Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

webhost service, IIS vs Apache vs NGINX, and proxy?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
hey everyone,

been looking for a while to bring my home-based DC to some good use and hopefully make a big-@$$ server available for play for the general public, alongside dedicated gigabit fiber connection.
I have been really nostalgic, I miss S2-3; however, if that's not a possibility, will host something else.

I've got a basic call for help.

Obviously, I can't run S2/3 server files on the latest and greatest windows server or MSSQL or use the latest website suite for it, so I was kind of hoping I can do a quick sanity check for an overall system or collection of systems.

1) web hosting:
I will be doing it locally. all virtualized.
Would you recommend IIS, Apache or Nginx?
TBF, I would put it behind a proxy regardless, simply because I want that extra layer of security.
my hosting is already behind cloud flare, so I am not overly worried about DDoS attacks.

2) database:
Again, Virtualized, however, I keep seeing mixed opinions about what server is best suited.
Leaning towards 2008-2012 since it's still relatively supported on WS2019 and 2022 even AND still relatively compatible with older file structures.

3) Forum and ticket system:
I think that sort of goes without saying. PhpBB and OsTicket.
will probably be hosted on a quick and dirty ubuntu server with PHP and zend (if IIS receives a lot of hate).

4) server OS:
for anything mu software related, I've been thinking WS 2012 or was it 2008R2? (or the windows 7 equivalent) due to it being "the most compatible" with old software and a bridge with newer ones.

5) security:
This is where I'm kind of most stumped.
I have Anti-virus (with clam AV) and IPS with Suricata, which I believe to be well implemented on top of some other network protections.
I would be interested in knowing what people use for a more direct protection approach.
client and server?

6) finances:
do you accept donations or charge for a membership fee/sold items??
I would like to eventually hire a coder/programmer for a dedicated bug fix support.
A very .... by the people for the people kind of approach, if you want to call it that way.

other points you'd like to bring to light?
I'm here to take notes at least.

cMu

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
hey everyone,

been looking for a while to bring my home-based DC to some good use and hopefully make a big-@$$ server available for play for the general public, alongside dedicated gigabit fiber connection.
I have been really nostalgic, I miss S2-3; however, if that's not a possibility, will host something else.

I've got a basic call for help.

Obviously, I can't run S2/3 server files on the latest and greatest windows server or MSSQL or use the latest website suite for it, so I was kind of hoping I can do a quick sanity check for an overall system or collection of systems.

1) web hosting:
I will be doing it locally. all virtualized.
Would you recommend IIS, Apache or Nginx?
TBF, I would put it behind a proxy regardless, simply because I want that extra layer of security.
my hosting is already behind cloud flare, so I am not overly worried about DDoS attacks.

2) database:
Again, Virtualized, however, I keep seeing mixed opinions about what server is best suited.
Leaning towards 2008-2012 since it's still relatively supported on WS2019 and 2022 even AND still relatively compatible with older file structures.

3) Forum and ticket system:
I think that sort of goes without saying. PhpBB and OsTicket.
will probably be hosted on a quick and dirty ubuntu server with PHP and zend (if IIS receives a lot of hate).

4) server OS:
for anything mu software related, I've been thinking WS 2012 or was it 2008R2? (or the windows 7 equivalent) due to it being "the most compatible" with old software and a bridge with newer ones.

5) security:
This is where I'm kind of most stumped.
I have Anti-virus (with clam AV) and IPS with Suricata, which I believe to be well implemented on top of some other network protections.
I would be interested in knowing what people use for a more direct protection approach.
client and server?

6) finances:
do you accept donations or charge for a membership fee/sold items??
I would like to eventually hire a coder/programmer for a dedicated bug fix support.
A very .... by the people for the people kind of approach, if you want to call it that way.

other points you'd like to bring to light?
I'm here to take notes at least.

1. IIS is kinda more stable and secured then apache. but it depends on what CMS you will use - since not all of them supports IIS (although can be easily adapted).
3. if you plan to use a free CMS for forum, MyBB is better.
4. Win server 2012 R2.
5. Anti hack? many on the market. PSDevs, LiveGuard, game-shield.
6. depends on what season. if it's a low season you should hire a private dev so he can work on your project. if it's higher seasons (such as latest) so just stick with IGCN or MU-Devs. for web side you should get a web developer each case. even if you plan to use a existing CMS from the market.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
6. depends on what season. if it's a low season you should hire a private dev so he can work on your project. if it's higher seasons (such as latest) so just stick with IGCN or MU-Devs. for web side you should get a web developer each case. even if you plan to use a existing CMS from the market.

Don't RZ admins/mods warn people NOT to pay for files?

Upvote 0

cMu

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Don't RZ admins/mods warn people NOT to pay for files?
IGCN and MUDEVS are both very popular.
And in general - find out who you’re working with. RZ worn because there are many scams here (from private people).

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
IGCN and MUDEVS are both very popular.
And in general - find out who you’re working with. RZ worn because there are many scams here (from private people).

sounds fair.

I'll look into it.
I'd rather get some files and pay-as-you go support or no support at all rather than be locked into a support contract that I'll never need to use.

Cheers for now,

Upvote 0
Back