Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Developping an iROSE server... not just running it bur developping it

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dear fans of ROSE,

I'm reading this forum since a while, but never wrote here. So hi ^-^
And already thanks to all of you who wrote guides, gave advices and so on.

I've read a lot and managed to make my own* "Arcturus" server (mainly thanks to this ). The idea of this server is that we are 5 friends who always loved ROSE. But then we had to start again after Ruff ended... and same with Titan.
Therefore we decided to launch our own server... at least we are sur we will never loose our characters ^^

However, even if the server is running (really) fine, we are getting trouble at making deep modification of it. In fact, even simple modifications are hard*.

Therefore, I was wondering what you would advise me to work with. Are those Arcturus files a good choice to be able to develop a custom ROSE** ? I guess the best for customization is osirose, nevertheless I have the feeling it is still under a lot of development and would ask us to help developing it for years before being able to play together again.
In fact, my question would be the following: what is the best compromise between full power on the "code" and "already working well" ROSE?

Also, I code for my job, but I'd like to also code for my pleasure to learn more and more... and this is one of my motivation to try to play more with the sources. However if I understand well, the iROSE source are really rare and expansive? So the only sources available are osirose ?

Ok, this thread is already going in a lot of direction.
Let's resume:
- as the prefix says, it's a discussion. Not really a request, or ask for help
- and the main topic of this discussion is: "What would be the more fun, customizable, where you get really get an expertise after hours or trying to improve the code, but also more great to play, etc etc. server of iRose to make ?"
- eventually, we love ROSE. And we will probably never have time to work on other projects. So what would be the best so we could become "experts" of ROSE?
Thanks for reading, I hope we will have nice discussion and that I will learn a lot in your compagny :)

NB: In my search of code, I found this , however this seems super old. And it looks like nice fixes... but coming from nowhere. Do you know if it is worth investigating those? Does anyone have something more recent/useful/taht they are using ? Thanks !

PS: And I just realized that... in fact... is osirose an iRose server or a EVO one ? :p

PPS: If someone with expertise would like to help us by being available by email to answer questions, this would be awesome. But we understand this will probably not happen ^^

* for example, I wanted to trigger the Christmas event. It looked easy on osirose, but here... I manage to change one or two things but never managed to have the full event works properly

** for example, I didn't find them really "easy" to use to find the database, and add new things to it. Or to add things like the time on buffs. Or trigger events. Or change the crafting system. Or allowing monster to drop items even when too low level (we are 5 players, so we would like to be able to farm B3 even at lvl 210 ^^). In a nutshell... we didn't find a lot of things yet :p

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Therefore, I was wondering what you would advise me to work with. Are those Arcturus files a good choice to be able to develop a custom ROSE** ? I guess the best for customization is osirose, nevertheless I have the feeling it is still under a lot of development and would ask us to help developing it for years before being able to play together again.
In fact, my question would be the following: what is the best compromise between full power on the "code" and "already working well" ROSE?

Well it depends on what you want. The only complete server is Arcturus. osirose 1 works but is not developed anymore and highly unstable. osirose 2, which the link is in my sig, is not ready to play the game with but is very stable and will offer a lot of customization when completed.

We just recently started working on the map server so as of right now you can only get login and create/delete characters. osirose has always been a small team and right now we are a team of 2. If you would like to help out feel free to fork the project and help us out by creating pull requests and such.

Also, I code for my job, but I'd like to also code for my pleasure to learn more and more... and this is one of my motivation to try to play more with the sources. However if I understand well, the iROSE source are really rare and expansive? So the only sources available are osirose ?

Correct the only sources available are for osirose. The official server source is out there but you would need to find someone willing to either give it to you or sell you it and it wouldn't be cheap.

Ok, this thread is already going in a lot of direction.
Let's resume:
- as the prefix says, it's a discussion. Not really a request, or ask for help
- and the main topic of this discussion is: "What would be the more fun, customizable, where you get really get an expertise after hours or trying to improve the code, but also more great to play, etc etc. server of iRose to make ?"
- eventually, we love ROSE. And we will probably never have time to work on other projects. So what would be the best so we could become "experts" of ROSE?
Thanks for reading, I hope we will have nice discussion and that I will learn a lot in your compagny :)

I personally like adding new features by improving the code.

