Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

General help thread. Post here, get helped.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Title. To avoid many threads where the solution is usually very simple, I thought it'd be nice to attempt to organize things a bit. I'll try and help anyone who posts here with a question.

Please provide ample context in your post, though.

I'm sure others will swoop in to help as well.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Title. To avoid many threads where the solution is usually very simple, I thought it'd be nice to attempt to organize things a bit. I'll try and help anyone who posts here with a question.

I think you are in the wrong area, this is just to show project development.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Thank you very much for your help and for opening this thread, in my case it will be very helpful.

I am trying to create a private server but I have several doubts, maybe some of you can help me.

When installing the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" and the "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express", should I install the most recent version of 2019, or should it be 2005? And I have to download it from the Microsoft website, right?

About the files I need to create the server, do I just need this:

https://forum.ragezone.com/f245/gunz-1-5-complete-source-1200915/

or should I download it from another thread?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just don't know where to start and I'm a bit clumsy.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help and for opening this thread, in my case it will be very helpful.

I am trying to create a private server but I have several doubts, maybe some of you can help me.

When installing the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" and the "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express", should I install the most recent version of 2019, or should it be 2005? And I have to download it from the Microsoft website, right?

About the files I need to create the server, do I just need this:

https://forum.ragezone.com/f245/gunz-1-5-complete-source-1200915/

or should I download it from another thread?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just don't know where to start and I'm a bit clumsy.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

If you are fine with updating the source to VS2019, that link will do fine. Just note you will need to fix various things to get it to build on anything that is not Visual Studio 2003.

If you aren't, opt for one of the repacks. Jorklenis' repack is basically just a poop ton of copy and pasted code from random source leaks. It's got a lot of stupid/broken poop in it, but if you just want a server up, it'll do.

In terms of MSSQL, I was able to run off 2019 with no issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
In the source of abby gunz, from there I always take it, still only need to activate some things that are in _DEBUG mode

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So..., Where can I find the working "save password" released/code?

Don't ask "how can I copy and paste"

Ask "How can I do this?"

First, I would say Do not introduce a "save password" function to your server.

The traditional method Gunz servers have been using is horrible. It saves their username and password in Windows' registry, in plaintext.

This is a bad idea.

If you don't care about the security of your users, read these.

So when they login, you Write their password to a registry key, e.g "password".
When the client starts, it will Read from the registry, then populate the MEdit widget on the login frame.

I'm not going to spoon feed you code. You run a server, so learning is necessary now.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't ask "how can I copy and paste"

Ask "How can I do this?"

First, I would say Do not introduce a "save password" function to your server.

The traditional method Gunz servers have been using is horrible. It saves their username and password in Windows' registry, in plaintext.

This is a bad idea.

If you don't care about the security of your users, read these.

So when they login, you Write their password to a registry key, e.g "password".
When the client starts, it will Read from the registry, then populate the MEdit widget on the login frame.

I'm not going to spoon feed you code. You run a server, so learning is necessary now.

Spoon feed me the graphical code for the client :p

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread is still available for questions, but I'm quite new to the forum so I'll try it here.

I used/configured the Gunz 1.5 repack by Jur13n (the clean version) and set up everything on my local machine (Windows 11).
The locator and Match server open fine,however, the MatchAgent program won't open, and the corresponding dump displays that:

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

When I try to log-in on the server with the client, the server crashes and its dump shows the same error message as the MatchAgent program.

I have tried running as admin, but to no avail... Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm retired, I'm already
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread is still available for questions, but I'm quite new to the forum so I'll try it here.

I used/configured the Gunz 1.5 repack by Jur13n (the clean version) and set up everything on my local machine (Windows 11).
The locator and Match server open fine,however, the MatchAgent program won't open, and the corresponding dump displays that:

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

When I try to log-in on the server with the client, the server crashes and its dump shows the same error message as the MatchAgent program.

I have tried running as admin, but to no avail... Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Rebuild with the Match Agent source code and try again.

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score

What write is causing the crash?

Upvote 0
Back