that I am hosting the server if I'm using my own local ipv4 to connect?

Upvote 0
Reaction score
if you use your Global IP in ur files, client and 'cant see PORTS at the website, then YES thats the issue.

if you are using LAN IP which i described, and still have issues then its wrong Editing of your IP in server files OR client

simple.

if uwanna try these classic s2 files i updated the link in the video too.. (which are not fully stable for the LONG term meaning after 1 month u must reinstall your windows and reinstall the server or else u will get every 1-2 days random disconnects and must restart the gameservers everyday day, other s2 files free are usually having the same issue or other issues, thats why better try something like that : https://forum.ragezone.com/f197/release-exteam-s2-e4-customs-1024243/
and make it look classic... if u are not willing to learn to nothing will change, for some it took 2-3 months just to make a server and go in game successfully, welcome to the mulife!

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you use your Global IP in ur files, client and 'cant see PORTS at the website, then YES thats the issue.

if you are using LAN IP which i described, and still have issues then its wrong Editing of your IP in server files OR client

simple.

if uwanna try these classic s2 files i updated the link in the video too.. (which are not fully stable for the LONG term meaning after 1 month u must reinstall your windows and reinstall the server or else u will get every 1-2 days random disconnects and must restart the gameservers everyday day, other s2 files free are usually having the same issue or other issues, thats why better try something like that : https://forum.ragezone.com/f197/release-exteam-s2-e4-customs-1024243/
and make it look classic... if u are not willing to learn to nothing will change, for some it took 2-3 months just to make a server and go in game successfully, welcome to the mulife!

Thanks for the server files & the link. I'll look into it.

I was using the LAN IP (IPv4) – but I'll check the files. Does that IP have to be used in all the files instead of 127.0.0.1?

Could it also be that Windows 11 is conflicting with some of the apps?

Yeah 2-3 months of work and learning is too much effort to get a server running for 1 evening.

So I kept fiddling around with everything and this is my setup. I can't figure out what the problem is. These are all my config files that I've touched and fiddled around with:

G9RSzkM - [HELP] Setting up a working S2 or 97d+99b server - RaGEZONE Forums

I know you offer a setup service - how much would you charge to get me a server up and running on your hosting site?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reaction score
@guadralupe ServerList file - change "IP" to your IP. That's from Connect Server. Connect Server gives the server list to the client.

Edit: Apparently you didn't followed any guide to setup correctly your server, because I can see you actually modified files that you shouldn't.
The only files that you should modify are: MapServerInfo(In Data folder I think), ServerList(ConnectServer), IpList(In Data folder somewhere) and that's all. IPs should be the same. It's the IP used by the client to connect to the server.
And modify the IP for the client in the main.exe by hexing it.

AllowedIP file from DataServer are IPs that can connect directly to the DataServer so don't modify it if you are running everything on the same server machine. It's used for remote connection and restrict who can connect to the DataServer remotely.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks! Didn't work with old files but I'm now trying these files @KarLi provided https://forum.ragezone.com/f197/release-exteam-s2-e4-customs-1024243/ -- but I'm getting an error with GameServer.exe "Failed to connect!! Check 'Connect.ini""

But the username and password for the database are correct.

And I tried for server both 127.0.0.1 and my IPv4 192.168.0.14 -- both same error.

[Connect]
Account = sa
Password = CorrectPassword
Database = MuOnline
Server = 127.0.0.1

AccMode = 1

PlayerConnectInfo = 0

Does this SSU look correct? Parameters for the GameServer?
SemMcEj - [HELP] Setting up a working S2 or 97d+99b server - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reaction score
Server = 127.0.0.1
chagne to your PC-NAME\SQLEXPRESS instead if u use sql 2008 or higher
also run server as admin (gs) or server starter

127.0.0.1 must be everywher except connectserver and mapserverinfo.dat and client files.

alternatively the issue could be on using sql 2008 and u might have to use sql2000 or 2005 on this files, its old and oudated, they arent bad files but yeah try the thigns first we suggested.
ps:
on your other files... where u edited main.exe after your ip 192.42..... the dots say on left 2E 2E change that 00 00 and save and retry, cus that makes it wrong to connect which could been the issue

secondly in joinserver config change that connctserveraddress to 127.0.0.1 back.. and in serverlist it says ''IP'' change that to the ip u using instead

Upvote 0
Back