Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Mu online server + MS server 2019

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Good afternoon, dear members of the forum.
I am planning to install a home Mu online server
There is minimal hardware for this:
Core2Quad Q6600
DDR2 - 6gb
net - 100Mbit, static IP
HDD 160Gb

i have a question.
Can i install windows server 2019 and sql server 2019 for further installation of Mu online server on this system?
Will the server start? And will the database work in it?
there is no desire to pick the old sql and MSserver 2008, since the project is planned for a long time. Not a one-day trip.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I had no problems using Windows 2016 with SQL 2017, last time i set up a Mu Server. Dunno about 2019 but i think you'll be fine.
Thanks for the advice, friend! I will try and be sure to write about my results in this subject

Upvote 0
Reaction score
@Quark the one first thing you must consider for a long term server is to have super powerful internet, haters and jealous players/admins will attack your server and thats it, you wont e able to do much, its your house network overall, so save that whole stress and trouble and get you a windows server 2012 or 2016 or 2019 whatever you like, with ddos protection and depending what server files season you will use choose the best specs in RAM, CPU an ssd preferably or HDD enough space for mu and DB to run and collect data, it always depends what files u use, but most files have their backups done in msql 2008 or 2012 so the higher u go the more chances you will be able to restore these database .baks and then surely u can't downgrade sql version unless you wanna whipe the database and start fresh again, so dont worry about DB, worry about your house internet not getting damaged that results ur house network to be laggy etc by investing for a host like from sovahost. net UNless you wanna experiment first, then go for it, but for publishing serious long term servers, learn from our mistakes or u will waste some time probably if your server gets the long term attention where people start trying to hack it/attack it etc.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
remember to set up SQL according to Microsoft's Best practices:
DO NOT USE SA ACCOUNT, disable it and create another sysadmin account. Just be sure to update your mu server config files
SE TUP SQL SERVER MEMORY otherwise the sql process WILL use all your RAM: balance it as your SO needs at least 2GB, your muserver exes will requrie some, let sql use 4 or 8 GB depending on the nmber of users. You can change that in options
Set the database in simple recovery mode or your sql logs will be HUGE.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
remember to set up SQL according to Microsoft's Best practices:
DO NOT USE SA ACCOUNT, disable it and create another sysadmin account. Just be sure to update your mu server config files
SE TUP SQL SERVER MEMORY otherwise the sql process WILL use all your RAM: balance it as your SO needs at least 2GB, your muserver exes will requrie some, let sql use 4 or 8 GB depending on the nmber of users. You can change that in options
Set the database in simple recovery mode or your sql logs will be HUGE.

i like the sa change user idea, and now days i recommend 4GB Minimum ram for a mu server (season6 and up), and for higher seasons 8GB (igcn especially s16) in my experience, as you said the more players the more Ram, so that depends on the admin and how his server goes.

and i use this for my logs clearing instead whichworks perfectly fine (manually doing it cuz i like to see the log size time after time)

Code:
USE MuOnline;
GO
ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
SET RECOVERY SIMPLE;
GO
DBCC SHRINKFILE (MuOnline_Log, 1);
GO
ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
SET RECOVERY FULL;
GO

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Should be no problem. Tested.
IGCN Season 6 / Season 12 / Season 15 / Season 16
Xteam Season 14 / Season 15 / Season 16
Louis EMU S6/s8

Upvote 0
Reaction score
i like the sa change user idea, and now days i recommend 4GB Minimum ram for a mu server (season6 and up), and for higher seasons 8GB (igcn especially s16) in my experience, as you said the more players the more Ram, so that depends on the admin and how his server goes.

and i use this for my logs clearing instead whichworks perfectly fine (manually doing it cuz i like to see the log size time after time)

Code:
USE MuOnline;
GO
ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
SET RECOVERY SIMPLE;
GO
DBCC SHRINKFILE (MuOnline_Log, 1);
GO
ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
SET RECOVERY FULL;
GO

oh that to shrink the logs.. but i suggest keeping it in simple mode. You already have your MuServer logs, you don't need the ones from sql too

:-D

also if you want to go full on M$ best practices make a separate volume for the database and format it setting your clusters at 64kb

NTFS Allocation Unit Size
When formatting the partition that will be used for SQL Server data files, it is recommended that you use a 64-KB allocation unit size for data, logs, and tempdb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back