Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Paypal setup for donations/payments

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi!

Just recently had a little hiccup with paypal, placing my current account on hold and asking to do bunch of verifications etc. It was set up as a business account initially which was a year a go and I had no problems with it.

I just would like to know what is the best way around it? Surely you wouldn't set up a new paypal account every time it gets placed on verification hold.

Also, having a personal paypal loses the option to automatically authorize payments every time player donates via paypal(I might not know something).

Let me know if there is some trick here to be using paypal relatively hustle free.

xoxo

Reaction score
I really don't wanna discourage you, but I've actually heard of this recently and some PayPal accounts of some private servers(L2) got banned or the account was on holding, but I'm not sure why. I think the business accounts are only for businesses, like real proven businesses with a proven VAT number (I guess under PayPal T&A) for companies or firms, in which you need to provide your company information in order to use this type of an account. PayPal, from time to time, are in check-ins with banks, and afterward, banks can hold the bank account if any statements were issues by PayPal to your bank (The bank will never notify you), so if they are considering that you are doing money-laundering, fraud or tax evasion, they are responsible (PayPal) to hold your PayPal account until you are providing the required verifications they want, and they will have to hold that account according to laws applied in your state/country.

For example, in many cases around the world, regarding tax laws, receiving money on PayPal and getting the money out from that PayPal account to your bank account, that's considered tax evasion if you are not declaring that to your IRS or similar institution, because it's a form of income. (The only one which are excluded from paying taxes but still need to declare the amount of donations gained in that year are the NPO, which are gathering funds for schools, kids, supporting, etc., which are donations defined by a scope and registered in the IRS with that scope for gathering a gross revenue from donations via any form - PayPal Business account, PayPal Personal account, crowd-funding, fund raisers, on street and giving a receipt, etc.).

I'm not trying to discourage you, again, but I just wanna make you aware of this possible problem in the future xD, cause I don't think anyone is encouraging tax evasion and it's actually very risky for anyone to do it xD xoxo And also tax laws are always updating, so probably soon, this kind of thing will disappear, as you can see they already started the process with PayPal Business account creation when you don't have a legal business, and they will ask a ton of verifications so you can prove that you are paying taxes to your country.

I don't think there's a trick or workaround for this. ^^
Maybe I'm not right, but still... ^^ Anyway, good luck dude and stay out of troubles xD

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
insteresting .. when you open bussiness account do you must have a company?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I really don't wanna discourage you, but I've actually heard of this recently and some PayPal accounts of some private servers(L2) got banned or the account was on holding, but I'm not sure why. I think the business accounts are only for businesses, like real proven businesses with a proven VAT number (I guess under PayPal T&A) for companies or firms, in which you need to provide your company information in order to use this type of an account. PayPal, from time to time, are in check-ins with banks, and afterward, banks can hold the bank account if any statements were issues by PayPal to your bank (The bank will never notify you), so if they are considering that you are doing money-laundering, fraud or tax evasion, they are responsible (PayPal) to hold your PayPal account until you are providing the required verifications they want, and they will have to hold that account according to laws applied in your state/country.

For example, in many cases around the world, regarding tax laws, receiving money on PayPal and getting the money out from that PayPal account to your bank account, that's considered tax evasion if you are not declaring that to your IRS or similar institution, because it's a form of income. (The only one which are excluded from paying taxes but still need to declare the amount of donations gained in that year are the NPO, which are gathering funds for schools, kids, supporting, etc., which are donations defined by a scope and registered in the IRS with that scope for gathering a gross revenue from donations via any form - PayPal Business account, PayPal Personal account, crowd-funding, fund raisers, on street and giving a receipt, etc.).

I'm not trying to discourage you, again, but I just wanna make you aware of this possible problem in the future xD, cause I don't think anyone is encouraging tax evasion and it's actually very risky for anyone to do it xD xoxo And also tax laws are always updating, so probably soon, this kind of thing will disappear, as you can see they already started the process with PayPal Business account creation when you don't have a legal business, and they will ask a ton of verifications so you can prove that you are paying taxes to your country.

I don't think there's a trick or workaround for this. ^^
Maybe I'm not right, but still... ^^ Anyway, good luck dude and stay out of troubles xD

Thank you!
I actually managed to sort it out once again, also I'm well aware of taxes and when/how tax bodies would interfere with PayPal, most of the time it depends on how much money is coming in, held on the account. As for company/business I am self employed so I can get away without having to have a VAT number. Obviously there is no need for dodging taxes or doing some shady stuff. :)

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Thank you!
I actually managed to sort it out once again, also I'm well aware of taxes and when/how tax bodies would interfere with PayPal, most of the time it depends on how much money is coming in, held on the account. As for company/business I am self employed so I can get away without having to have a VAT number. Obviously there is no need for dodging taxes or doing some shady stuff. :)

You're welcome xD Good, that's great. Right, taxes are paid by percentage of the gross revenue and yes, that depends on how much money is coming in.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You may use their API. Paypal do ask verifications and places your money on hold. Just do the verification and for automatic payments, you can code your own even with personal account using their API. Advantage of having a biz account is that when your players donate they wont see your direct name on it but your biz name instead :)

Upvote 0
Back