NB: In my search of code, I found this , however this seems super old. And it looks like nice fixes... but coming from nowhere. Do you know if it is worth investigating those? Does anyone have something more recent/useful/taht they are using ? Thanks !

That is how titan rose updated their game before they switched over to using the official source code. That is the latest version of those mods and could be a good starting base for you guys.

PS: And I just realized that... in fact... is osirose an iRose server or a EVO one ? :p

osIROSE is a iRose server where osROSE is the EVO version.

I hope this helped :D.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I started up a i-rose server with help of Raven.

There a few others who are making a i-rose server lattlly
i have been helping them with server setup when i can. not with source but with ideas and setups.
They titan stuff is still good to use in mean time while you build up.

On topic:
QSD, AIP already have time detection inside them
so you can setup a Time / Date to turn on and off quests or Actions.

Just link the CON (NPC chat) to a QSD requirement to see what time to enable that chat.
if its a summon thing...
add an NPC into every map you want the mob to spawn.. tie an AIP to it.
have the AIP Summon mobs every "Bla 6?" min at XXXX YYYY on that map...
but you want to do this in populated areas else you can cause flooding.
or
create a mob thats Super HP.. when its attack it spawns mobs.
have a GM summon the Super mob and once server reboots its gone.

if you think of inventive ways to use the current files you can make a lot of in new ways.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dear Raven, iceland,

Thanks a lot for your (very quick!) answers.
I think I see what we will do. Since it is important for some of us to start playing already, I will continue with Arcturus for the moment. Trying to play with the titan mods. However, I really find a pity that the sources are not available (logical, but still sad ^^) and therefore I love the osirose idea.
So, I will start to play with the titan stuff. A first question: do you have an idea of how they figure out how to write this code? It's quite a big mystery for me to write such things without source code. Where should I look if I want to add something totally new in those mods?

However I will also fork osirose and keep an eye on it, just for me. And maybe help the project when I will feel more confident in my "ROSE skills" ^^

Thanks also iceland for the information about time detection. I will have a deeper look into this.

By any chance, since you know people who started iRose server recently, did some of them used titan mods? And if they improved what is in exjam github, do you think they could share their work on this part?

Thank you very much again guys!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
they setup a basic I-rose using bratok rose client.
then they been added what they can (whats new in item, maps, ect) to it afterwards.

they haven't touched the titan stuff thats DLL injections and i do not think they know how to do this yet.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ok, thanks ! (you definitely are really fast to answer ^^)
If you have time could you tell me what's the difference between the Arcturus files I got and that bratok client? Should I also use it?

Thanks !

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are wasting your time developing anything on arcturus.

Osirose II is pretty much the future of rose, its easy to use, everyone is familiar with its concepts and the code is very readable.
I understand your will to "learn" how the whole thing works but i would really avoid this.

Really developing anything when you don't have source for anything don't make sense to me.
For the first time in years a project looks like it has good chances to be finally somehow complete, i would not miss the opportunity.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes, I think you're right.
Even if it is a bit sad to think we will probably have to wait years to be able to play together again if we use the osirose server.
But you more or less convinced me and I will set it up quickly and try to understand how it works.

By any chance, is there any piece of documentation/tutorial for this code ? I've just registered here btw:

Cheers,

Edit: a first question: what are the different branches? I see a lot of recent commits in all of them (except the master). Should I start to play with "trunk" ?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Master only gets commits on a milestone release. Trunk is where most of the newest features live. typically we branch off trunk to add a big new feature or to change some core function. Once the character branch gets merged into trunk we will be able to get into the map server.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Sho (Arcturus) files are great for a starting off for a stable base server...
sure you cant edit the server files much to add new systems this is true...

but the client is not 100% systems is it.
so while you wait for say OSI-Rose to become stable (with raven in lead it be good)
you can use the SHO server and work on the content.

