• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

i dont understand anything about making gunz maps

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
like wtf ive done 6 million times the EXACT same as they say in the tutorial but the game just keeps saying an error in mansion. wtf is wrong.....

im following this one:
https://forum.ragezone.com/f497/gunz-map-tutorial-746408/

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

and yes i have downloaded the mirrors tried on others cleints servers etc they all tell me the same. nothing works.....

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: i dont understand a duck about making gunz maps

"Error in mansion" what?

it opens up in mansion with the tab menu when i start it with GMD.exe and then it says: ''error can't create game''.

but i dont understand what im doing wrong or what im missing

so i tried an other skillmap on the internet and it says the same. so the offline client and an online client both dont work on any map

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ninja Goblin
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Cant create game is usually caused by mismatched filenames.
You cant just rename the maps, the file names inside the mrs container have to match the mrs container name (ex; mansion.mrs -> mansion.xml, mansion.rs, mansion.bsp etc.).
So check your filenames and report back if the problem still exists.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Cant create game is usually caused by mismatched filenames.
You cant just rename the maps, the file names inside the mrs container have to match the mrs container name (ex; mansion.mrs -> mansion.xml, mansion.rs, mansion.bsp etc.).
So check your filenames and report back if the problem still exists.

umhhh the site says it has to be .mrs, when i save the file it says .map??
how to save it standard to .mrs then? but ive downloaded an already completed skillmap and that one said the same thing.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You didnt understand what im talking about but thats fine anyways, link to the map?

umh why would i send the map if even already finished skillmap from others devlopers also dont work? its not the map its just probaply gunz idk. if i download a map from google it says the exact same so im not doing the map wrong. its just the files are maybe in the wrong folder or wrong started or what ive no idea

Upvote 0
Ninja Goblin
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well ... i see now where you problem lies.
You never build your map, you merely saved the project file.
When you are done doing what ever you are doing, click on build -> nolight (if you dont have light entities in your map or just want to test the geometry) / fastlight.
Gzmap then will process your map into gunz acceptable formats and packs it as an mrs that you then can use with your client.

Now about downloaded maps not working, make sure gmd is properly set up or just dont use it to begin with and simply create a shortcut to your clients exe and add /game "mapname" to the target field.
Ex; Gunz\GunZ.exe /game "mansion"

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well ... i see now where you problem lies.
You never build your map, you merely saved the project file.
When you are done doing what ever you are doing, click on build -> nolight (if you dont have light entities in your map or just want to test the geometry) / fastlight.
Gzmap then will process your map into gunz acceptable formats and packs it as an mrs that you then can use with your client.

Now about downloaded maps not working, make sure gmd is properly set up or just dont use it to begin with and simply create a shortcut to your clients exe and add /game "mapname" to the target field.
Ex; Gunz\GunZ.exe /game "mansion"

im sorry i forgot to say i actually did build with nolight and fastlight but that one also said the same. for the donwnloaded maps i will now try if they work etc.

alright now my gunz textues dont work anymore. i have set the map 10 times and restarted 1 million times but nothing works. yes i used the perference path thing but doesnt do anything.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
alright i will! im sorry that i fail with the gtkradiant i have no idea what i do wrong ive done it over and over.. are there also gunz 3ds max tutorials? or do you know how the program works for starters?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well i wrote an, by now, outdated tutorial/guide about it here on ragezone.
I also made a rather crappy video tutorial so knock yourself out.
i looked at it and its pretty expensive ;p. i also like gtkradiant more because i know it a bit now. dont you have any other solution? its saving it always as .map file even when i click ''build''. if you dont know any solution for this. maybe teamviewer?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i noticed today that it didnt only save .map file but also one .rar file with al those xml files etc you said! so it did work this time somehow ;d. maybe i accidentally changed something. alright now that i have the .rar file there are files in it. what do i need to do with these files? or just put the rar file into the maps folder?

Nevermind it works!!! i got it working yeahssss thankyou for helping me! :D
but now i have a new problem. my textures are not working. they dont show up when i press T. buth my path is right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well ... this should help.
Keep in mind that radiant doesnt quite work well with some image file types sometimes.

now that the textures work i have again an other problem.
this one: GZMap • View topic - [TUT] Walkthrough able stuff
doesnt work with me. i use darkgunz and it works with all maps. but as many filetypes i try or as many things i change nothing works. you just cant walk through the wall.

i dont think this tutorial works anymore because ive done the exact same he said. its really old. can i get your skype maybe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You're doing it wrong if thats the case.
Make sure the shader is added on the shader list, Shader Basics.
i made the shaders, everything works fine. but i dont understand this compiler. you cant open a map in it, you cant drag a map in it, the map doesnt show up in the compiler even if its in the same map as the compiler. so i cant compile it and then it will probaply not work. so how to compile files?

Upvote 0
Back