Mu online server + MS server 2019

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie Quark is offline
    MemberRank
    Sep 2021 Join Date
    2Posts

    happy Mu online server + MS server 2019

    Good afternoon, dear members of the forum.
    I am planning to install a home Mu online server
    There is minimal hardware for this:
    Core2Quad Q6600
    DDR2 - 6gb
    net - 100Mbit, static IP
    HDD 160Gb

    i have a question.
    Can i install windows server 2019 and sql server 2019 for further installation of Mu online server on this system?
    Will the server start? And will the database work in it?
    there is no desire to pick the old sql and MSserver 2008, since the project is planned for a long time. Not a one-day trip.


  2. #2
    LastLand Mu -UnicorN- is offline
    Gold SubscriberRank
    Jul 2006 Join Date
    Milan - ItalyLocation
    689Posts

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    I had no problems using Windows 2016 with SQL 2017, last time i set up a Mu Server. Dunno about 2019 but i think you'll be fine.

  3. #3
    Newbie Quark is offline
    MemberRank
    Sep 2021 Join Date
    2Posts

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by -UnicorN- View Post
    I had no problems using Windows 2016 with SQL 2017, last time i set up a Mu Server. Dunno about 2019 but i think you'll be fine.
    Thanks for the advice, friend! I will try and be sure to write about my results in this subject

  4. #4

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    @Quark the one first thing you must consider for a long term server is to have super powerful internet, haters and jealous players/admins will attack your server and thats it, you wont e able to do much, its your house network overall, so save that whole stress and trouble and get you a windows server 2012 or 2016 or 2019 whatever you like, with ddos protection and depending what server files season you will use choose the best specs in RAM, CPU an ssd preferably or HDD enough space for mu and DB to run and collect data, it always depends what files u use, but most files have their backups done in msql 2008 or 2012 so the higher u go the more chances you will be able to restore these database .baks and then surely u can't downgrade sql version unless you wanna whipe the database and start fresh again, so dont worry about DB, worry about your house internet not getting damaged that results ur house network to be laggy etc by investing for a host like from sovahost. net UNless you wanna experiment first, then go for it, but for publishing serious long term servers, learn from our mistakes or u will waste some time probably if your server gets the long term attention where people start trying to hack it/attack it etc.

  5. #5
    LastLand Mu -UnicorN- is offline
    Gold SubscriberRank
    Jul 2006 Join Date
    Milan - ItalyLocation
    689Posts

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    remember to set up SQL according to Microsoft's Best practices:
    DO NOT USE SA ACCOUNT, disable it and create another sysadmin account. Just be sure to update your mu server config files
    SE TUP SQL SERVER MEMORY otherwise the sql process WILL use all your RAM: balance it as your SO needs at least 2GB, your muserver exes will requrie some, let sql use 4 or 8 GB depending on the nmber of users. You can change that in options
    Set the database in simple recovery mode or your sql logs will be HUGE.

  6. #6

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by -UnicorN- View Post
    remember to set up SQL according to Microsoft's Best practices:
    DO NOT USE SA ACCOUNT, disable it and create another sysadmin account. Just be sure to update your mu server config files
    SE TUP SQL SERVER MEMORY otherwise the sql process WILL use all your RAM: balance it as your SO needs at least 2GB, your muserver exes will requrie some, let sql use 4 or 8 GB depending on the nmber of users. You can change that in options
    Set the database in simple recovery mode or your sql logs will be HUGE.
    i like the sa change user idea, and now days i recommend 4GB Minimum ram for a mu server (season6 and up), and for higher seasons 8GB (igcn especially s16) in my experience, as you said the more players the more Ram, so that depends on the admin and how his server goes.

    and i use this for my logs clearing instead whichworks perfectly fine (manually doing it cuz i like to see the log size time after time)


    Code:
    USE MuOnline;
    GO
    ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
    SET RECOVERY SIMPLE;
    GO
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (MuOnline_Log, 1);
    GO
    ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
    SET RECOVERY FULL;
    GO

  7. #7
    Registered BlackLegend is offline
    MemberRank
    Jun 2021 Join Date
    23Posts

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    Should be no problem. Tested.
    IGCN Season 6 / Season 12 / Season 15 / Season 16
    Xteam Season 14 / Season 15 / Season 16
    Louis EMU S6/s8

  8. #8
    LastLand Mu -UnicorN- is offline
    Gold SubscriberRank
    Jul 2006 Join Date
    Milan - ItalyLocation
    689Posts

    Re: Mu online server + MS server 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by KarLi View Post
    i like the sa change user idea, and now days i recommend 4GB Minimum ram for a mu server (season6 and up), and for higher seasons 8GB (igcn especially s16) in my experience, as you said the more players the more Ram, so that depends on the admin and how his server goes.

    and i use this for my logs clearing instead whichworks perfectly fine (manually doing it cuz i like to see the log size time after time)


    Code:
    USE MuOnline;
    GO
    ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
    SET RECOVERY SIMPLE;
    GO
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (MuOnline_Log, 1);
    GO
    ALTER DATABASE MuOnline
    SET RECOVERY FULL;
    GO
    oh that to shrink the logs.. but i suggest keeping it in simple mode. You already have your MuServer logs, you don't need the ones from sql too

    :-D

    also if you want to go full on M$ best practices make a separate volume for the database and format it setting your clusters at 64kb

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...tion-unit-size

    NTFS Allocation Unit Size
    When formatting the partition that will be used for SQL Server data files, it is recommended that you use a 64-KB allocation unit size for data, logs, and tempdb.
    Last edited by -UnicorN-; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:05 PM.



Advertisement