Maps, items, Quests, mobs, etc.... most of i-rose is 10 years old. some change be nice.
systems are not everything with games... most games have TONE of quests... rose barely had any.
like im working on my client to have all new quests and comeplate new skill trees.
sure the items are still the same but i am kinda solo atm and i have a lot work to do.

A Lot of the tools are around to do A tone with the client now... but no one spends the time to do any of it.
i am still learning the lightmap tools... once i have it ill have all new maps to add.

To be honest you DONT really NEED source and all the flashy new systems to have a good game.
Stable files + Good content is heaps.

Besides without the trose.exe source it will be very hard to create a client / server system.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks Raven ! I will probably come again with other questions ^^

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Oh about bratok client.

its designed to be a Pay to win type client.
after a selective level i believe its lvl 180+ leveling gets slow unless you get the premium items that are stacked up with damage
or donation gems... there is a lot people who like this and have asked that i did that with my own server... but i dont like it i like people to earn there powers and donate to the server cause they liked it... or temporary advantage (x2 exp)

its got a lot items in it... the v2.2+ is a locked VFS and i never released how it worked so no one ever worked its encryption.
but i dont think anyone but me has V3 client now.

but still there is a lot in it... designed to max level 310 not 210 so you have to mod it a bit to suit.
its not the BEST of clients but its a okay start if you want one that has items pre-stocked into it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi iceland,
Good you answered again for the bratok client since I missed your previous answer (looks like we answered at the same time).
Thanks a lot for all the explanation.

Therefore I think I could do the following:
- continue playing with Arcturus files but focusing on client side instead of server side
- follow how osirose evolves for the server side, maybe trying to help if I manage to

Just to be sure, since I'm a beginner in ROSE "developping", could you confirm that:
- adding a timer for the buffs, fixing the HP while in party, allowing drops on all monsters, ... ---> is server related;
- adding new quests, trigger events, change loot table, add new (crafting) skills, ... ---> is client related.

So I have an idea of what I should first focus on :)

Again, thanks a lot for your help guys!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Timers already exist and depends on what you are doing.

Player / Monster / NPC Timers
Buff timers its IN the STB list_skills.stb that tells you how long the buffs go for.
AIP have there own timers on how often they do action and use the STB for how long they last.

Quests.... its more complicated.
Learn how Con + Lua files work to get basic action and NPC chat.
QSD is like the Quests and NPC brain. its best to store your conditions...
dont use Lua to hold all the conditions as they hackable (Client side read)
use IFO or map editor to apply the Con file to the NPC

hard Part... there is Quest trigger ID`s (1/0 on / off) but there no direct list.... there is some tools that show you the used ones.
else you will have to go through each one to find the triggers.... else you get conflicting...
they tell the server is the user has completed the quest or not and prevent them if they have.

Also to note.. the LTB (the stored string file) can get easily corrupted with alot of the tools... KEEP BACKUPS!

Drops
list_drop.stb (What drops from Uncommon ----> Ultra Rare)
list_npc.stb (holds the ID of the list_drop and that mob will drop that list)

Crafting
its in the items STB`s on what crafting table they are applied to and what rank of the ability it is.
its best you not touch skills intill you have really really gotten use to using STB data...

this is indeed all client side but with SHO server you need to clone this data to the server.
Use this tool i made (Click here) it will move the changed data you done in your developers client or extracted vfs
and move it into a srvDATA file... this you can then use into your server.
GOLDEN RULE!
Server and Client MUST match!
If client do not match the server will not LET that action happen!.
with OS_rose i believe it still tries to do the action but it can cause crashing / server crashing when its incorrect.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Honestly i will always suggest working on EVO as it has a public release that is uncompilable ( due to errors that need to be fixed )and a compilable public release ( that has the errors fixed)

after that if you wish to go iRose style you can always change some functions here and there to make damage comparable to irose , and change the way HP scales per level on each class which requires another whole new calculation for it. (this is not the best idea though) + you can always opt to buy the IROSE source from people who apparently are selling them now later on once you get really serious with what you are trying to do.

And to be frank just a heads up working on the client only is actually very very limited you are only able to do so few things and even then you are going to hit a brick wall unless you have some knowledge in hex to do some changes. like for eg: if you are trying to make a new UI from scratch you are not going to be able to as it is hard coded into the client(you are going to be able to work on something but its going to be very difficult).

Anyways gl.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dear all,

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks again for all your answers. I will have a deeper look at the project thanks to your lights iceland. (however it will be in two weeks since I'm away for my job - but I'll keep you posted).

About EVO, is it really easier to start from EVO to go to iRose than to work directly with iRose?
At the moment I have no knowledge in Hex. However I guess I can learn (and would have to in fact :) ). Or do you think it is completely impossible? About that, is there somewhere a tutorial about Hex related to ROSE ?

The sources... would be the dream, of course. However since our project is 100% non-lucrative, I think we will never put so much money into it (even if I've always promised that if I become a billionaire, it's the first hing I would buy ^^). By the way, does any of you think that such sources would become public "one day" ?

Anyway, I will have a deeper look in what is available in the EVO side (never looked since I was not interested, but if it is the only way t have a proper source...).

Thanks again guys !

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks Numenor for having posted all questions we had together :)
and of course, thanks all for your answers. It helps a lot to better understand !

official source ?
I heard some info about source of iRose, does it really exist ? do OsiRose need them or already got them ?
I believe it would help a lot but I'm very curious about the "quality" of the source. No idea from where it comes... no idea of the content (server ? client ? ...)

As said by Numenor, I would love to contribute to this OsiRose-new project.
And same for me, I'm not (yet :p:) an expert in Rose tools, but I would love to help you if I can.

To tell you a bit more about my background, I'm technician in IT so I know a bit that world and I hope we'll be able to improve this nice game I played for ages : iRose :love:

Thanks thanks thanks for letting me dream again Rose ^^

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Dear fans of ROSE,

I'm reading this forum since a while, but never wrote here. So hi ^-^
And already thanks to all of you who wrote guides, gave advices and so on.

I've read a lot and managed to make my own* "Arcturus" server (mainly thanks to this ). The idea of this server is that we are 5 friends who always loved ROSE. But then we had to start again after Ruff ended... and same with Titan.

I always loved ROSE too, so good luck and warn me if your server come online. I'll share the experience as a player.
So, you did it with arcturusdev.com files ? I though this site wasn't trustable. But maybe this is the reason why you did it "mainly" with...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi Siaminou,
We did the basic settings thanks to this site. I don't remember exactly what but we only had to tweak one or two things and some missing files. But nearly everything was as said in this tutorial.

I don't think our server will be online one day. If we do some interesting things we will be sure to share them with ragezone so other servers can easily implement them but we don't want to deal with too much security (and the price is different in hosting 10-15 people and 200) ;)
Nevertheless... who knows? If this happens we will of course warn you.

Also, I just noticed that WarKeyGFX has the iROSE sources. I've already sent him an private message to ask for them. This would be so great :D Really a dream comes true!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Timers already exist and depends on what you are doing.

Do you know how to take the "live" timer of a buff and to add it on the icons of the buffs when you are buffed? So you know the time remaining for your buff. On Arcturus :)

Crafting
its in the items STB`s on what crafting table they are applied to and what rank of the ability it is.
its best you not touch skills intill you have really really gotten use to using STB data...

About this, we manage to crate a new craft (super easy).
However, we had two troubles:
- we didn't manage to create a new craft skill. I have the feeling that some parts are in STB, but that the real definition is elsewhere, any idea?

In fact, what we would achieve is:
- a new craft for dealer
- where if you put two same kind of an equipement it suggests you the blue version.

We have one problem:
- trouble to understand how to create a new crafting skill (even just a renamed copy of an existing one would be awesome, but we didn't manage to) (secondary issue)

Open question:
- is it possible to create a craft that would understand that your second component should be the same than the first + the result will be the blue one? I guess I should find some inspiration in the refine skill, but I didn't find its mechanics yet. [NB: for the moment we enter each craft by hand]

On a side note, we are going well, we fixed some quests and are enjoying the game, thanks to all of you !

Last edited:
Back